Hydraulic center stand overhaul pics - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

Hydraulic center stand overhaul pics

Hi all,

today I took my hydraulic center stand actuator apart after five years of riding. The reason for this was that it sometimes would not work - especially when engine was warm. For whatever reason...

Anyway, it certainly was due time to service the unit. Both the electric motor and the whole hydraukic circuit. The hydraulic oil must have had a 50% water content.. .

Anyway, here is a story on this project.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...RSTANDOVERHAUL#

I did mine the hard way = removed the whole center stand / side stand assembly, which really is not necessary. The actuator itself with it's frame comes out as such, too.

Now the unit has even a totally different sound, like when the bike was new...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Hydraulic center stand overhaul pics

Great pics Ari. You went further than I did, as I did not get into the pump. Be careful when you re-fill as you must have a small air pocket or that formed 0.030" o-ring will blow out of the case halves. I did it twice.

I finally filled it correctly and have had no problems. I added oil and cycled it on the bench in a horizontal position (much like it is on the bike) until I had full travel of the piston. Then I added a small amount of oil at a time until I could finally hear the relief valve open at the end of travel. Then I re-installed it and no more blow out of the o-ring.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Great pics Ari. You went further than I did, as I did not get into the pump. Be careful when you re-fill as you must have a small air pocket or that formed 0.030" o-ring will blow out of the case halves. I did it twice.

I finally filled it correctly and have had no problems. I added oil and cycled it on the bench in a horizontal position (much like it is on the bike) until I had full travel of the piston. Then I added a small amount of oil at a time until I could finally hear the relief valve open at the end of travel. Then I re-installed it and no more blow out of the o-ring.
Hi John,
thanks for your comments! My filling method was pretty much trial and error.
I also cycled the pump on the bench but this relief valve opening is news to me.
Actually I did my overhaul in such way that I first took the motor apart, cleaned it and reinstalled it. I was already about to put it back in the bike but then I bit the bullet and decided to peek inside the hydraulics as well. When testing it (with old oil inside) the piston went all the way in and I did not see / hear any relief valve go off. The motor sound just changed as if it was pushing against the wall.
Now with the new oil inside it does the same...At what stage did you blow your formed O-ring? During bench testing or in the bike? I'm wondering what actually should happen when the piston has gone all the way in and you just keep on running the pump.
I filled my oil as you did. I added the oil from all possible openings. Run the motor in between and added more and so on. So the O-ring blowing is a result of overfill I guess...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #4 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:24 am

Excellent Ari ! Thanks a lot.

Just out of interest, how long did it take you ?.

Simon
post #5 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Excellent Ari ! Thanks a lot.

Just out of interest, how long did it take you ?.

Simon
As I removed the whole centerstand / sidestand assembly, which is not necessary it took me some 4-5 hours. But that includes all kinds of "researching" and documenting etc. Even removing the lower fairings is not 100 % necessary...

Now if I would do it over I would probably do it in 2 hours max.
It is also important to work in right order with the hydraulic unit dismantling:
1. Remove the electric motor and clean it but do not put it back yet
2. Drain the oil
3. Remove and overhaul the pump
4. Dismantle the cylinder
5. Dismantle and clean the main case

Assembly goes:
1. Put the main case togehter
2. Install the main cylinder
3. Install the hydraulic pump
4. Install the electric motor
5. Fill the oil.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #6 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:53 am

Thanks for the pics and the write-up Ari. My 05' with 115K on the clock is still working fine but does sound like it is getting a bit weak. Your pics will certainly make my job easier.

-Chuck-

'05 K1200LT
'92 FXSTC
'66 HD Sprint
IBA #375

"Eat, Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we Ride"
post #7 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Thanks Ari, note taken.

Was that with or without help from the dachshund ?.
post #8 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Thanks Ari, note taken.

Was that with or without help from the dachshund ?.
Luckily our "Ippu" is not too keen on working in the garage with me. Probably too many not-so-nice smells so if he occasionally comes in to say hello he goes back out right away...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #9 of 92 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ari,

The o-ring always blew out on the bike. I determined when the relief valve opened when the pitch changed at the end of the piston stroke on the bench. Before I had enough oil in the piston would stop but the pitch did not change. I stopped adding oil when the pitch changed at the end of piston travel.

