Key and Alarm Control Together At Last - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Key and Alarm Control Together At Last

I thought I would share this with you all since I have found it useful for me.

In last years CCR I was introduced th the "Chicane" line of products. When I purchased their tank bag it was pointed out that I was also receiving a Key Fob in addition to the bag. I really thought nothing of it until I discovered that it had 2 rings. It took me about 1 second to realize that my dreams of combining the alarm control to the ignnition key had been answered. I was borrowed a drill and quickly made a hole in the top of the key so I could attach it to the Fob. I then acquired a small piece of velcro to hold the fob in place when in the ignition.

The rest is history...

Enjoy,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Fob.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1459  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 7:06 pm

I like it!
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 5:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
It took me about 1 second to realize that my dreams of combining the alarm control to the ignnition key had been answered.
Other solutions for achieving the dream in the HoW (m.8).

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 8:10 am

After buying the Chicane LT bag, it came with the key ring. As with you, a great piece of equipment to keep the fob/key together.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #5 of 9 Old Jan 8th, 2006, 9:42 am

Exclamation

WARNING!!!!!

BMW has a really good reason to say in the owners manual that a key fob SHOULD NOT BE USED! Also probably why they do not put a hole in the key.

When you turn, the fob can get caught between the fork cover and top fairing. NOT a good thing.

There have been other ways people have used to attach the fobs to the key solidly and have the fob sticking up above the key, but not loose and able to slip down and get caught. Usually they used one of the metal keys without the rubber cover on it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 1:54 am

DAve....I think that's why they put the velcro on the fob. It looks like it'll keep the fob from just flopping around and getting caught as you pointed out. I'm with you though. It looks like it could possibly come loose and do some damage. I opted to do some grinding on my metal key and epoxy'd it into the fob. It's been working for 10K with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00778.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1491  

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #7 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Actually Dave, I attached the velcro to the fob case and then to the steering cover with a velcro pad. It has never come loose. Can you present a case in which a key fob has cause this to happen? Perhaps I should modify this setup??? Any suggestions???

It has been on the bike for about 6,000 miles now. No problems....

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
Actually Dave, I attached the velcro to the fob case and then to the steering cover with a velcro pad. It has never come loose. Can you present a case in which a key fob has cause this to happen? Perhaps I should modify this setup??? Any suggestions???

It has been on the bike for about 6,000 miles now. No problems....
I missed the Velcro part. Just be sure you use it every time!

I never had anything attached to my key, but did have something jam under the radio faring in the garage when working on the bike once. Saw quickly how easily this could cause a real problem if riding. Just a slight jam up when turning could put the bike down.

I don't remember any posted instance of this actually happening, but likely because of the warning in the operator manual, and continued posts here about the issue over the past 5 years have prevented all but a very few from putting anything on the key. Some have added soft things like leather or even the plastic "curly" fobs just to make them easier to find in a pocket, but nothing hard that could jam under the fairing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2006, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I missed the Velcro part. Just be sure you use it every time!

I never had anything attached to my key, but did have something jam under the radio faring in the garage when working on the bike once. Saw quickly how easily this could cause a real problem if riding. Just a slight jam up when turning could put the bike down.

I don't remember any posted instance of this actually happening, but likely because of the warning in the operator manual, and continued posts here about the issue over the past 5 years have prevented all but a very few from putting anything on the key. Some have added soft things like leather or even the plastic "curly" fobs just to make them easier to find in a pocket, but nothing hard that could jam under the fairing.
Thanks Dave for the Quick Reply. I wouldn't want to be responsible for something happening to someone else from my well intended suggestion for convienence of attaching the 2 together.

The fob hanging down was an early issue for me as I noticed that it didn't get real close to the steering head, but was starting to rub off the finish on the plastic cover. So, the velcro pad accompliched 2 things

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in