2002 LTE Buyers regret during winter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Question 2002 LTE Buyers regret during winter

Here's my 2002LTE saga...Bought mine spur-of-the-moment in August at the Lima BMW rally. $14,000 with 4,400 on the clock. My LTE has GPS, CB, and everything else. Rode it a little in the Fall, got the 6,000 mile warranty work done ($250) and have wintered it until spring. Dropped it once when the sidestand did it's quirky "i don't work in neutral" thing.

Paid about $750 to wire up a couple of helmets.
Paid $1,000 in sales tax
Paid $150 for new gel battery and tender

Based on all the info on this site I know I probably paid a little too much and if I had to sell it could maybe get $12K. Maybe. Then... Cincinnati Dealer went kaput last month.

I'm not real keen on doing the work and now the nearest dealer is 100 miles ... either Louisville or Indianapolis.

Just looking for some words of encouragement or maybe some other 2002 LTE riders for their perspective on my bike, the mileage, my rear-drive failure potential and any other discussion to help me get thru the next few months of buyers regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Just looking for some words of encouragement or maybe some other 2002 LTE riders for their perspective on my bike, the mileage, my rear-drive failure potential and any other discussion to help me get thru the next few months of buyers regret.
Too bad you live where there is a "riding season"! I cannot comprehend that, never having lived where you cannot ride year round.

I would think that come spring and you get a couple rides in that the regret will melt away rapidly, along with the snow.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 am

Don't know where you are located or how harsh winter is, because you haven't filled out your profile. But winter can do that to you, just try buying a boat!

Best advice.... you'll feel better with the first ride.

As far as 100 miles to a dealer now, Just ride it. I live in Southern Oregon, ride year round, and its 50 miles to my dealer. If he's busy, which he usually is, its 120 miles to the nearest. It wouldn't matter if it were 400.

I have a 2000 with around 70,000 miles and a rear drive failure doesn't keep me from going anywhere. If it happens, I'll get it fixed. I don't do my own wrenching. There are too many LT's on the road without failure to be worried about it, be aware of it just not worried.

Be assured, winter will end, but the road never does.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

post #4 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:48 am

Smile worries

Wow,
I wish my 2001 only had 6k miles on it. But then that would mean I never get to ride! I would not worry at all about the rear end failure. I never think about it but thats me. Do you know anything about maintenance on machines etc? The best thing you could do is attend a tech session in your area to get familar with your bike. It's easy to work on once you have witnessed how to do the basics. Even if you think you paid too much that's a point you should not dwell on. This bike is just plain fun to ride and the payoffs are worth the price in my opinion. I paid full price for my bike in Feb 2001 but never regretted it since. I have spent a shit load of money on farkles and gadgets etc but I still think its a great bike and I love my fellow LT brothers and sisters out there. You just need a dose of miles to get over your misgivings that's all! Ride safe and hope you get to ride soon.

Quote:
Here's my 2002LTE saga...Bought mine spur-of-the-moment in August at the Lima BMW rally. $14,000 with 4,400 on the clock. My LTE has GPS, CB, and everything else. Rode it a little in the Fall, got the 6,000 mile warranty work done ($250) and have wintered it until spring. Dropped it once when the sidestand did it's quirky "i don't work in neutral" thing.

Paid about $750 to wire up a couple of helmets.
Paid $1,000 in sales tax
Paid $150 for new gel battery and tender

Based on all the info on this site I know I probably paid a little too much and if I had to sell it could maybe get $12K. Maybe. Then... Cincinnati Dealer went kaput last month.

I'm not real keen on doing the work and now the nearest dealer is 100 miles ... either Louisville or Indianapolis.

post #5 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:51 am

Winters ):

Yep I know just how you feel. I am sitting here in South Dakota and freezing my A** off. The bikes are in the Toy Shed and won't be taken out until May. But! when they are taken out we manage to ride 15,000 to 20,000 miles during the riding season for us. We plan trips during the winter and do the maintenance on them.
post #6 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Don't worry about it. In Spring you'll be wishing you had purchased this bike earlier...