I noticed a small leak after the first install and saw the o-ring "peeking" out of the case half. I just did an engine oil change following my 6,181 mile CCR trip and no leaks from the actuator.

Here is a pic of the place where the o-ring blew out and how I repaired it with RTV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0045.JPG
Views:	892
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	19642   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0046.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	19643  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 1:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Ari,

The o-ring always blew out on the bike. I determined when the relief valve opened when the pitch changed at the end of the piston stroke on the bench. Before I had enough oil in the piston would stop but the pitch did not change. I stopped adding oil when the pitch changed at the end of piston travel.

I noticed a small leak after the first install and saw the o-ring "peeking" out of the case half. I just did an engine oil change following my 6,181 mile CCR trip and no leaks from the actuator.

Here is a pic of the place where the o-ring blew out and how I repaired it with RTV.
John, thanks for the info. Just to make sure I have understood...So you say that the blowing of the O-ring was a result of too little oil in the system and not from overfilling? Actually when the system is installed in the bike there is the little (limit)switch in the centerstand that cuts the power from the actuator motor so the pump is not really "pushing against the wall" when installed.
Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #11 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:52 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Too much oil. Despite the limit switch the pressure builds up in the "reservoir" and blew out the o-ring. Joe even experienced it after several weeks of normal operation following his documented re-fill. It just builds up too much pressure in the reservoir if there is no air pocket. Maybe you got lucky by measuring the oil for your re-fill.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:12 am

That was one of the most comprehensive, well laid out posts I have seen on any forum. You have the patience of a saint! Great job!
post #13 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Too much oil. Despite the limit switch the pressure builds up in the "reservoir" and blew out the o-ring. Joe even experienced it after several weeks of normal operation following his documented re-fill. It just builds up too much pressure in the reservoir if there is no air pocket. Maybe you got lucky by measuring the oil for your re-fill.
OK, John all clear now, thanks. I think I will add a word of warning to my work procedures. So let's not overfill! Looks like I was lucky with my filling, so far at least...

Sorry my ignorance but who is Joe you are referring to and where can his documented re-fill be found. I hate to leave unclear instructions to my pic site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
That was one of the most comprehensive, well laid out posts I have seen on any forum. You have the patience of a saint! Great job!
Thanks Tony for your kind words... My patience is often pretty far from any saint's but I figured why not take some pics while I was at it. This might encourage somebody else to attack the same project which really is not so complicated as you might expect.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #14 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:45 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is the link to Joe's article:

Link
He is the one that got me to flush it in the first place with his article.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Great post Ari - Thanks!!
post #16 of 92 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Very well done, Ari... don't start working on these things for the money.... I suspect you won't make any...because you will be so meticulous... but you'll have no problem getting additional clients!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #17 of 92 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Great post, Ari. Very detailed with great photos. Yet another reason why I wouldn't want an auto center stand. That repair is so far over my head and I sure wouldn't want to pay the dealer to do it!

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #18 of 92 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:34 pm

The dealer will not do it . He will only sell you a new unit!
post #19 of 92 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 6:05 am

Ari,
Great article and pictures. Is there any way to get a copy of the pictures? Can they be posted in the HOW?
Thanks,

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #20 of 92 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Re: Hydraulic center stand function update

Hi all, and thanks to everyone for the nice comments. And special thanks to John who directed me to the instructions done by Joe Gottberg. He had a much more professional way of doing the oil filling. And as usual I found those instructions AFTER doing my own by trial and error.. Anyway, I added the link to Joe's instructions to my picture text.

So, to my disappointment my center stand malfunction is not totally over . It still does the same thing as before the overhaul: Right after riding when I push the centerstand button, the yellow light in the dash blinks fast and that is all what happens. The centerstand will not go down.
Usually when I let the bike sit on the side stand for 2 - 3 minutes and try again the center stand works...
Does anyone happen to have the electric diagaram of the centerstand?

And I clarify the problem: I know that if I I press the brake or if the bike moves or if it is on gear there will a exclamation mark blinking on the dash (next to the gear indicator) telling me why the center stand will not deploy. (I have had that happen as well and then I have had the brake lever slightly pulled - enough for the micro switch to activate..)

But in my regular problem case there is no exclamation mark blinking, just the yellow centerstand light blinking fast...

Still confused but on a higher level...Any thoughts or similar experiences from anyone?

