Thoughts on the weight of an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Question Thoughts on the weight of an LT

I read and hear a lot about the weight of our LTs. I still struggle with mine. When I move it in my garage I still have to be on the bike with my toes barely touching the floor. I am 5'7". I have ridden this bike (99 LTC) 25K in the two years I have owned it and I am still afraid I will drop it, especially when riding two up, which is quite often. That said it is still my bike of choice and I own seven bikes. Here is where I am going with this: Last fall I was riding on I-40 outside of Knox. Tenn. It was pouring the rain and just about dark. I had to pass two big rigs running about 70mph. At that time I was happy for all 800 and some pounds of my LT. I also doubt the bike could be as comfortable as it is if it weighed less. What do others think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:21 am

I agree 95%

For commuting/around town, short trips, I prefer my GS.

Out on the highway, nothing beats the LT !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:27 am

Motorcycles are the epitome of the inverse relationship (trade-offs)

That's exactly right; it's an inverse relationship between substantial bike weight and comfortable, confidence inspiring freeway riding speeds. Reduce the bike weight and you lose some integrity and comfort at freeway riding speeds. These things have all been considered in the engineering trade-offs of the bike, as well as the profitability of what is being engineered into the product. Many still think they can do better and make it more reliable and blah blah blah... of course they'll want to be spending someone else's money to test it and achieve it too; always looks easier when you're watching from the outside than when you're actually involved in the process. Motorcycles have a lot of requirements from people that contradict one another in the law of physics but that doesn't keep them from asking anyway.

post #4 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:13 am

We do not have as many K1200LT's in The Netherlands as there are in the US. But, we know that the KLT is hard to handle, so it seems. That is why we organize a training course for beginning KLT drivers (1 day) and one for experiences riders (4-days mountains with at least 3000 curves in it) each year.

If you have learned how to deal with the weight, it will never be hard anymore. Turning is easy, even with two people on it, you know where to be on the road, how to turn around the bike, how to emergency-brake and many things more. Handling at high speed is part of that training as well as training to ride at night.

We do that as Dutch KLT community, it is worth while doing, you get some discount on insurance fees and it is very nice be around with other KLT drivers.

It should be possible to do that in the US as well, some east, some west, some north ... Just get it done, it is truely helpful. I have albums full with photo's of our group and we are just about to organize the one for 2006.
post #5 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:24 am

a full-featured touring bike will be heavy, but it does not have to be TOP heavy. there are lots of directions BMW could go in to minimize the top heaviness:

1) move at least a portion of the fuel cell lower ... perhaps under the seat, like the wing.
2) redesign the engine shape so that the footpegs can be positioned closer together ... this will allow you to lower the engine in the chassis.
3) jettison the telelever front end and use conventional telescopic fork. this will never happen because telelever is a sacred cow at BMW that someone has built a career on, but sometimes "advanced technology" is not "better technology." i think telelever adds up-high weight and complexity, and it makes the bike clumsy at low speeds.
4) make the bike narrower between the knees so that it does not "feel" as bulky, and so that shorter riders can get a more firm footing.
post #6 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
a full-featured touring bike will be heavy, but it does not have to be TOP heavy. there are lots of directions BMW could go in to minimize the top heaviness:

3) jettison the telelever front end and use conventional telescopic fork. this will never happen because telelever is a sacred cow at BMW that someone has built a career on, but sometimes "advanced technology" is not "better technology." i think telelever adds up-high weight and complexity, and it makes the bike clumsy at low speeds..

Not mean to flame but IMHO... Just about the dumbest thing I have read on this site in a long time.

Vince Weidig
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #7 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliner2052
Not mean to flame but IMHO... Just about the dumbest thing I have read on this site in a long time.
feel free to disagree. we all have opinions. but out of respect and common courtesy i will not call you "dumb" for having one that is different from mine.

i find it interesting that the new dirt-ready R bike has conventional forks.
post #8 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:46 am

Look closer, he did not call you dumb, he called your idea dumb. big difference.

Now, could you explain why you think the design is bad?
post #9 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 11:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Four days in the Dutch mountains! Forget the Mexico expedition in the Fall, sign me up.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
Look closer, he did not call you dumb, he called your idea dumb. big difference.

