LT down in Ashland, Oregon - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlaskaFish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

LT down in Ashland, Oregon

I write this on behalf of my Dad who is in the hospital in Ashland after a bad spill on his LT. Not sure about too many details, only that some gravel on the highway caught him...he broke his wrist and ankle, but his gear did the rest.

He wanted to know if anyone had any ideas/suggestions about the salvaging of the bike. It took a hard hit and is in rough shape from the sounds of it. Any ideas?

Thanks all.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Re: LT down in Ashland, Oregon

Sorry to hear about the fall. Ashland is next door to Medford Oregon and they have a very nice small BMW dealer there.. I would have them check out the damage...

Hope that helps

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #3 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Sorry about your dad. Have no idea about salvaging a motorcycle, I would let insurance company do that sort of thing. But that is me.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 5:51 pm

I also am not sure about the Salvging...But my Prayers go out to your Father for a Speedy Recovery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #5 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Tony or one of the other guys who are in the salvage business probably can help you out...

I'll bet he'll chime in here in a minute...

Oh Deputy5211 where you ?

The insurance company will likely total it if it's damaged at all.
Then you can take the money and buy her back for maybe half of what you got for her.. Then you can part her out and sell her for twice as much as you would have lost...If you like takin stuff apart. Cleaning it up. Posting it. Dealing with the peeps ( I mean potential buyers ) and all their inane questions.
Shipping the stuff and probably having a few I never got it's. And you know they did but you still can't prove it and have to give them their money back anyway....Always use delivery confirmation.. It's less than a buck..

I'll be one of the ones with the inane questions by the way.

Good Luck.. And prayers for your dad.. Glad he's not hurt too badly..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the wellwishes, I will pass them on to him, I know he really enjoys the BMW community you folks have here...
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:13 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

The Medford dealer has a great reputation. I believe the spelling is correct Hansen BMW.

What is your dad's screen name?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:06 am

Wink Re: LT down in Ashland, Oregon

John, there are members closer but if you need someone as a POC I would be glad to offer whatever help we can. Hansen's is the Medford dealer:
http://www.hansensmc.com/

And there is also a good dealer in Eugene:
http://www.bmwor.com/
It is a little ways up the road, but a lot closer than Portland.

Hopefully one of these can help out. Like I said, we do have some members in Southern Oregon who would be much closer, but if they do not respond please drop a PM to me and I'll see what we can do from up here. Check your PM's!

Where does your father live? down here, or Canada? Hope he is OK.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesboy
I write this on behalf of my Dad who is in the hospital in Ashland after a bad spill on his LT. Not sure about too many details, only that some gravel on the highway caught him...he broke his wrist and ankle, but his gear did the rest.

He wanted to know if anyone had any ideas/suggestions about the salvaging of the bike. It took a hard hit and is in rough shape from the sounds of it. Any ideas?

Thanks all.....

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Again thanks all. Bluesboy is actually my Dad's username, he is from Camrose, AB, but he will be in the hospital in Ashland until Sat or Sun before flying home. I hijacked his username on his behalf to ask his questions. The bike sounds like a write-off (rear wheel is off, no plastic left untouched, driveshaft hanging), is there any salvage effort worthwhile on his part, or should he just let insurance have it and walk away? He already has all his personal stuff....

Thank you all very much!
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:12 am

Quote:
is there any salvage effort worthwhile on his part, or should he just let insurance have it and walk away? He already has all his personal stuff....!
A lot of what you're asking depends on your Dad's mechanical abilities
and schedule.
Two years ago I had the unfortunate experience
of totaling out a 2002 LT in Idaho,
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=buffalo+roams

I bought it back from State Farm for $1500
and spent another $500 getting it shipped back to Florida.

I'm a pretty good mechanic and retired so I had the time to dis-assemble and part out the LT, for me it was a fun and educational experience.

I sold most of my parts real cheap (half of what Beemer Bone Yard asks)
And I still came out several thousand dollars ahead.

I also usually sent stuff out before I got the checks
(as far away as Finland, Belgium and even Australia)
and never had an issue or a problem with anyone on this site.

