New K1200LT Owner Thrilled - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

New K1200LT Owner Thrilled

Greetings. Earlier this year, I bought an X-5. I was so impressed I thought, "if car is this amazing, the bike must be...." Well, I picked up my 2009 K1200LT in Texas and rode back to Yakima, Washington. What a RIDE!!! Can't believe the performance and handling. I'm having to get used to the weight and height. But other than that, it's been awesome. I have a question though. It seems when I decelerate, there is a rattling coming from the front end. The dealer says it's just normal "gear noise" but it bothers me. Anyone else experience that?

By the way, my bro-in-law met me half way in his new Harley Geezer Classic and couldn't begin to keep up in the severe head winds of Wyoming I told him both of our bikes were expensive, but the difference is the BMW was actually WORTH it-haha!

Steve
Yakima/Anchorage
2009 K1200LT Remus exhaust system, ZTECKNIQUE windshield
2005 Suzuki Boulevard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Re: New K1200LT Owner Thrilled

Yep, standard noise. My '00 made it and my '01 makes it. Ride on and enjoy.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:08 am

Welcome to the mad house! My wife and I love the LT.
BTW, "LT" stands for "Light Truck".
Ride safe and ride often!
Enjoy.

Joe

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:56 am

Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure it will only get better from here on out.

I swapped bikes with my neighbor for an hour on a ride, he has an Ultra Classic. Wasn't my cup of tea. He liked the LT but thought it was too long legged for him. Tough break!

Enjoy it!

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #5 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:57 am

Welcome to the most useful board on the net. Watch out... The thrills only get "worse" once you start with the farkles!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 6:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejvhk1200lt
Greetings. .....I have a question though. It seems when I decelerate, there is a rattling coming from the front end. The dealer says it's just normal "gear noise" but it bothers me. Anyone else experience that?.......
Greeting to you.

Front end rattle? These bikes can have a bunch of rattles. Some need fixing, others, not.

Gear noise wouldn't sound like "front end" noise IMO unless you're really having trouble localizing it.

Not much up front to rattle, but the brake pads can. More likely with aftermarket pads than the OEM but it could be them. Try feathering your front brake during conditions when you would normally hear your rattle. If it disappears when you are dragging the brake a little then it is the pads, and no worries.

Glad you have discovered the attributes of this fine machine, have fun.
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 8:00 am

I thought the front was falling off... on my 05... turns out, there is a different sound in the front due to design... then you will HEAR more because it isn't covered up by other parts shaking and rattling and falling off.

Riding behind the fairing an the tupperware can cause noises under the cover to resonate...

Turn up the radio...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 9:19 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Congrats Steve on the new ride !!! They are great bikes
BTW where in Texas did you get your bike?

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Greetings. Earlier this year, I bought an X-5. I was so impressed I thought, "if car is this amazing, the bike must be...." Well, I picked up my 2009 K1200LT in Texas and rode back to Yakima, Washington. What a RIDE!!! Can't believe the performance and handling. I'm having to get used to the weight and height. But other than that, it's been awesome. I have a question though. It seems when I decelerate, there is a rattling coming from the front end. The dealer says it's just normal "gear noise" but it bothers me. Anyone else experience that?

By the way, my bro-in-law met me half way in his new Harley Geezer Classic and couldn't begin to keep up in the severe head winds of Wyoming I told him both of our bikes were expensive, but the difference is the BMW was actually WORTH it-haha!

Steve
Yakima/Anchorage
2005 Suzuki Boulevard
Congratulations Steve !!!!!!!

I also own an 09 and to tell you truth I have ZERO rattling, if I were you I'd take it to your local dealer if you have one and get a second opinion, I'm not buying that story you were given that it's normal. My neighbor also has an 09 and no rattling going on there either.

