Lower seat installation instructions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Lower seat installation instructions

Hi
I am interested in puting a lower seat on my 2002 lt. part number 71607658484
I was wondering if I can do this myself and what is involved. Does anyone have some directions they could send me on how this install would be performed.
I would like to see whats involved before I go make the purchase., or if anyone has any ideas on how to buy this seat at a good price, let me know..

I have a 30 inch inseam, and told that this seat would be the ticket........
Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:48 am

Re: Lower seat installation instructions

Basically you unplug the seat heat wire at the plug at the frame rail at the left front by the tank. You may have to pull the tupperware to cut a wire tie forward of that position. Then you will need to either dremel or cut off the plastic lip that stands up on either side of the bike. If you ever go back to the standard seat, you will have some gap there.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:51 am

IIRC you will need to cut out a little bit of the top of the side panels to allow the seat to be used in its lowest position. I had to do it on my 99.
It is not a big deal and can easily be done with a dremel. I think I also had to bend a bracket out of the way so the seat would clear.
After you have your seat installed you may feel cramped a little though. In my case I installed the Suburban peg lowering kit but I lost ground clearance.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 9:16 am

There are several "How to do" sites that you should be able to find through a search with good pictures and instructions. I looked at doing it at one time and found the information very helpful. Changed my mind, but the information is available....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 7:56 pm

Thumbs up Re: Lower seat installation instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailheli
Hi
I am interested in puting a lower seat on my 2002 lt. part number 71607658484
I was wondering if I can do this myself and what is involved. Does anyone have some directions they could send me on how this install would be performed.
I would like to see whats involved before I go make the purchase., or if anyone has any ideas on how to buy this seat at a good price, let me know..

I have a 30 inch inseam, and told that this seat would be the ticket........
Any help would be appreciated.
Howdy,
I have a 31" inseam and got by w/o cutting any of the plastic away. I just remove the seat adjuster and a couple of rubber bumpers and got my OEM seat low enough for me to get my feet on the ground most of the time. I do have to watch the road surface when I stop though. A little dip will really through me. LOL
The LT is worth whatever you need to do, in my opinion. Just none other like it out there!
Seach this site and you'll find what you need to do. Good luck.
Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in