If you or your Dad have any more questions I may be able to answer, don't hesitate, I like most everyone on this forum will do whatever we can to help.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:49 am

I'm in Eugene, oregon 3 hours North of Ashland
Unfortunately I have to leave in a few days for Chicago but will be back before the end of the month.
If Hanson in medford, or whoever, will store the bike and your Dad wants to salvage for parts , I can rent a trailer, pick it up and put in my garage.
I have sold many items on EBAY and am willing to do this for my expenses and some part of the profit...
I'm retired with plenty of time........
I guess the big "IF" is, are there enough salvagable parts and does your Dad want to bother..........................
Tell him to cheer up and start reading O.N. to decide on the new bike........
AND....be thankful his injuries were not worse......

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:56 am

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he heals fast.

Regarding selling the bike off,
If it is an older bike and insurance doesnt pay that much on it.
I would consider doing what someone else mentioned, selling parts off.
Heck, ebay is easy.. And it doesnt seem to matter what the item is, someone is looking for it.. even half the cost of boneyardbeemer is a nice sum.
Those parts are marked up ridiculously high. A dealer wont give you much for it and will likely do the same, selling used parts off. All marked up. $100 bucks for piece of plastic trim, mirrors, gas cap, footpad, etc., anything that is reusable including engine parts will sell. A guy could make a living doing it.
Thats my 2 cents.

post #13 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Wink Re: LT down in Ashland, Oregon

Tony, I spoke to your Dad in the Hospital earlier this morning and he sounds like he is on the way to straightening things out. If no one speaks up sooner there is a good chance that Art (a fellow LT rider) & I will head down there tomorrow with a trailer and pick up whatever there is of the Bike. We should be able to store it here and work out something with your Dad on the selling of parts. The main goal would be to get it off the impound lot so he is not being charged for storage. Hell, maybe it will be a salvageable Bike depending on what all is broke!

Call or PM me with any thoughts or ideas you may have. I will give your Dad a ring here later today to see how things are going.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm

Tony/John
I also am free this weekend to pick up the bike.................
holler.!!

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Arrow Re: LT down in Ashland, Oregon

Hi all. I am back home and on the mend. My injuries are not serious and I will recover nicely. My beloved and loyal LT is gone. My worst injury is to my pride. How can an experienced and "safe" rider go down. I guess anyone can do it...........don't let it be you. ATGATT saved me a lot of extra injuries. I have no road rash.

I want to thank Alaska Fish and Starfighter for visiting me in the Hospital in Ashland, and for helping me with a plan for dealing with what was left of my bike.

I want to thank the forum members who called me by telephone to wish me well.

I want to thank the entire forum. I have seldom posted, but I have read and searched this site extensively. Everything that I needed to know is here. This forum has completed my ownership experience, and I am grateful.

Thanks to all who keep it going.
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Cool Re: LT down in Ashland, Oregon

John, it was good to hear that you made it home finally, and are on the mend. For anyone else out there who may not know, the poor Bike, or what remains of it, is now up in Cornelius Oregon going through the process of being dismantled by Art (ArtK50) and myself at his shop. Our intent is to sell off the parts which are salvageable in order to recover the costs of the towing and impound lot storage fees plus whatever profit there may be above that in order to justify the efforts. Art and I will probably be sharing some of these profits with John since it really was his Bike to start with. We just went down and got it out of the impound lot along with the help of Allan (Starfighter) and his wife. John has lost his whole Bike! But ATGATT did save his skin, so do wear it!

So if anyone out there is looking for any LT parts off a 2000 LT please drop myself or Art a PM and we will get back to you with availability and price. The price will be 50% of the new cost provided the part is in good shape. If not we may make you a H--- of a deal! (Can you say shipping cost?).

And if Tony or Beemerboneyard is reading this, please understand that we are not out to undercut either one of you guys, but rather, trying to finish the job of helping out one of our own from North of the border!

John
Quote:
Hi all. I am back home and on the mend. My injuries are not serious and I will recover nicely. My beloved and loyal LT is gone. My worst injury is to my pride. How can an experienced and "safe" rider go down. I guess anyone can do it...........don't let it be you. ATGATT saved me a lot of extra injuries. I have no road rash.

I want to thank Alaska Fish and Starfighter for visiting me in the Hospital in Ashland, and for helping me with a plan for dealing with what was left of my bike.

I want to thank the forum members who called me by telephone to wish me well.

I want to thank the entire forum. I have seldom posted, but I have read and searched this site extensively. Everything that I needed to know is here. This forum has completed my ownership experience, and I am grateful.

Thanks to all who keep it going.
kbob12 likes this.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in