Blue smoke? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Blue smoke?

I keep my 01 LT in the garage, it is heated. Purchased it about 2 months ago. Live in Minnesota, weather is always changing, humidity, cool, hot, damp, etc.

Notice when the bike sits outdoors for awhile (few hours or more), and I go to start it, possibly rev it, blue smoke will discharge from the pipe. Its a significant discharge. Disappears after transmission engages.

Now if the bike sits indoors (and it usually does) no smoke after start. Nothing, not even after a rev. Is this normal for BMW LT?

Any similar stories or thoughts?, bike has 70,000 miles. Checks out, fluids all good, serviced regular. Runs and idles perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Re: Blue smoke?

I might add it seems to happen in the evening when the temps are cooling and it feels damp out, or if it sits outside the hotel on a trip, early morning start, cool temps, damp, fog. Again, no apparent discharge after sitting in a warm dry garage all night. I should probably avoid any engine revs after start, or have someone do a compression check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleford
I might add it seems to happen in the evening when the temps are cooling and it feels damp out, or if it sits outside the hotel on a trip, early morning start, cool temps, damp, fog. Again, no apparent discharge after sitting in a warm dry garage all night. I should probably avoid any engine revs after start, or have someone do a compression check.
Are you using the centerstand inside and the sidestand when parking outside?

If left on the sidestand, oil leaks past the rings and the bike will emit blue smoke for a few seconds when started. if you use the centerstand all of the time, this will not happen.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

That explains it, the bike sits on the center stand via garage at home.
Makes perfect sense, thank you.

post #5 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That explains it, the bike sits on the center stand via garage at home.
Makes perfect sense, thank you.
The smoke isn't harmful and only a minute amount of oil is consumed, but it is annoying. I generally use the centerstand, but if I plan to use the sidestand, I've found that shutting off the engine and holding the bike upright or leaned slightly to the right for 30 seconds or so helps minimize the amount of oil that can get in the cylinders and then leak past the rings when the bike is leaned to the left.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 1:57 pm

It's best to park around a bunch of other bikers and leave it on the side stand for a while. Make sure you announce that you gotta go so all eyes are on you before you start the bike. You WILL leave an impression on them as they will talk about you for weeks.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Wink Re: Blue smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
It's best to park around a bunch of other bikers and leave it on the side stand for a while. Make sure you announce that you gotta go so all eyes are on you before you start the bike. You WILL leave an impression on them as they will talk about you for weeks.
Then you can blame it on the Harleys. Loudly inform them it only does that whe someone parks a Harley too close to it.

B D R
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 7:45 pm Thread Starter

I put a girlfriend in a blue gray cloud last night after burgers.
She wondered if there was something wrong with the bike, I said she only does that to protest hauling extra weight.

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Quote:
I put a girlfriend in a blue gray cloud last night after burgers.
She wondered if there was something wrong with the bike, I said she only does that to protest hauling extra weight.

Maybe an ex girlfriend

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf
Maybe an ex girlfriend

Girlfriends come and go. Since when would I care about an ex?
Having wayyy to fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in