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #21 of 92 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 8:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ari,

The diagrams are no help. I think the controller has a current sense circuit that triggers on heat of the internal conductor. As you saw there is no sensor on the motor or pump unit. This was designed to disable the pump is you actuated it too many time in succession with out time for the motor to cool down.
I have not disassembled one to verify it yet. If that is the case that would explain why so many people have this trouble as engine heat is affecting it. Any one that has replaced an EHCS controller and has a bad one lying around, we would like to tear it apart.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #22 of 92 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Hi Ari,

I read your post about your centerstand. All I can say is WOW. You've done an awesome job. Terrible thing it is still giving trouble. I hate to say I'm getting real good at pulling mine on and off. The method I use is to drop the entire frame (skid plate actuator and all), then bench disassemble. You can overfill it and blow out the gasket (formed O-Ring) seal as Johna nd I can guarentee.

I understand there is a current sensor as John mentioned. I haven't seen it or worked with it. It has to be "upstream" of the connector. Feels like a lot of tupperware needs to come off to see it.

Looking at your motor, it is hard to imagine the sensor is really tripping. Your motor "brushes" are only slightly worn. I recently rebuilt one of the DC motors with only a paper thin brush. Had to use a modified spade connector. Worked for a short while and I got it back. I'll be digging into it this weekend.

I still am having trouble with your symptoms. If you are riding, I get the radiant heat thing from the engine causing problems with instrumentation, but, I can't imaging the unit cooling in a couple of minutes.

I have my center stand off right now. With everything "Normal" (no brakes, out of gear etc), when I push the button, the light (indicating the centerstand is deploying) blinks SLOWLY. When I put the brake on (or side stand down) it blinks FASTer.

Are you 100% sure there isn't some side stand microswitch malfunction?

Perhaps next time, just put the side stand down, then back up to see if this works?

Keep us informed of your symptoms.

I'll let you know if I find something as I put mine back together and can look at it more.

Good Luck.

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #23 of 92 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:43 pm

Deputy5211 had similar problem.. turned out it was a problem with one of his LED brake lights...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #24 of 92 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:30 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have to re-think the current based sensor as there is a relay fed by the controller that handles the motor load. It may just be a heat fault in the controller. Too bad we don't have info on the guts of the controller (which is up under the rear seat on the right side).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #25 of 92 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg

I have my center stand off right now. With everything "Normal" (no brakes, out of gear etc), when I push the button, the light (indicating the centerstand is deploying) blinks SLOWLY. When I put the brake on (or side stand down) it blinks FASTer.

Are you 100% sure there isn't some side stand microswitch malfunction?

Perhaps next time, just put the side stand down, then back up to see if this works?

Joe
Hi Joe, and thanks for your comments!
As I have learned, if any of EHCS no-go flags are on (brake applied, bike on gear, side stand down, bike moving) the little exclamation mark starts flashing on the left side of the gear indicator. Now in my case this feature works if I touch the brake handle for instance: The yellow EHCS light blinks fast and the exclamation mark flashes too.

Now, obviously, there is no other indicator for the "overheating" than the yellow EHCS light flashing at fast pace. So I must have this on when ever the unit will not work.

So, I guess I have to locate this control unit first and try to see if anything can be done to it...Thanks John for giving a hint of the location.
In case it is a sealed package there is not much a Sunday electrician like myself can do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Deputy5211 had similar problem.. turned out it was a problem with one of his LED brake lights...
Channing, if I understand this correct, you are referring to Tony having installed some LED bulbs in place of the OEM bulbs. And this resulted to his EHCS not working... Sounds interesting. I have regular brake light bulbs but I have also some add-on LED brake lights, I have hooked up the center OEM bulb to work as brake light and rear fog light with a help of a diode. Plus I have a Dauntless hitch connector hooked up (without an isolator relay).
So I do have some "disturbing factors" in my brake light circuit if those really would affect the center stand function. However, all these I have had for quite some time already...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #26 of 92 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Ari,

Since my EHCS is disconnected (sitting on my work bench) my circuit is obviously "open".

I get the same symptome (fast blink of the lowering icon) when one of the interlocks is triggered. If I carry that observation forward, perhaps the relay John spoke about is defective on your bike? Could be a welded (or forced open) set of contacts? If you can open it up, you may just have to clean some "peaks and valleys" off the contacts?