Purchase an extended warranty and perform the recommend services, then you relax worrying about the "potential" problems.

Don't be surprised that you'll feel like moving to warmer area so you can ride more!!! Trust me you'll LOVE the bike. Use this time to upgrade it with those little farkles you always wanted.

My dealer is 53 miles away, and I always enjoy the ride to/back from the dealer. Of-course my wallet is a lot lighter for the ride home.

Congratulations and enjoy your new ride (as weather allows)!

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #7 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:16 pm

I agree with everything said. My dealer is 75 miles away, but I just make an adventure out of it when I have to go and I'm there in no time. Besides, once I'm there I ALWAYS find something I can't live without, which is part of the fun.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #8 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanx for the encourgement guys. I live in N. Kentucky just by Cincy. I'm really looking forward to the BMW rally in July in Burlington, Vermont. I've already got the hall pass from my wife. Probably see Niagra Falls on the way.

As far as my regrets... you all are right. This is my one toy and worring about it fretting over the $$$ is futile. Maybe I just shouldn't be reading so much m-cycle stuff. I'm really itching for the saddle.

see U
post #9 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:23 pm

KYchris02,
You will fell better on the first sunny day. I don't know where you are (you didn't complete your profile), but I'm sure not late then May you will be back on the road.
I do have a 2002 with almost 50K on it (bought new) and I do have a dealer only 18 miles from my house, but when I need it, I prefer to ride 110 miles (220 round trip) just because that second dealer is much better then the close one.
Also, try to learn how to work with your bike. When I first start it (1999 was my first LT), I didn't know anything about bikes and maintenance. But now, thanks to many members of this forum, I do 80% of my maintenance, from oils, tires, water change to valve checks. You will see that worth to know.
Then, when the ridding season cames, just ride it. Plan long trips and you will see how that clock will jump from 6K to 20K in few weeks

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #10 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Talking Don't Fret

I would not worry about regret at all. I bought my 05 Sept 17th and put about 3k on it so far. My dealer is over 230 miles from my house and find it a great excuse to take a few days off and go ride. Currently i am installing BMR shelf for GPS. I started that project yesterday by taking the windscreen off and the left panel. I was a little aprehensive at first but decided 4 hours at $70/hour was a little steep and decided to try it myslef. I have an old /7 I have been tinkering with so the mechanical things do not bother me and in my past life i was a car stereo installer. I was alot younger and more flexible then but I am not affraid to tackle projects.

BTW, I rode last Friday did about 80 miles. Temp never got above 28.

Have fun and think spring.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Last edited by Lzyellodog; Jan 6th, 2006 at 12:29 pm. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:26 pm

I believe you have mis-diagnosed the problem. It is not buyer's remorse, but rather "can'tgetout&ride" disease. All kidding aside, a good long ride will put the smile back on your face. My 2002 started life as an LTC, but with all the goodies I have added, GPS, Intercom, CB, XM Radio, custom seat, rhinewest chip, remus exhaust... well, I guess you see where this is going. Anyway, by now I believe mine qualifies as an LT"X" for Extreme. 56K+ miles on the odometer, no dealer I would trust within 200 miles, been doing all my own services for the last 30K miles. On December 29-20 I rode 1,511 miles in 22hours 48 minutes for the IBA Bun Burner Gold, then on back home for a total of 2,187 miles in 36 hours, 11 minutes elapsed time start to finish. The bike is fantastic. Just give it some time and miles. The smiles will come.

Jim Bain, Rallymaster
Cape Fear 1000 Rally
IBA # 350

Last edited by jebain2002; Jan 6th, 2006 at 12:27 pm. Reason: typo
post #12 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Unhappy The winter blues

Chris,

I know just how you feel...winter and all. I'm watching the snow fall outside my window as I type this. I live near Cleveland, Ohio.