Now, could you explain why you think the design is bad?
sure. as i understand it, the telelever design puts a damper at the top of a very complex series of pivots and linkages. the whole idea behind the system is to create a shock that does not "dive" under braking.

and it works. slam on the brakes and you will see. the forks do not dive.

but it also feels "wooden" in my opinion. it does not react as smoothly to pavement ripples. and it feels harsh to me when i slam on the brakes.

maybe i'm old school, but to me telescopic forks feel much smoother, and less harsh when you lay on the binders. i also believe modern, inverted forks (with sliders attached to the axle tubes in the triple clamp) is much lighter and less bulky, freeing up space that can be used for electronics and other stuff.

like i said, i find it interesting that the new competition dirt R bike uses conventional forks. if telelever is so great, and in light of how long it has been refined, why wouldn't they use it in their latest, greatest bike?

my opinion, anyway. i knew it would ruffle some feathers.
post #11 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Quote:
3) jettison the telelever front end and use conventional telescopic fork. this will never happen because telelever is a sacred cow at BMW that someone has built a career on, but sometimes "advanced technology" is not "better technology." i think telelever adds up-high weight and complexity, and it makes the bike clumsy at low speeds.
HUH?? I sure would not want that! I love the way the bike handles with the Telelever, especially the anti-dive aspect of it.

Maybe the new front end that is on the new K bikes, but have read both pro and con about that. One large motorcycle magazine did not like it at all, said it isolated the feel TOO much, and made handling feel sluggish. I would have to see for myself.

I would NOT want to go back to telescopic forks on an LT.

The dual sport bikes could not use Telelever it because of the limited travel Telelever has by default, but that is not an issue on highway bikes. Apples and oranges.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Quote:
like i said, i find it interesting that the new competition dirt R bike uses conventional forks. if telelever is so great, and in light of how long it has been refined, why wouldn't they use it in their latest, greatest bike?

my opinion, anyway. i knew it would ruffle some feathers.
Telelever is limited in travel by design restrictions, but that is not an issue on highway bikes, a BIG issue in dual sport and off road bikes. Cannot compare the two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #13 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
HUH?? I sure would not want that! I love the way the bike handles with the Telelever, especially the anti-dive aspect of it.
i love the way MY bike handles, too ... and have said so many times. but i distinguish between "handling" and "suspension performance."

the handling is super stable for a bike of its size and weight. truly one of the best cornering touring bikes ever.

but the suspension, to me, feels very wooden.

no doubt that it improves if you update the damper to ohlin. but that would also be true if you go to ohlins telescopic forks. i'm just not convinced that telelever technology is worth the added weight and complexity, at least not in its current form.
post #14 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:50 pm

A few points:
  1. Yes, substantial weight is a "good thing" on a tourer. I just don't think 853 pounds is necessarily "substantial". It's overkill. My Ninja ways just over 520, and it is VERY stable passing semis. I would think that a 750-pound LT wouldn't feel too different than our current LT.
  2. Finding ways to lower the COG would make this bike feel a whole lot lighter, without even shedding one pound. But if BMW found a way to lower the COG and get it around 750 pounds wet...Wow! It would be terrific!
  3. I believe the new LT will have the new front suspension on it. The Hossack-type suspension. That should shed some weight from the front end.
  4. "i find it interesting that the new dirt-ready R bike has conventional forks." That's because it's a DIRT-ready bike. It needs WAY more wheel travel than we'll ever need. You will NEVER see traditional forks on any touring BMW bike...ever again. End of discussion.
  5. "Look closer, he did not call you dumb, he called your idea dumb. big difference." I LOVE IT! And...it happens to be "true".
post #15 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Quote:
This is probably the only thing that saved Don Authur's life. It doesn't feel wooden or clumsy to me. But then what do I know.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #16 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:35 pm

"Finding ways to lower the COG would make this bike feel a whole lot lighter, without even shedding one pound. But if BMW found a way to lower the COG and get it around 750 pounds wet...Wow! It would be terrific!"

