cd changer question... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Question cd changer question...

changer stopped playing, and went to a "No Disks" message.

ejected the magazine, and new am getting a "CD-Check", and then the "No Disks" message.

loose connection maybe? or a toast unit?

$674.00 for replacement, and am I glad my extended warranty expressly covers the sound system on touring bike coverage...

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:51 am

Re: cd changer question...

Mark
If you have a problem w/ coverage or ....????
I took my CDchanger out and will sell it very reasonably

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #3 of 10 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Mark
If you have a problem w/ coverage or ....????
I took my CDchanger out and will sell it very reasonably

Thanks Allan,
I will certainly let you know if I have issues. I have the "diamond" coverage, it is the top level, above Platinum, so I get platinum, plus ABS, and extra coverage:

PLATINUM COVERAGE
Motorcycle/ATV/Scooter Component Coverage
ENGINE: All internally lubricated parts; valve covers; intake manifolds; oil pump; fan motor; valves; engine mounts; cylinder
head(s); engine block/crankcase and cylinder barrels if damaged as a result of the Failure of an internally lubricated covered engine
component.
WATER PUMP: Impeller shaft; bearings; bushings and housing.
TURBOCHARGER: Internal parts; vanes; shafts; bearings, bushings, waste gate and housing if damage is caused by a Failure of
any of the above covered components.
TRANSMISSION: All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission case; gears; bearings; internal drive gears;
internal selector mechanism and transmission mounts. Transmission case if damaged as a result of the Failure of an internally
lubricated transmission component. (Clutch assembly and cable are not covered).
PRIMARY DRIVE: All internally lubricated parts (except clutch and hub assemblies) contained within the primary drive case; all
gears; bearings; internal drive gears and chains; internal selector mechanism. Primary drive case if damaged as a result of the
Failure of a covered primary drive component.
DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY (Shaft driven motorcycles and ATVs): Differential housing; transaxle housing; final drive housing; all
internally lubricated parts of the foregoing; axle shafts; constant velocity joints; universal joints; drive shafts; locking hubs; hub
bearings; locking rings; supports; retainers and bearings.
FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION: All internally lubricated parts contained within the front fork tubes and front hub; swing arm
bearings or bushings; front and rear wheel bearings; frame; swing arm; upper and lower control arms; ball joints; king pins; bushings
and spindle. Front fork tubes and front hub if damaged as a result of the Failure of a covered suspension component.
STEERING: Upper and lower steering stem bearings and bushing axle; steering stem; handle bar; steering stem nut, rod ends.
Steering stem shaft if damaged as a result of the Failure of a covered steering component.
BRAKE: Brake backing plates; brake hubs; disc rotors; calipers; master cylinder assembly; hydraulic lines and fittings; drum brake
actuating cam; secured hardware.
ELECTRICAL: Alternator; starter assembly; manually operated switches; cooling fan motor; wiring harness; ignition coil(s); rectifier,
stator assembly; rotor assembly; CDI control box/electronic ignition control module; magneto; electronic fuel injection control module
and voltage regulator.
GAUGES: All factory instrumentation (mechanical and electronic) and electronic instrument sensors. (Light bulbs are not covered).
FUEL SYSTEM: Petcock; fuel lines and fittings; fuel pump and housing; diaphragms; springs; valves and actuating lever.
TOURING BIKES: Digital dash components; control cables; factory installed sound system (Speakers are not covered); fairing
hardware, brackets, switches, covers, latches and hinges; saddlebag/travel trunk latches, hinges and mounting hardware.
SEALS AND GASKETS (New Vehicles Only): Coverage will be extended to include Seals and Gaskets Coverage on covered
components.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 6:05 am

I took mine out as well - the most useless piece of equipment I have ever seen. Skipped on a crack in pavement.
Much more luggage space now and use MP3 for music.

John & Karen

2005 K1200LT Charcoal
1985ish Yamaha FJ 1200 (gone )
1971 Honda CB350 (gone)
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:30 am

You'll probably find a lot of folks willing to part with their slightly used CD changers for little more than the shipping cost (me included). Mine has been collecting dust in the garage for 2 years now.

Time to switch to an iPod?

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:58 am

If your warranty will get you a new changer take it and put it on eBay. Use the money to get a good MP3 player and enjoy better quality music and more luggage space.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:02 am

Hi gentlemens

I will be more than happy to free anyone's garage space

I'm looking for the CD harness that connects the Changer to the radio.

Anyone wanting to part it is welcome to contact me

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:40 am

I had that exact same problem with my CD changer. I went to Best Buys and bought a CD cleaner, put it in and it worked perfectly after that. It must have accumulate some dirt or dust that caused the problem. As an aside, I later took it out, and now just use an Ipod for music. Try the CD cleaner before you buy a new or used changer.
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
I had that exact same problem with my CD changer. I went to Best Buys and bought a CD cleaner, put it in and it worked perfectly after that. It must have accumulate some dirt or dust that caused the problem. As an aside, I later took it out, and now just use an Ipod for music. Try the CD cleaner before you buy a new or used changer.

damn dude, you are GOOD!!!!!!!!!

I was on my way to the dealer to get one ordered, but decided to grab a can of computer dust off to spray inside.

much to my amazement, it worked.... (only on cd 4 through 6..)

I went to the dealer, and sprayed it in again (nothing to lose!) and it worked!

All 6 cd's are working perfectly again.....

warranty would have covered the cost ($600++) but not solved the dirt issue...

catch 22 (or 23...)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CBCP

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:31 pm

You're still better of replacing the changer with a DICE iPod unit. I have my iPod nano hooked up and can go days without hearing the same tunes. Well worth the money

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in