Looking at your pictures, I cannot believe your motor is bad. I'll have to re-read your post, but, I assume you "hot wired" the EHCS while on the bench. Perhaps a hot-wire "rig" left connected to your EHCS while you ride, then switch it on while everything is "hot" will let you be 100% sure it is not your stand. I have a couple of spade connectors wired through a switch to a battery for testign works fine.

I'm betting the controller is bad. I've not heard of a "rash" of these failures, so perhaps a "wrecked" 05+ could be a source of a reasonably priced second hand one? I know there are many here (deputy5211 for one) who routinely have parted-out bikes. Perhaps a similar source exists closer to home?

Looks like you need to "tinker" a bit more. Fun Fun Fun

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #27 of 92 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Hydraulic center stand problems update 2

As many of you who followed this thread remember that I did my EHCS overhaul in hoping that it would cure the mysterious problem of the pump motor sometimes not starting right after riding. The problems continued, however, although the EHCS overhaul was not wasted work after 5 seasons of riding.

Next I looked at the EHCS control box:
http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...ANDCONTROLUNIT#

This looked pretty complicated for my skills so I touched nothing and put it back togehter. Dave (aka "Schweintechnik") gave me good advise how to look for cold solder joints but looks like I have found the reason for my problems elsewhere:

The problem seems to be the hand brake lever (or the microswitch in it). Every time the EHCS does not work after riding (or being "hot") I get it working by slightly pushing the hand brake lever outwards. So it looks like the hand brake microswitch or a retrun spring ir something is getting tired and the switch stays on even if I don't touch the brake.
During the winter I will take a closer look at the hand brake switch assembly and see if it only needs some lubrication.

So even if my EHCS is still not working in 50% of the time as supposed at least now I have a way to get it working in 100% of my trials.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #28 of 92 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 1:45 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Hydraulic center stand overhaul pics

Good trouble shooting Ari. Yet another winter project ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #29 of 92 Old Oct 26th, 2008, 8:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ari,

Thanks for posting pictures of the unit - now I don't have to dissassemble mine!!!

Glad you finally figured out the cause of your problem.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 92 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Hey all

Sorry to drag this 2-year old thread back to the top of the pile (although Ari's original post is perhaps worthy of another repost) but I'm starting to find my EHCS 'slips' a couple of times before the bike gets up onto the stand when cold, and so I'm thinking of overhauling it.

I was just wondering, where should I get the replacement oil from? BMW dealer, or is it some sort of standard hydraulic oil?

Many thanks

Nick
post #31 of 92 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Your regular Hydraulic oil is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelliott
Hey all

Sorry to drag this 2-year old thread back to the top of the pile (although Ari's original post is perhaps worthy of another repost) but I'm starting to find my EHCS 'slips' a couple of times before the bike gets up onto the stand when cold, and so I'm thinking of overhauling it.

I was just wondering, where should I get the replacement oil from? BMW dealer, or is it some sort of standard hydraulic oil?

Many thanks

Nick

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #32 of 92 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm
cws

Garage

I used Shell Tellus 42 hydraulic oil in mine, only "hydraulic oil" I could find locally.... but I'm having some issues when the temp is hotter, or I've been riding for a while on a warmer day, that the bike occassionaly won't go up... gets half-way then seems to "time-out" and stops trying. I think there must be a time-limit built into the system somehow.
I want to know if there's a slightly thicker/denser oil I could try to see if that helps...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #33 of 92 Old Nov 24th, 2010, 8:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I have had hydraulic jack oil in mine for the past two years with no problems. Just measure the oil carefully (125-150mL only) as you don't want to over fill or you risk cracking the case at worst and blowing an o ring at the least.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #34 of 92 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 11:17 am

Hi all, me again.

So I popped my bike up on its centre stand and started following Ari's excellent instructions. However, I can't get the nut off the end of the actuator rod (the softish metal of the rod just rounds off, and the rod rotates. Witness marks show where a previous owner/garage found the same thing.) Nor can I remove the muffler support bolt (which a previous owner/garage has kindly rounded off in their attempt to do the same).

So I guess the easiest thing now would be to remove the whole centre/side stand assembly and remove the stubborn bits on the bench.