Got to agree with Joe on this one. I'm never "fighting" my Street Glide at 745lb or my Gold Wing at 820lb in a parking lot. For me the low COG of the other two make them effortless to maneuver with or without a passenger.

But to be honest, since I "live" below 4000 rpm and am not a peg dragging rider, the LT just didn't work for me inspite of all it's excellent features.

regards
post #17 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
But then what do I know.
prolly about as much as me. maybe more. but everyone has their own "feel" for a bike. i've been riding and racing bikes for more than 30 years, almost all with telescopic forks. it could be i'm just an old codger who resists change!

don't know what saved don's life, but even with all the LT's fancy suspension and power brakes, it is not the fastest-stopping bike you can buy. Motorcycle Consumer News just published its annual ratings for horsepower, torque, quarter-mile times, top speed and stopping distance. the new K1200S made the top-10 in horsepower, but NO BMW cracked the top 10 for stopping distance.
post #18 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Quote:
jettison the telelever front end and use conventional telescopic fork. this will never happen because telelever is a sacred cow at BMW that someone has built a career on, but sometimes "advanced technology" is not "better technology." i think telelever adds up-high weight and complexity, and it makes the bike clumsy at low speeds.
This design makes the LT so much safer in hard braking conditions, mostly by not allowing the nose-dive common on traditional front forks.
That is one thing I don't want to see gone...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Last edited by zippy_gg; Jan 5th, 2006 at 2:50 pm.
post #19 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
. . . it could be i'm just an old codger who resists change!
How very, um, conservative of you.

Quote:
. . . even with all the LT's fancy suspension and power brakes, it is not the fastest-stopping bike you can buy.
Yet another reason for dropping 100 or so lbs.

Personally, I think the LT handles fantastic in almost all situations. But ride a sub-600 pound bike for a couple of days, then get back on the LT. You will immediately feel like there is a large mass of lead or bricks just in front of your feet. Let's face it, BMWs tend to be over-engineered, which is one reason they last so long. But that comes at the price of thicker castings on the engine, frame, body panels, etc., all of which adds to the overall weight.

I want my bike to be stable but sporty, comfortable but fun, and to have as much advanced technology as possible (assuming it's made reliable, of course). Sure that's asking a lot, but then again if you're happy with the way things are you could choose from a lot of decent touring bikes for a lot less money. The Concours comes to mind, or any of the older Wings.

I'll stick with the LT , thanks. At least until '07/'08.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The Concours comes to mind, or any of the older Wings.

I'll stick with the LT , thanks. At least until '07/'08.
I had a Connie once and loved the performance and agility but hated the lack of comfort. Even with lowered pegs and bar risers it felt cramped, and the blood circulation in my hands would stop in heavy traffic with all my weight on the wrists.
My passenger hated the seat as she felt propelled forward onto me every time I used the brakes. It was an otherwise fun bike to ride solo.
In many aspect the LT was an improvement...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #21 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I also had a Connie between my '99 and '02 LTs. It was great for commuting, but I found we never rode on the weekends, just for fun. And when a long trip came up and we decided to take the car, then I knew it had to go. Fortunately BMW was offering massive end-of-year discounts . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:27 pm

What the hecks a connie ?.

04 your 05
in Blighty
post #23 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Cool

Quote:
How very, um, conservative of you.
now, ken ... i see no reason to insult me that way!

;-)

Quote:
Yet another reason for dropping 100 or so lbs.
that's what i used to think. but if you look at the all-time champs in terms of stopping power (at least according to MCN), the '97 Valkyrie and some other bikes you'd never expect are near the top of the list! it appears there is more to stopping than light weight. i think lighter weight bikes tend to lose traction quicker when you lean on the brakes.
post #24 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
What the hecks a connie ?.

04 your 05
in Blighty
A Concours.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #25 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Quote:
-----don't know what saved don's life, but even with all the LT's fancy suspension and power brakes, it is not the fastest-stopping bike you can buy.
The Telelever has likely been the saviour of more than one person, me included. There is a newspaper article posted at one of the local dealers about a CHP officer that attributes his still being here to the Telelever.