Enjoy your beautiful new ride, I totally love mine.
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:38 am

Congrats Steve!
Hope you enjoy your new ride. I recently bought an 06 with low miles and there can be a significant amount of buzzing from the plastic fairing parts, commonly called tupperware. Had my bike at the dealer for the 6k oil change, and other fluid change and he noticed some buzzing at idle and he suggested that I install some 2 sided foam tape between some of the lower panels to eliminate some of this vibration buzzing. You will have to find out where this noise is coming from and hopefully it is nothing serious.
The bike is a blast to drive and takes a bit of getting used to. Be careful on low speed manouvers around parking lots etc., as it can be somewhat tricky.
Don't grab that front brake either during slow speed manouvering or you may be joining the dropped it club. I have been lucky so far, but I am extra careful. Used to ride an older venture royalle which was pretty heavy too.
Take care.
Jim
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:56 am

Welcome to the land of the best motorcycle I've ever ridden. My LT is 10 years older, but my grin simply gets bigger the more I ride it. I came off ST1100's to the LT and am sure glad I did. I'm just down the road a bit in Walla Walla - a short LT ride. Maybe we'll be able to get together one of these days.
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:57 am

Steve,
Congrats on the new motorbike purchase. The LT is a wonderful ride.
Recently I purchased one use, 7 years old, 70,000 miles. Runs like a top.
There is no noise off my front end. But then again I wear a full face helmet and that thing will muffle outside noise. Drove mine back from Denver to Minneapolis through Rockies and Delvil Tower, Black Hills, Sturgis.. All in 2 days 1400 miles.. Got off took a shower, went to bed, back to work next day. Had not owned a bike in 35 years! Enjoy the LT.

post #13 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:53 am

Welcome
Glad you like it.
I have a 2000LT and it is the best bike I've owned.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for responding, Steve. I can't seem to get off this thing. Maybe when the snow flies-HA!
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Hey Kat. Got the bike in Nacogdoches, TX. Rode back up through CO, WY, ID, OR, to WA. Loved those flat, straight stretches in TX. This bike is pretty dang fast!
Steve

BTW, thought I was responding to the individuals, then realized I was making a public post. Oops! Newby error. First of many, I'm sure. Also, I became a proud member of the "dropped it" club within hours of picking it up! Tried to get it out of the rain under the hotel lobby entrance which happened to be slicker than "you know what". Live and learn. Thank God (or the BMW designers) for the nice design. Other than this post, there's no evidence . Quite a contrast from when I dropped the Suzuki. Guess I need to work out more.

Steve
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Hey Kat. Got the bike in Nacogdoches, TX. Rode back up through CO, WY, ID, OR, to WA. Loved those flat, straight stretches in TX. This bike is pretty dang fast!
Steve

BTW, thought I was responding to the individuals, then realized I was making a public post. Oops! Newby error. First of many, I'm sure. Also, I became a proud member of the "dropped it" club within hours of picking it up! Tried to get it out of the rain under the hotel lobby entrance which happened to be slicker than "you know what". Live and learn. Thank God (or the BMW designers) for the nice design. Other than this post, there's no evidence . Quite a contrast from when I dropped the Suzuki. Guess I need to work out more.

Steve
Welcome to the not so exclusive Drop club...good thing they dont charge to Join

To send a private message to a member just click on there name and a drop down will fall and from there click on send private message....
Enjoy the Ride!

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #17 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 5:06 pm

I bought my 09 in June this year and I had the same issue with the noise. Sounded like a jar of quarters when I accelerate in first and second past 6K. I took the bike to the shop and they said it may be the chain tensioner. The bike stayed in the shop for 1 week and they said they couldn't find a problem.

I think something must be loose down there, however the performance is great and I don't have any operational problems. If you get it checked out and find something, please let me know so I can have it checked on my bike as well.

Congrats on the new ride!!!!

CAPTAINE

LIVE AND LET RIDE!!!!

Current Bike:
2009 LT Black
Previous Bikes:
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic
1978 Yamaha 750
1975 Kawasaki 500
1971 Suzuki 125
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:23 pm

I have an 05 and I have some noise when driving. Think I may get a quieter helmet

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #19 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Great bike! You'll love it! Welcome to the Asylum!!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Greetings. I have a question though. It seems when I decelerate, there is a rattling coming from the front end. The dealer says it's just normal "gear noise" but it bothers me. Anyone else experience that?

Steve
Yakima/Anchorage
2005 Suzuki Boulevard

I had something similiar but the techs explained it as the floating brakes and showed me how they move around. heard it once in a while during my awesome 3 week ride this summer (which had me overnight in Yakima on day one, nice area) but never gave it another worry.

just crank up some good road tunes on that CD player and enjoy the ride!!

2007 K1200LT BLACK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in