Ari, if you're reading this - what's the name of the rear wheel chock you own? The only ones I can find online seem a lot less substantial than yours. Can anyone else identify it, or recommend a good one? I'm in the UK, and am hoping not to have to ship something across the Atlantic!

Many thanks

Nick

----

(edit)
OK, as soon as I'd posted the question, I found what I was looking for! Found the Bike-Grab here:

http://www.on-bike.com/products_bikegrab.htm

Thanks anyway

Nick

Last edited by nickelliott; Dec 28th, 2010 at 11:42 am. Reason: Managed to answer my own question!
post #35 of 92 Old Dec 28th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Nick,

They is most likely blue loctite on that muffler hanger bolt so a little heat may help soften it. The nut on the rod is a nylon lock nut. I am surprized it is on so tight. There are flats on the shaft but I guess those have rounded off. You should be able to pull on the shaft end whilst on the stand to get a purchase with a locking plier on the shaft. That area never sees the seal in the cylinder so a bit of roughness here could be flied down later. Good luck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #36 of 92 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi all,

today I took my hydraulic center stand actuator apart after five years of riding. The reason for this was that it sometimes would not work - especially when engine was warm. For whatever reason...

Anyway, it certainly was due time to service the unit. Both the electric motor and the whole hydraukic circuit. The hydraulic oil must have had a 50% water content.. .

Anyway, here is a story on this project.

Car parts http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...RSTANDOVERHAUL#

I did mine the hard way = removed the whole center stand / side stand assembly, which really is not necessary. The actuator itself with it's frame comes out as such, too.

Now the unit has even a totally different sound, like when the bike was new...

Regards
Nice, love your detailed shots by the way!
post #37 of 92 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 4:17 pm
cws

Garage

Hopefully you don't need to take the entire sidestand assembly off, but if you can get the nut off the actuator rod, its only 5 bolts to take out the EHCS asembly, and that's while its up on the centrestand with all tupperware in place. After several times doing it, I videoed last time I whipped mine off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey7siMk-XSs

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #38 of 92 Old Dec 29th, 2010, 8:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Great Job on the video Chris!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #39 of 92 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 5:35 am

My pump finally went a couple of weeks ago. It had been showing signs of failure for a while, the main one being that it would sometimes lift the bike so far and no further but would then lift it all the way on the second attempt. Sometimes it would put the bike on the stand at the first attempt but the lift would be uneven and the motor noise would change note as the load fluctuated. When it finally failed, I had tried to put the bike on its stand three times and then I got the rapidly-flashing indicator and no noise from the motor. It will be interesting to see how much oil I get from the unit. The motor always ran so I'm guessing that the problem lies with loss of fluid and I'll need to source some seals in all probability.

I don't have the space or facilities to work on the bike so a swap by my dealer was the order of the day and the unit alone cost 625 pounds, including tax, and another 100 in labour. I asked for the old unit and I shall do the rebuild on that and put it on the shelf for the next time. At least I can do it at my own pace and don't need to work to a deadline, which is a slight comfort.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #40 of 92 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 9:57 am

Keith,

When you get around to doing it, maybe some pics wouldn´t go amiss as well as details where you purchased the spares from etc.

Ari´s are really great but two sets will be even better !
post #41 of 92 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:17 am

I'll certainly bear that in mind, Simon.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #42 of 92 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Center Stand Still will not work. Any ideas on what to try next??? Here is what I did so far. I took the whole actuator off so I could bench test it. It wouldn't do anything when I bench tested it so I pulled the motor off, and the motor would run but not very fast. I took the motor off and the one brush just fell apart and the other one was just about complete wore out. So I figured this is definitely the problem. So I ordered a HS-50N motor. The motor came in today and I was happy to see it was exactly the same. I put the motor on and it definitely spins much faster and with more power. But the actuator still will not move. I really didn't want to get into the hydraulic unit, but I had to look into something. I didn't want to add oil and damage the unit. So I drained all of the oil from all of the holes and measured it. There was almost exactly 125 ML in it. I refilled it with exactly 125 ML and still cannot get the hydraulics to move under power at all. The motor runs but nothing happens. Does anybody have anything else I could try?
post #43 of 92 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 7:38 pm
cws