If you look at the angle of the Telelever arm, you can pretty easily see how this has become a non advertised safety feature of it. On a hard frontal hit, the frame of the bike will be kicked UP hard when the forks are slammed back, throwing the rider up. That happened to me in my first accident when I hit a 5 foot high embankment. The front of the LT was ripped completely out, but I ended up on TOP of the bank, in a manzanita bush. The CHP officer went OVER the car that pulled out in front of him, and in the picture it was pretty evident that if on a bike that would have dived down (telescopic forks) the rider would have slammed into the car, not thrown over it. Don said the same thing, he was kicked UP and went completely over the car, landing on the highway in front of it. Telescopic forks will dive down, dropping the bike below you and you will continue straight ahead, through the bars, windshield, etc. and into whatever you hit. In my accident, and I think this was true for Don also, there was not a scratch or even a bruise from the waist down.

Needless to say, I LOVE the Telelever now!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #26 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
A Concours.
what,s a Concours?.

04 your 05

in Blighty
post #27 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:48 pm

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #28 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 3:52 pm

Q - What's a Concours?

This

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #29 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 4:06 pm

GTR Kawasaki .
Thought they stopped making them in the 90s .

04 YOUR 05

IN Blighty
post #30 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 4:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey, mine didn't come with that accessory! Didn't need a bra, either.

The Concours is a decent bike, with full fairing, bags, 110 Hp and under 600 lbs. It's been basically the same bike since 1986, which has kept the price down to $8,200. As we'd just bought a house, an LT wasn't in the budget. But I never felt comfortable on it, and traded up in less than a year. There's a great support site at http://www.concours.org/

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Jan 5th, 2006 at 4:28 pm.
post #31 of 54 Old Jan 5th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
GTR Kawasaki .
Thought they stopped making them in the 90s .

04 YOUR 05

IN Blighty
Nope they are still around...The 2006 just showed-up in the local showroom in November. Almost no change since 1985.

Last noticeable change was mid 90's if I'm correct. I'm no expert on the subject, I just ride one. NO comparison to ride you get on the KLT.

VERY NICE bike for a day ride and the bags are removable (makes it look sporty).

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

post #32 of 54 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 3:33 am

I still smile when I use the brakes and the nose does not dive—smile of “How sweet it is!”

I still smile when I’m leaning into a turn and hit a bump—“How sweet it is!” when the wheel length does not change while cornering.

Bob
post #33 of 54 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:06 am

Talking To dive or not to dive . . . that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
...“How sweet it is!” when the wheel length does not change while cornering.
Actually, that's where I have to disagree with you...slightly. That is part of the problem (for lack of a better word) with the telelever front end. You want your front end suspension to compress when setting up for a turn. That's what shortens the wheelbase, therefore allowing for a better turning radius. I practice this on my Ninja constantly. Of course...there I go again. Comparing an 853-pound luxury tourer to a 520-pound sport-tourer.

I don't mean to argue though...I love the anti-dive myself. The only think I don't like about the LT's front end suspension is that it bottoms out too soon...not enough travel. But I do know the fix. (Wilburs or Ohlins!) I just don't want to fork out the $1400-ish to solve the issue. Freakin' CHEAPSKATE!!!
post #34 of 54 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:47 am

To me it's almost a love/less-love (didn't want to use hate as I don't hate it) relationship. Sometimes wrestling around the garage or maneuvering between a tight row of bikes at some biking event, or see a parking lot full of loose gravel, I grumble about it being a hippo, but once moving, it's a delightful bike.

I have a new GT coming and am hoping that its wind/weather management is just good; I just don't expect it to come up to the LT standards. Will I settle for just good and part with the LT. Probably not! With my Cee Bailey Wing/#2, mediocre weather gear, the LT is a phenomenal ride in just about everything but snow/ice.

Probably not the best place to pose this question for obvious reasons, but: If you [had] to own just one bike and could pick from today's inventory of bikes, what would it be?

I suspect for me it would be the LT!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #35 of 54 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 8:53 am
Bouncer

I just ride it. You never notice the weight once you get started.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #36 of 54 Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:30 pm

This weight issue seems to be coming up allot here lately.. As I've stated before, I just don't see the problem with the LT. I expected it to be a little heavy, its a big bike but the weight is totally manageable.. I'm probably just lucky cause I sit bent legged and flat footed on my LT...