Anywho...about your other concerns. I wouldn't worry about dealer locations too too much. 100 miles is NOTHING on an LT. My wife and I had lunch with some forum friends last summer. 330 miles EACH way! And my wife absolutely loved it. So to ride 100 miles, get your LT serviced, then ride 100 miles back home? No big deal. I'd bet you find a way to make the return trip even longer.

And if you don't want to wait until the MOA National Rally to meet some folks and learn a TON about your new bike...Why don't you join some of us down at the LT Spring Training Camp II? Read all about it in the South East Forum. Great riding area! Great food! Tech sessions! And LT camaraderie to boot!
post #13 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:42 pm

I have a dealer 5 mi from my house but I drive 159 mi to atlanta dealer.Have to get lottery ticket you see
post #14 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Buyers regret

I noticed you're pretty new to the forum and that you've only posted 16 times,

well right there is you're problem,

you need LT forum therapy.

Start by reading the archives,
join in on a couple of discussions,even if you don't know anything about them,
most of us including myself do it all the time.
Look at the gallery, get to know some of the members on the board,
tell a few jokes, ask a question about oil or tires or better yet start a religious discussion.
Next thing you know you've gained twenty pounds by sitting on your @ss in front of the computer all winter and the sun is shining outside because while you were so absorbed into all of the conversation, the seasons changed and it's time to get out there and ride.

Hang in there buddy, we'll help you get through this.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Quote:
This is my one toy and worring about it fretting over the $$$ is futile.
Resistance is futile, Ride it like you stole it every chance you get.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 2:58 pm

I live in Utah...You know, "Greatest Snow on Earth" and all..Funny part is, I'm originally from Cincinnati and with the exception of icier roads more days, it isn't too much worse. It dries out.
I ride all winter long. Assuming no snow and/or ice on the ground. It might get cold but they make gear for that!

Last edited by Macker; Jan 6th, 2006 at 5:01 pm.
post #17 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:32 pm

The only buyer's regret that I have is that I did not buy one sooner!!!

Sent you a PM, Chris!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #18 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Chris,

I have a dealer 45 miles away, but I go to one that is 125 miles away.

I make sure I schedule well in advance and make sure they know what I need to have done. I call a couple days before hand just to confirm and then I show up on time. I mainly use them for brake related work because they do good work, treat me and the bike with respect, and I trust them - the rest I do myself. Regardless, it makes for a chance to get out and see some folks I like and trust.

I am mechanically challenged, but through some service related how-to dvd's and the folks here who will bend over backwards to help you, I have gotten comfortable doing my own work (a couple sub-optimal experiences at a dealer gave me the nudge I needed).

Yeah, there are some big ticket catastrophic things that could happen, but I believe having a dealer closer would only minimize my towing charge at best. I guess what I am saying that dealer proximity won't help my rear drive.

To be honest, I think you are doing the right thing - asking questions and trying to educate yourself. Like other's have said, you don't have buyer's regret - you just hear the road calling...

Hang in there Chris - spring is coming! In the mean time, hang out here and welcome to the family!
post #19 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:23 pm

I think that he has cabin fever and is delirious! Ride every chance you get. We all fuss about things, but when you hit the road on your new 02 LT, you will forget all about and after a good day of 500+ miles you will know why you bought the LT.

Joe, I thought you rode your LT in the snow! Come on!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #20 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:24 pm

When I lived in the Appalachian Mountains, in Mass., we called that feeling “cabin fever”.
Last snow, frost was during May.
Bob
post #21 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Look on the bright side!

If it weren't for winter, I'd never get any of my "bike project" to-do list done! Too busy riding, about 15,000 miles last year. I finally had to put it away in the garage last month with the first substantial snowfall. Too much salt and sand on the roads up here now until the spring.

Now it's time to install the intercom and auxiliary lighting, plus do the routine (i.e.: 'not as much fun') work (tune, valve adjustment, fluids, etc).

