Trunk Rack Bag...What Do You Recommend - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:51 am Thread Starter

Trunk Rack Bag...What Do You Recommend

Wonder which is the most popular of bags for the LT trunk rack. Wonder what you have and why you like it?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:17 am

Thumbs up Good Question.........

I'm wondering also.....
Right now I'm leaning toward Mags Bags because of large volume, 31 litres, and the waterproof cover4.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Wonder which is the most popular of bags for the LT trunk rack. Wonder what you have and why you like it?
I purchased a Chicane bag at CCR05. I like it.

http://chicaneusa.com/

Nathan Coe
K1600GLT
R1200GSA
Orem Utah

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:31 am

See this post

We just went through this.

Cheers

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:46 am

Thumbs up No competition, IMHO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
We just went through this.
Yes...but that thread didn't have my input in it...therefore, it was void of all sound advise!

Thee best rack bag has got to be the Chicane Bag. It looks as nice as their tankbag, if not nicer. Has the integrated/attached rain cover, side pockets on three sides, and is big enough to be more-than-functional . . . but not TOO big. This is the third rack bag I've had, and by far, my favorite. If you get one that's too big, it make the LT WAY TOO top heavy...YIKES! And, it doesn't help your mileage any either.

post #6 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:56 am

I just use the same bag I take on my kayak. Completely waterproof, no fussing with covers. Reasonably priced. Almost any size you think will work. Most colors and clear.

No matter what bag you put on it makes the bike look ugly, just look at Joes pictures. So why not get something that works.

Rick
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:57 am

Trunk Bag

I have the Mags Bag and like it. It is very easy getting it on and off the bike and has never been an issue with stability. I like the fact that I can keep it in the smaller capacity set up most times but can expand it when we are on an extended trip. I also like the ease and visibility if the enclosed rain cover.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #8 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:02 am

Another option

I use a dry sack bought at REI for under $30 and secure it with a cargo net when traveling. I put all the items that I won't need during the time on the road in the dry sack. I keep stuff like Kaye's raingear under the cargo net in it's own bag or in the trunk/side cases so it is accessable. My riding gear is Darien 'Stitch so no need for rain gear.

The dry sack is not as slick looking as the Chicane Bag (I have & love their tank bag) but it does the job at a fraction of the cost.

I use to have a custom bag similar to the Chicane Trunk Bag on my Ultra and found the dry sack/cargo net setup to be far more flexible so when I got the LT I didn't even consider anything else.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #9 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:04 am

Talking Now THAT's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
I just use the same bag I take on my kayak. Completely waterproof, no fussing with covers. Reasonably priced. Almost any size you think will work. Most colors and clear.

No matter what bag you put on it makes the bike look ugly, just look at Joes pictures. So why not get something that works.

Rick
I noticed "T-Ricky" didn't post pics of his gloriously fuctional bag. No brand. No link. No nuttin'! Just the "same bag I take on my kayak". Well now...isn't THAT some helpful information!

Got any other great advise we should all know about?

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:33 am

I use the same bag on my Black Wing that I used on my LT
....oops, sorry Joe, here's the link: http://www.bobsbmw.com/parts_accesso...hys/index.html

regards
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:39 am

Mag's Bag's hands down. It fite the rack pefectly and expands easily. Velcro straps go through the holes on the factory trunk rack. I used it on the CCR ride last year and wouldn't be without it! http://www.magsbags.com/k1200ltbag.html

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:22 pm

I use the RKA bag made for the factory rack. I have been very happy with it.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/pages/11l...200LTRACK.html
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 1:47 pm

RKA here too. I like the side pockets for small things and the rain cover. Also that it is expandable when needed. It has a hand carry handle as well as shoulder strap. Fits perfectly and uses velcro in the factory slots on the rack. I'm very happy with it.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Another vote for the Chicane bag. Seems like it is just the right size. Really straps on solid, nice integrated rain cover. Great Quality! Use is to store my rain suit or light bulky items.

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Third vote for RKA. It has a lot of space when expanded and I keep my laptop in it when I can not take my regular work case with me.

The only disadvantage I have found with it is the "self-emptying" feature of the lid pockets. All the little things always fall out when the lid of the bag bends down after opening. The direction of the "mouth" of these pockets shoud be reversed.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #16 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Sorry Joe, sometimes I assume other people do things other than ride motorcycles. (smiley face)
Your basic dry bag is what I use. Have about 4 sizes for the same price as a bag made for the LT. Plus they come in handy for a lot of other things like storing tools in a wet climate with some desiccant. (face with rain above)

Here is the lowest price for a good bag that I'm aware of.
http://216.211.137.226/productcart/p...1&idproduct=33

(funny face, funny face, funny face)

Rick
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Another option....

I use Kathy's Rack Bag. I think it was $70-$80 bucks and is waterproof and expandable. Sits tight on the rack and easy to remove also. I love mine, but haven't tried any of the other bags...

My .02

'10 1200 GSA -- Banana!!
'06 CRF450X -- Just trouble
BMWMOA #132301

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Yep, we just went thought this. I just got in the mail a bag from Helen Twowheels. The make a bag called Clothes sack which has three sizes. We bought the medium bag. What I like so far is it water proof, has no zipper and your roll it up as you take out put in items. I have secured it with velcro straps bought a hardware store. http://www.helen2wheels.com/products/index.html
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Cool

I use a white glad tall kitchen garbage bag, with some duct tape, it doesn't really matter the wifes stuff goes in it anyway!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:53 am
Super Moderator

I have Kathy's top case bag from Bob's BMW. It's waterproof (no cover needed), fits the rack well, is expandable and holds quite a bit of stuff. I've stuffed it full and ridden through hundreds of miles of rain and everything stayed dry. IMHO it's the best value out there for a top rack bag.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #21 of 21 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:43 am

Has anyone tried this bag?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-K...temZ4603023673

2001 K1200LTC
1988 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane
1986 Honda 750 Night Hawk
1980 Honda CB750F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in