How to replace Windshield? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

How to replace Windshield?

I will probably feel silly, but I can't find on the board any information on how to change windshields. Mainly, how do you take the two chrome pieces off the front of the windshield to get to the screws without breaking anything. Thanks for your help and don't fuss too much because I did look in FAQ and Technical sections. Thanks in Advance
Leon
05 Blue LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Easily done!

Remove the chrome covers by pulling on them; be sure to pull from the center or inside of each cover and they will snap right off. Just go in reverse to put them back on. Underneath the chrome covers are 2 screws for each side. That's it!
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

More specific removal instructions!

If you're standing directly in front of the windshield. Stand off to the left and pull the left cover towards yourself by grabbing from the inside right hand side of the left cover. On the right side, stand off to the right and pull the right cover towards yourself by grabbing from the inside left side of the right cover.

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:05 pm

don't be alarmed...

In addition to what's already been said, don't be alarmed by the very loud "SNAP" the chrome covers make when you pull them off, and also when you put them back on. First time I changed my windshield I thought ".... uh ... what was THAT??!".

It's OK. It's normal.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Now the decision of whether to order -1 or -2 #2 Cee Bailey windshield.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 7:37 am

Smile

Be carefull when removing the tabs on the front of the windshied or you may also end up with some free blood blisters on yer fingers like i did when i replaced my front screen!!
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:25 am

Also use new rubber spacers and do not over tighten screws or you can crack the windshield. Don't ask how I know.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
Thanks for the help. Now the decision of whether to order -1 or -2 #2 Cee Bailey windshield.
One thing I didn't hear mentioned here...using the heel of your hand, push the chrome piece INWARD. Then using your fingertips, pull upward on the inside edge of the chrome pieces. Should come off with not a lot of effort. Also, make sure the shield is down all the way. Lastly, I'd advise than an extra pair of hands holding the shield provides a nice insurance policy. Especially the first time that you do it.

As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT.

Did your '05 come with the taller shield, or the lower 'Euro' shield?
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:04 am

Does the Cee Bailey or any new windshield really make that much of difference? I have the tall OEM windshield on my 05.

What advantages can be had with them?

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
Does the Cee Bailey or any new windshield really make that much of difference? I have the tall OEM windshield on my 05.

What advantages can be had with them?
There are days and days of information if you use the search feature...especially in the archived forum. Almost any thrid-party shield is going to be WAY clearer than the OEM shield. My Cee Baileys shield is simply awesome. Another advantage to the third-party shields is that you can choose different profiles that offer even better wind/rain protection...and less wind buffeting. I found the stock shield on my '02 to be rather annoying...especially the higher I raised it.

My advise would be to find someone locally that has a different shield and see if you like it. Or, go to CCR'06 or LT SPRING TRAINING CAMP II and checkout the many options in person.
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:44 am

Thanks Joe,

I was reading the post and the questoin just kinda popped in my head. I was on a con call for work. Not sure I will get to CCR this year but what is LT Spring Training. Alright I will search for it.

I do find quite alot of buffeting and i have a sweet spot that I keep the OEM one at to reduce the wind buffeting.

There is soo much info it is almost overwhelming.

Jim

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:50 am

Thumbs up Stc Ii

SPRING TRAINING CAMP II. Checkout the SouthEast Forum for more information. They don't seem to mind us Yankees going down there . . . just so we bring lots of money and spend it while we're there!
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
One thing I didn't hear mentioned here...using the heel of your hand, push the chrome piece INWARD. Then using your fingertips, pull upward on the inside edge of the chrome pieces. Should come off with not a lot of effort. Also, make sure the shield is down all the way. Lastly, I'd advise than an extra pair of hands holding the shield provides a nice insurance policy. Especially the first time that you do it.

As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT.

Did your '05 come with the taller shield, or the lower 'Euro' shield?
Mine came with the tall windshield and I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the saddle so I will need at least stock height.
Leon
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideIt
Mine came with the tall windshield and I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the saddle so I will need at least stock height.
Leon
My Cee Baileys #2 -2" is just a hair over stock height...and I love the profile and clarity! Below is a pretty nice pic of what the shield looks like. (And you get a sneak peek at what the LT looks like w/o the tour trunk too.)

post #15 of 21 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I agree with Joe. Standing on the outside of the bike push the chrome covers inward with the butt of both hands and lift up with your fingernails on the inward edge. They pop right off.

As for the Cee Baileys. I bought mine at the BMW RA rally in Shelbyville. I am 5'10" tall. Tried the standard height type 1 --too high, tried the -2 type 1--aslo too high, tried the -4 type 2 with wings, absolutely perfect. The type 2 shape forces air higher while still maintaining a height I can still look over in the down postion. Really cut back on the turbulence from the stock '05 shield.

I am a big fan of Cee Bailey's quality. Their shield also did wonders on my VStrom.

Ken Norris
Union, Kentucky
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
Beemer-less....for now!
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Thanks to Joe, Ken and Jerrod for this old thread. The technique to replace a winshield was bang on. And once apart it is easy to see how incorrectly prying on the chrome covers could break them. Using this technique, it's pretty simple.

Cheers,
Gord
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Joe,

".......As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT........." unquote.

Excellent and timely info for me. One can't beat having comparative info like this to help the decision making. Not my thread but Thanks!

Carl

K1200LT w/ KLT s/c
K1100LT w/ ECC
KLR-650

N9BMN
FD <> 4%

bmwmoa 100984

post #18 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 9:17 am

The windscreen screws have a habit of loosening from tiome to time and locktite can harm the material.
I use clear fingernail polish on the screws before installing and no probs.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #19 of 21 Old Oct 14th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Itīs usefull to know how to replace the windshield when i get mine.

Just ordered CeeBaileys #2+2 with wings.
Iīm 6ī2" and like to ride on freeway with raised shield looking through. With my stock tall shield when i look over, itīs raised half way. Thatīs why i ordered the +2.
I will post as soon as i ride it first time.
post #20 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
The windscreen screws have a habit of loosening from tiome to time and locktite can harm the material.
I use clear fingernail polish on the screws before installing and no probs.
I've read the Loctite No-No, but what makes you think that fingernail polish is safe?

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #21 of 21 Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0lxx
Also use new rubber spacers and do not over tighten screws or you can crack the windshield. Don't ask how I know.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND
FM says tightening torque is 2 Nm (about 18 in-lb). If you don't have a torque wrench that reads that low, a good rule of thumb is to torque just until you see the rubber spacers start to squash.

The cracking will not necessarily occur immediately - if you over-tighten the screws, cracking could occur days later....

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in