Buyer's remorse? Nah, you just miss riding! (Don't we all - I envy those out there that can ride year round. January and February are killers.)
post #22 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
If it weren't for winter, I'd never get any of my "bike project" to-do list done!
I just got my new carbon fiber front fender in the mail today for the Ninja. You know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning!

A fresh pot of coffee, some tunes, my bikes, a heated garage . . . LIFE IS GOOD!!!
post #23 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Chris: Just performing my own 12K service on the '02. Changed oil/filter; tranny lube; rear drive lube; removed side panels and tupperware; remove the seat, gas tank and replaced the air filter; removed the sparkplugs (replaced) & valve cover to check valves; removed cam sprocket and cam to replace bucket (cam follower) swapped 2 around; pulled the throttle cables for lubrication (even against BMW recommendation); grinding down rear trunk latch fingers for smooth operation; adding LEDs to light-er-up. For the tech-no-champs on this board its cake! Winter projects (snowed in here).

Only way I was able to do this (even after much apprehension) was to visit the forum; gain insight; purchase a tech manual and print the info from the archives. These guys are great!!! Moral support and tech info all in one.

Dealer... 56 miles south. Buy my parts from them exclusively.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #24 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Too bad you live where there is a "riding season"! I cannot comprehend that, never having lived where you cannot ride year round.

I know how they feel having to put the bike up for winter, I put mine in the garage the day before yesterday after a 200 mile ride, probably won't get it back out till sunday it's supposed to be cold saturday, below 70 is cold right <grin>

Tom (runnin n duckin)

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #25 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Villa Hills, eh?

Quote:
Thanx for the encourgement guys. I live in N. Kentucky just by Cincy. I'm really looking forward to the BMW rally in July in Burlington, Vermont. I've already got the hall pass from my wife.
My sister-in-law lives there. I'm about 2 1/2 hours up the road from you, SE of Columbus. I'm fixin' to go to the BMWMOA rally in July; if things work out, maybe you could meet me on the way. (on the other hand, if my wife goes along she'll want to trailer the bike, drop me off at the rally, and tour Vermont while I attend the rally.)

I'm with all the others here who tell you to hang in there until Spring! This is my first year riding, and my first winter without!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:46 pm

Hey, at least you bought your LT used. I bought my 04 new. Sometimes I think of all the farkles I could of bought if I had just found this board earlier and considered buying a used bike. But really, I never think of the purchase price, just of how lucky I am to ride such a great bike.

I'm also bummed that the Cinci dealer closed. I had developed a relationship with the guys in the service dept., and they seemed friendly and competent.
Guess I'll have to try the Columbus dealer.

Get some winter riding gear. Some of the reasons I bought the LT are the great wind protection, heated seat and heated grips. Take advantage of the days in the mid 30's and up to ride. I live just east of Dayton OH. Rode to work last friday. It is great to show up at work on a day everybody thinks your nuts for riding because its too cold.

Decent weather starts again about the first of March. Hang in there for another seven weeks and you will have it made.

Steve
2004 LT
Xenia OH
post #27 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcanup
I have a dealer 5 mi from my house but I drive 159 mi to atlanta dealer.Have to get lottery ticket you see
Hey Bill, I live 100 miles from you, thus I drive 100 miles past that same dealer in BHam to take mine to Atlanta or Knoxville or Nashville...but not BHAM.. shame isn't it?

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #28 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And if you don't want to wait until the MOA National Rally to meet some folks and learn a TON about your new bike...Why don't you join some of us down at the LT Spring Training Camp II? Read all about it in the South East Forum. Great riding area! Great food! Tech sessions! And LT camaraderie to boot!
Come join us, you'll learn the basics in the tech sessions for sure..

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #29 of 29 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:39 pm

Talking Start Gittin Ready For Spring!

Quote:
Well Son,

As you know I ride an '02. We named our bike "Radar Love" in the beginning. It was not too many miles down the road the we re-named her "Traveller."

That should say it all.

Here are some pics from Deals Gap. You need to ride down there this coming spring! Hope to see ya there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cigar.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	1457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cigar2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	1458  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in