Front brake flexi hoses - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Front brake flexi hoses

I am considering changing out the front brake flexi hoses on my bike, i have had a couple of occassions of the front brake binding, & i suspect a flexi hose has broken down internally creating a restricted return of fluid.
Can anyone in the UK recommend a replacement, braided would be good.
I have looked at the callipers & checked that the pistons are returning etc.
I acn always get the BM ones, but am not overly convinced of the quality, 2003 & 34000 miles, i feel this should not be happening!!, so would prefer an alternative, once replaced i will post my findings.
Regards
Stevie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:03 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Front brake flexi hoses

Stevie I'm not sure if these guys ship to UK but they are the supplier thet we use here in the states.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Stevie I'm not sure if these guys ship to UK but they are the supplier thet we use here in the states.
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm
+1 on the Spieglers. Not only the last lines you'll ever need, but will greatly improve the braking capabilities of the beast.

Not the only braided stainless steel ones out there; many have used others, with similar praise.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Just thought i would post an update.
After thinking a bit more about the flexi hoses, i realised that an internal breakdown of the flexi hose, would create a regular & not intermittent fault.
I removed both front callippers to get a really good look, all pistons seemed ok, i did notice some uneven pad wear, these were EBC replacements, plenty of wear left, i noticed 2 of them were firm in the callipper & had to be pulled out, closer investigation showed the wear surface bonded to the metal pad, to be slightly over at one end, i filed them back to the metal pad, when replaced they were a loose fit.
I have ridden the hell out of the brakes, repeatedly simulating the conditions when they got very hot & bound up, & have not been able to get them to bind, i feel that my binding problems were most likely caused by the binding brake pads, these were not returning & allowing heat to build up then binding against the disc..
Feel free to offer differing opinions??
Regards
Stevie
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 3:05 pm

Sounds as if you are on the right track.

When my front line sprang a leak, the braking was still fine, except that the pressure went gradually down.

One person reported removing his flex lines, bringing them to a brake place and having lines made at less than half of what it costs to order them on line.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in