Question for oil change DIYers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Question for oil change DIYers

First: THIS IS NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD. I've read those and they are very entertaining.

All you out there that change your own oil and don't buy "oil change kits" (ie you buy after market oils and filters): What do you do for the oil compartment O-ring and the drain plug crush washer? Do you reuse existing? If so, how many times? Or, do you buy just these parts somewhere else?

I am preparing for a 6k and want to stock up on the oil change parts and I looking for the best DIY advise here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Re: Question for oil change DIYers

Use 'em again and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
First: THIS IS NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD. I've read those and they are very entertaining.

All you out there that change your own oil and don't buy "oil change kits" (ie you buy after market oils and filters): What do you do for the oil compartment O-ring and the drain plug crush washer? Do you reuse existing? If so, how many times? Or, do you buy just these parts somewhere else?

I am preparing for a 6k and want to stock up on the oil change parts and I looking for the best DIY advise here.
post #3 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:05 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

I haven't had any problem re-using a few times but check this out .... not really any need to re-use.
http://beemerboneyard.com/11421460845ckk.html
These guys are excellent to deal with BTW.
Best wishes,
Keir

post #4 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have bought mine from the dealer. I change the chrush washer each time. The o ring I get 5 or 6 times( I take it out and clean a re lube it each time).
Kragen has Bosh on sale once in a while. They well order one for you. Jim
post #5 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:23 pm

A related question - since BMW oil just went up to $9/qt. any recommendations on alternative oil to use. Thanks.
post #6 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:29 pm

BMW part #11 00 2 300 053 gets you an oil change kit. Included is a filter, the o-ring and a couple of crush washers, only 1 of which you will use.

Now here is my thoughs on using a factory filter. First of all, my LT is the only vehicle/engine I have that gets a factory filter, all else gets a NAPA or a WIX. The closest dealer is Charlotte. They are great folks and its nice to ride out there late on a nice Staurday morning, buy a filter kit, rub elbows with some fellow BMW riders, see whats new, socialize a little, tell Mark (the owner) the latest joke and have a hot dog and a drink and go for a ride. Have no idea what the price of the filter is, doesn't really matter.

Oil, I usually stock up by buying a carton of some good synthetic, Mobile 1 or Royal Purple and change it every 3k or so.

I'm one of those folks that change the oil by draing through the drain plug instead of leaving it in and dropping the filter cover.

That reminds me, about time to change oil in the transmission and the FD one of these days soon, another excuse to take a ride and get a quart, think 1 will fill both but will look in the manual and see.

B D R
post #7 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:56 pm

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=Oil+engine

At the top of the thread page are headings, one of which is Search. Click on it and type in Engine Oil

You'll find more threads than you'll ever want to read.

Bob, 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 30 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelbert
A related question - since BMW oil just went up to $9/qt. any recommendations on alternative oil to use. Thanks.
What. Are we just going to ignore this first time poster when we could have some laughs?
post #9 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 2:44 am

Which alternatives to oil are you considering?

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #10 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 3:44 am

where the hell is the nut to drain gearbox oil
and place to fill it again
this is still a mystery to me
post #11 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 8:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlakesbikers
where the hell is the nut to drain gearbox oil
and place to fill it again
this is still a mystery to me
Halfway through this thread you will find the answer to the tranny mystery!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:20 am

Garage

I bought my filters at Rock Auto for something like $3.50 each and my O-rings and crush washers from BeemerBoneyard.

For the cost of one kit from BMW, I got almost three similar kits.

While I agree that we should be supporting our dealers and pay slightly more for silly things like oil change kits to help them stay in business, since the dealer network by me doesn't exist, I have to be a little more creative.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #13 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:26 pm

OK. So, if a painted FRAM filter with a sticker you have to remove costs you $3.50... I assume you pay postage... let's say a buck. That's $4.50. Then you have to buy washerrs elsewhere. I don't know what they cost so I'll say $2.00 + postage of a buck. You've just spent $7.50 becausae you don't want to spend $8- $9 on a BMW oil filter kit.

Well, you saved $0.50 to $4.00, depending on whether you mail ordered stuff. Well, that makes perfect sense to me, cause now you can buy a bottle of water ($1.00 liter= $4.00 a gallon) next time you're riding and complain about gas being $3.85...

Just sayin...
post #14 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
OK. So, if a painted FRAM filter with a sticker you have to remove costs you $3.50... I assume you pay postage... let's say a buck. That's $4.50. Then you have to buy washerrs elsewhere. I don't know what they cost so I'll say $2.00 + postage of a buck. You've just spent $7.50 becausae you don't want to spend $8- $9 on a BMW oil filter kit.

Well, you saved $0.50 to $4.00, depending on whether you mail ordered stuff. Well, that makes perfect sense to me, cause now you can buy a bottle of water ($1.00 liter= $4.00 a gallon) next time you're riding and complain about gas being $3.85...

Just sayin...
Last time I bought a filter kit at the dealer I think it was closer to $15. You don't need to take out the drain plug either, if you read the other threads. So, only cost I have is the filter.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #15 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Garage

7.50 vs. 15 plus shipping making it closer to 18-20 bucks per change.

Yup....saved over 10 bucks = more money for gas and farkles.

You're basically throwing $17 away everytime you change the oil.

Throw away 17 bucks or 7.50....Hmmmmmm........

Just sayin'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	19646  

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #16 of 30 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider

Just sayin...
I'd be more concerned with a flake of paint coming off the painted filter and clogging an oil passage than I would be about the cost of the filter. That cost would far overwhelm any savings incurred on the filters...