The other question about only having one bike what would it be,,,, it would be the K1200LT, 2005 model, not interested in the new and improved 2008 model..
40 years of riding and I'm so glad I found the BMW before I got to old to ride.........Regards Pete
post #37 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 1:52 am
Ted

Exactly....the LT is about finesse...it's about trusting your riding skills and balance. I find that most of my distress comes pre-ride (do I really want to push this beast around, or find a level parking spot, etc...) but as soon as my feet hit the pegs I know I am riding one of the best bikes in the world.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #38 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 2:03 am
Ted

just fyi - my post below to Jeff was meant for you instead - maybe I'd feel different if I were 20 years old again, but I love the LT's ride so much I'm afraid I'd be very disappointed on most other bikes. For the majority of the riding I do now (freeways or Pacific Coast Highway at 80 - 100 mph) solo or w/ my wife, I just don't see anything other than the LT for overall comfort & performance.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #39 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:55 am

Wink

Ever since i started putting 100psi of helium in the front and 150 psi of helium in the rear tyre, my bike has never riden so good, nor felt so light!
post #40 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 7:59 am

You might want to try an 05'. I am 5'8 and have a narrower seat which was introduced on 05' and I have also managed to lower it nearly 1.5 inches with the removal of the seat height adjuster and hardware. I wear a pair of HD ridong boots with 1 inch heels. I can plant my feet directly on the ground if I scoot forward.

I also have the use of the hydraulic center stand so I always use it to park the bike before I get off of it.

The change in front end geometry allow me to easily turn the bike at very low speeds. The additional horsepower is also a plus.

IMHO, most of the issues of earlier models have been solved with e 05'.

Just a great bike and I ride it every day in town and on trips.

Owning a 2nd bike will simply be a novelty for me, not a solution.

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Last edited by S2DOG; Jan 7th, 2006 at 8:30 am.
post #41 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:19 am

Smile A compromise

I've owned several different bikes over the years and they all are different and used for a variety of riding. Each bike was a compromise and never perfect for all rides or locations. That being said, at this time in my life, for the type of riding I enjoy, the K1200 is the best I have found and I really don't dwell on it. I enjoy the limited amount of maintenance I am able to do, due in a large part to this board, and as others have said, JUST RIDE IT! Tha't what it is for. Some time it is possible to nit pick and forget why it has wheels. I simply don't understand why some seem to want to beat details to death!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #42 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I simply don't understand why some seem to want to beat details to death!
Tell me about it! LOL!!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #43 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:41 am

Hey 'budzee" and "leemans"; fill out your profile!

As far as the weight, I could stand to lose a few pounds but my wife loves me anyway!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #44 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:20 am

With all the complaints I just don't understand why these people have their LTs instead of something else. I have owned all kinds and weights of bikes. I took a demo ride one of the early LTs in '99. The "guide" told me "do not drive it like an amerikan". Run higher rpm and never lug the engine. I can take this fat Bi*** and toss it around in the corners just like a much lighter bike and it still wants to keep turning faster. I have a friend who has a 1800 wing and he didn't understand why I bought the LT. One day when we were doing some spirited riding, he decided to turn up the heat on a very curvey section of road that we both know very well. He could only slightly pull away on the straight sections but I could always catch him in the corners. On one lefthand corner with great view, he was going as fast as he could. He was dragging his pegs when I passed him on the inside. He told me he now understands why I bought the LT. Yes the bike is tall and heavy. It is not BMWs fault. God just put the sidewalk too far from my ass. I do not try to be too careful when riding at low speeds. It only causes things to become unstable. If I ride like I am in a hurry in a parking lot, everything goes great. This is the best full touring/sport bike that is available today IMHO. The heated seats that actually work are great up in the north country. The guys who have driven the new wings are saying the heated seats almost work. The bike is a machine, built by humans, and has the required wheels. It will not be perfect and some will have problems. No kidding!!!
(END OF RANT)