Garage

Hi John.
With the motor off, did you try turning the cog that the motor drives to see if it turns freely? If its not that will be part of the problem as it needs to be reasonably free (ie, not tight)
It may also be that you need to keep adding a few more mls of oil until you get a response from the unit... There seems to be a fine line between not enough oil and enough to get it actually working, and then again enough to give it enough ooomph to get the bike up.
edit: from Jon Z's post above: (125-150mL only)
John Z will likely chime in with any other ideas!
best of luck... it can be done
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Jun 13th, 2012 at 7:48 pm.
post #44 of 92 Old Jun 13th, 2012, 8:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK drain all the oil again and close up all those pesky little fill holes. Get out a 19 mm wrench and attack that big bolt near the mount. It is a spigot with two o-rings on it and it is the best hole to fill the unit from (drains are good there as well). I do 50 ml at a time with a syringe. Hold the unit "rod down" at a slight angle and gradually squeeze in the 50 ml. It will go on gravity alone. You may have to adjust the angle but it should take the full 50ml.

Now place your thumb over the hole and cycle the rod in and out a couple of times. I used to use my belly on the mount and press the rod against the work bench. Slowly release your thumb and get ready for the next 50 ml. As you squirt it in slowly push the rod in slowly - it will create a suction in that hole. Slow is good. Place thumb and cycle again. Then once you have the 100 ml in add the last 35 ml. If you do that with out spilling any thing. Replace the spigot and snug it up (the o-ring do the sealing so don't put a large amount of torque).

Now bench run it and listen for it to go full cycle and hit the releif valve. Reinstall and enjoy!

135ml was the magic number on the last three I reworked. 125 will not get it.

Note I suggested you drain it again to get all the dirty oil out but if you want just add 10ml through the spigot you should be OK. Just be absolutley sure you only added 125ml before.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #45 of 92 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 7:22 am

Ok, I will drain and refill. I am just surprised that a bike with only 10,000 miles on it, has a wore out center stand motor and now hydraulic trouble. It is a 2006 K1200LT. I just bought it from the original owner with the center stand not working.He told me it was a bad wire. Is there a possibility that the new electric motor is turning the wrong direction? Does anybody know what direction it is suppose to turn? I hate to tear into this hydraulic unit too much without any new seals. I am going to mess with this again tonight so if anybody has any other ideas, I would like to hear them. Thanks.
post #46 of 92 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 7:36 am
cws

Garage

Don't sweat it too much John. It took me about 6 months without the EHCS working to get up the guts to tear into it... took a while more before finding (with the help of the forum crew) the correct replacement motor, some of the seals (well, only ever got one of them I think), and then eventually get it back together and finally working again after multiple tries. I've put it apart a few times now... less daunting each time.... and I'm not a mechanic.
The good thing is you don't NEED the EHCS to enjoy the bike, its just a little luxury that's really nice to have.

The new motor shouldn't turn in wrong direction if you've wired the same as the OEM, on one of the threads is lots of pics of the motor etc.

Umm... just remembered, make sure the 2 motor screws are put in correctly, one is long and one is short.... don't put the long one in the side that would jam it into the gear sprocket its supposed to turn, otherwise you might damage the sprocket!! Someone else did that in the past (not me) (well, its not really funny.....)

Edit.. just found that post

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:00 am.
post #47 of 92 Old Jun 14th, 2012, 1:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhetzel
Ok, I will drain and refill. I am just surprised that a bike with only 10,000 miles on it, has a wore out center stand motor and now hydraulic trouble. It is a 2006 K1200LT. I just bought it from the original owner with the center stand not working.He told me it was a bad wire. Is there a possibility that the new electric motor is turning the wrong direction? Does anybody know what direction it is suppose to turn? I hate to tear into this hydraulic unit too much without any new seals. I am going to mess with this again tonight so if anybody has any other ideas, I would like to hear them. Thanks.
Yeah but the cylinder is more than 6 years old and unused seals tend to leak. Like I said 10ml leak will put it out of business until it is replaced.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #48 of 92 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 11:32 am

I added about 10 ml more oil and it starting working. I just wanted to thank everybody that posted on this forum, there is some great information here.
post #49 of 92 Old Jun 17th, 2012, 7:22 pm
cws

Garage

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #50 of 92 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhetzel
I added about 10 ml more oil and it starting working. I just wanted to thank everybody that posted on this forum, there is some great information here.
Not only is the information great, but the folks here and the spirit of community is evene greater. It takes a village to own an LT...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in