Putting a spin-on filter inside the sump is an idea that is beyond stupid. Every other engine maker I know uses cartridge filters for inside the sump applications and spin-ons for external use. I can't begin to imagine what BMW was thinking when they did this design.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #17 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 9:18 am

There is an alternative if you don't want to be dealing with the crush washer on the drain bolt. Don't use it. This usually gets mentioned at some point in these threads, but instead of draining the oil from the drain bolt, drain it out of the oil filter housing. There are three bolts there. Take out two (the O-ring should keep it sealed with the third bolt, or you can keep it sealed with a hand). Then loosen the third bolt and the oil will start draining out. Voila, never touch the drain bolt again.

As was mentioned before, you can re-use the O-ring several times. Remember to always check it, and to keep an extra on hand.

Cheers.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!
post #18 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 9:32 am

Adam,

I did that my first oil change. Try reaching up through the filter hole when the engine is nice and cool. There is a bit of oil remaining that would have drained through the drain plug. It may not be much but over time that's where the sludge and crap will be hiding. It's not hard to pull the drain plug; washers and O-rings can be reused several times (according to my mechanic).

Just my 02 cents worth.

Bruce
post #19 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:56 am

I use them over & over. So far no problems. I have spares on hand just in case.

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #20 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Which alternatives to oil are you considering?
Since my '05 (new to me earlier this summer) only has 6k miles, I'm not ready to consider "alternatives to oil". After this change and likely another, I'll be considering either Red Line or Mobil 1 I suppose...but this thread aint about that
post #21 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Forget replacing the o-rings. Keep the oring on, but buy a tube of gasket maker. $5 at any auto-store, and the tube will last you for a dozen oil changes. It works as good as a gasket. And you can use it on the filter case and the drain plug.

http://www.autozone.com/R,633143/sto...ductDetail.htm
post #22 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 12:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth
Adam,

I did that my first oil change. Try reaching up through the filter hole when the engine is nice and cool. There is a bit of oil remaining that would have drained through the drain plug. It may not be much but over time that's where the sludge and crap will be hiding. It's not hard to pull the drain plug; washers and O-rings can be reused several times (according to my mechanic).

Just my 02 cents worth.

Bruce
I just wipe it out with paper towels. that gets more of the crud out than just using the drain plug (which I don't).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #23 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Speaking of DIYers,
I recently purchased a 7 yearold LT. The original owner did not know what grade or type of oil was used because the Dealer did everything. Trust me, I looked at some of those service receipts and gasp with getting oxygen back in my lungs. I called the dealer and asked if they could tell me what grade, weight of oil was used. They knew the bike immediately. 20w-50 said the service manager,, and OHH, be VERY CERTAIN you use motorcycle oil. I thought for minute then wanted to ask if they could put winter air in my tires before storage this November... Only reason I didnt is because they are the only game in town for BMW service... Minneapolis, MN.

Went with Gastrol syn-blend, 20w-50 $13; Filter $6. Hey, I'm not mechanical but stupidity is no excuse for not taking responsibility.

post #24 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

I buy aftermarket oil and filters and do the stuff that I can myself. I followed the excellent procedure I found on this site and had no problems. That article recommended draining from the filter and reusing o-rings and crush washers which I also did. No problems so far.

Each time I read a thread about "supporting your local dealer..." by buying your parts there, such as oil, filters etc., i can't help but think they would appreciate your support even more if you would have them do your service work too. Or is that too much "support"? Know what I'm sayin'?

I am lucky to be about 2mi from a bmw dealer I like, and about 3 mi from a couple of different aftermarket shops which I also like. Since they specialize in parts, not bike sales, I like to support them too.

Bigger jobs I take to the dealer and have been happy with their work.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #25 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 1:41 pm Thread Starter

Any testimonies regarding this Quick Change product: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?item=QC
post #26 of 30 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
Any testimonies regarding this Quick Change product: http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products...ct.asp?item=QC
I have this or similar on my p/u. Now that you pointed it out, it will be on both of my bikes. And the LT if I get one. Unless there is someone out there that can give me a reason not to.

2009 R1200RT
2006 K1200LT Gone
2009 Wee Strom Gone
2002 Concours Gone
2004 KLR650 Gone
1984 and 1988 Goldwings Gone
post #27 of 30 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I just wipe it out with paper towels. that gets more of the crud out than just using the drain plug (which I don't).
Whatever works for you. My (Bimmer mechanic) says some of the new cars don't have drain plugs at all for rear diffs, etc.
I inherited an old suction pump(looks like large tire pump) from my Dad; may have to get it out of storage.

Ride safe.

Bruce
post #28 of 30 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Unhappy Re: Question for oil change DIYers

Apparently my dealer wasn't so kind. I paid $22.49 for the filter, $3.29 for the O ring, $.75 for the gasket and $11.47/quart ($45.88 for 4 quarts) of 07-51-0-412-040 oil. Yup - $72.41 to change my own oil. Having read many threads about oil changes since, it will be quite a bit less expensive next time.
post #29 of 30 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 8:13 pm

I reuse the aluminum crankcase drain washer - but put a thin layer of Permatex (#2 or 3 as I recall) on it before reinstalling it.
post #30 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2008, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A friend of mine told me , he was told at the BMW factory motorcycle school . The crush washers were used to keep people from ripping the threads out of the oil pan , transmission , & especially the final drive . . You put on a new crush washer , then tighten the drain plug something like 1/3 turn after it makes contact . The plug will then be torqued to the range that it is to be set at . You can not do that with a used crush washer .... You can use a used crush washer , but you need to use a torque wrench .

He told me this back in the early '80's , so it is a little fuzzy in my memory .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in