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #45 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Answering for myself only, it's because the LT is such a great bike and we love it so much. And, it's human nature (OK, this human's nature) to say "Wow, what if such-and-such was changed or tweaked. Then it would be even better."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #46 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:35 am

Talking

Quote:
well i guess we could just write, "the bmw is wonderful. what a bike!" again and again and again.

it is just human nature to imagine the possibilities, to continue to push the envelope. if a bike that goes 100 mph is great, then one that goes 120 is that much better. it is fun to speculate ... especially since we don't have to write any R&D checks!

the LT is a fabulous bike, and i'm with you in that it fulfills my needs better than any other bike available. but no mechanical device is perfect, and i think most would agree BMW should (and will) continue to refine it.
post #47 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:55 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
With all the complaints I just don't understand why these people have their LTs instead of something else.
Because most of these whiners got kicked out of every other motorcycle forum on the net, so they wound up here. This is kinda like Cyber-Australia!
post #48 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Exactly....the LT is about finesse...it's about trusting your riding skills and balance. I find that most of my distress comes pre-ride (do I really want to push this beast around, or find a level parking spot, etc...) but as soon as my feet hit the pegs I know I am riding one of the best bikes in the world.
I'm with you Ted! I still don't see any bike made that I would consider should I buy a new bike again. Yes, it was a heavy bike. Did I care? Not in the least. I think if BMW makes it lighter we will have someone griping "My _ _ _ _ model LT rode so well, but this new one is too light!".

The LT to me is the best large tourer out there, the new model likely will be also, if they don't make it look like the new GT. UGH! Watching for it with crossed fingers.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #49 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzee
I read and hear a lot about the weight of our LTs. I still struggle with mine. When I move it in my garage I still have to be on the bike with my toes barely touching the floor. I am 5'7". I have ridden this bike (99 LTC) 25K in the two years I have owned it and I am still afraid I will drop it, especially when riding two up, which is quite often. That said it is still my bike of choice and I own seven bikes. Here is where I am going with this: Last fall I was riding on I-40 outside of Knox. Tenn. It was pouring the rain and just about dark. I had to pass two big rigs running about 70mph. At that time I was happy for all 800 and some pounds of my LT. I also doubt the bike could be as comfortable as it is if it weighed less. What do others think?
At some point in time, you need to try the 05 model. I had an 01 LT, then went to RT because of the weight issue at slow speeds. While waiting for the BMW shop to put new rear tire on my RT, I test rode a 05 LT just to kill time. Well, the rest is history, to me there is a world of difference in slow speed handling of the 05. But, I do agree that the extra weight helps in less than perfect conditions on the road.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #50 of 54 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 6:14 pm

I went from a 00 to a 05 this year.....and the difference was awesome. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 00 and had no complaints, but I tripped over a deal on an 05 I could'nt resist and I'll never look back. The improvements were huge. And if you really wanna see an improvement drive it around a gas station parking lot looking for a pump when the tank is on empty!!! Geez....its like being on pedal bike!!! And don't kid yourself...you can get used to these machines after 4 or 5 days on a trip and just throw them into a turn and you know you're gonna come out of it ok. Theres no way I would drive a wing or a harley like I drive this LT.
I credit a lot of this to the telever suspension. I usually ride with Harleys..and watching them stop is a real show compared to the LT. And most importantly...as was mentioned earlier....the LT front suspension will not compress in an accident. You've got a better chance going thru the air awhile as long as you don't get hit by a car after you hit the ground. I recently lost two very good friends who were on a Harley...and it happened just as was earlier posted...they hit a car broadside, the bike dived, and they both hit head first on the pillar and edge of the roof of the car. One died instantly....his wife lasted 8 hours longer. Uh uh....no type of compressing fork front suspension for me. Its easy to learn to put your feet down a little bit earlier than you think you have to.
But back to what counts....if BMW could lower some of the weight from that gas tank the difference would be huge! If you don't belive me try the empty tank test and flip that beast all over the parking lot around a gas station setting yourself up for different pumps and you will be surprised. I might even start running with the tank only partially full unless I'm going on a trip just to keep the beast so much more nimble.

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in