Brake System Flush with ABS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Brake System Flush with ABS

What should I expect a dealer to charge me for this? Put another way -- what's a "fair price" to pay to have this done?
Thanks,
Keir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Re: Brake System Flush with ABS

Budds in Oakville charged me ~ $240.00 and threw in a free clutch fluid change as a courtesy.

Integral ABS is beyond my average ability so I don't mind paying for a good job done right.

How does that compare to what you were quoted ?
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 9:39 am Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Haven't rec'd my quote yet Frank.
Just looking for a range to determine if it's reasonable. Like you, I'd prefer not to make it DIY project given the complexity of the integrated ABS stuff ....... although, I expect there are step-by-step instructions (with photos) somewhere on this site.
Keir

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:36 am

Last year on my '06 LT, I had the dealer do both the wheel and ABS control circuits and bleed test. Cost was $162 (1.8 hrs) for labour and $9.50 for fluid.
They also did the clutch for $36.00.
The Maintenance Schedule specifies every 2 years for ABS control circuits - but I understand that BMW has issued a bulletin stating that every 3 years is now OK for control circuits.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 11:38 am Thread Starter
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing
Last year on my '06 LT, I had the dealer do both the wheel and ABS control circuits and bleed test. Cost was $162 (1.8 hrs) for labour and $9.50 for fluid.
They also did the clutch for $36.00.
The Maintenance Schedule specifies every 2 years for ABS control circuits - but I understand that BMW has issued a bulletin stating that every 3 years is now OK for control circuits.
Thanks Jim.
Keir
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Gateway BMW in St Louis charged me $145 for a brake flush on my '01, which has the same ABS II system that '00 has.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Probably close to $250 for the integrated power brake system on your 2002. The earlier models without the integrated power brakes take a lot less time and require no special tools. Having ABS is not really a big deal when bleeding either type. The integrated, power brakes changes the whole ballgame.

I recently did my 2002 myself but one still must have a system bleed test and fault code reset at the dealer. They will charge a half hour to an hour depending on where you go. This was in conjunction with replacing all the brake lines with steel. You may want to consider having that done as well since the rubber hoses on your 2002 have a service life of about five years.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:47 pm

I had the greatest honor to perform the brake fluid replaced and the clutch system as well on my 05 LT at a tech session at CCR with help from John and Terry.
It is not extremely complicated if you have someone to keep you on track, but some "customized" tools are required because of the hard to reach bleed valves for the brakes system.
It still took a good 3 hours as I was learning from others, but in the end I was very proud of the accomplishment.
There is no need to take the bike to the dealer afterward if you are careful to never run out of fluid and let air into the system.
Terry had the "funny funnels" (maybe you can post a picture and part list Terry) and John made a wrench to work the bled screws (can you post a pic John?).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:56 am

Do this yourself. It is not difficult in the least. The BMW manual shows you how to do this. It is easier with a second set of hands, so find another BMW rider to help you.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Which BMW manual shows how to do this?

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I had the greatest honor to perform the brake fluid replaced and the clutch system as well on my 05 LT at a tech session at CCR with help from John and Terry.
It is not extremely complicated if you have someone to keep you on track, but some "customized" tools are required because of the hard to reach bleed valves for the brakes system.
It still took a good 3 hours as I was learning from others, but in the end I was very proud of the accomplishment.
There is no need to take the bike to the dealer afterward if you are careful to never run out of fluid and let air into the system.
Terry had the "funny funnels" (maybe you can post a picture and part list Terry) and John made a wrench to work the bled screws (can you post a pic John?).
Thanks for the kind words Gilles, actually you can just about do it with a regular 7mm wrench. The BMW tool is just that with the end bent 90 degrees. I gave Marc some additional info when I answered his other post. Of couse Marc feel free to PM me with any questions and provide me a phone number and I can walk (talk) you through it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Atlantic Motorplex in Moncton did a complete flush for me a couple of years ago. I was charged for 3.5 hrs labor. I wud guess you will pay abouot $250.00 for your bike.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in