02 Concours to 06 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

02 Concours to 06 K1200LT

Looking for anyone who has owned or at least ridden both the Connie(not C14) and the KLT. I am looking for a more comfortable two up ride. I have a few questions.

1. The Connie is considered top heavy. How does it compare the the KLT?
2. Will the KLT handle the twisties as well or better than the old Connie riding single? I am not a knee dragger by any means, however we do scoot along at a fair pace. I am trying to decide if I should sell or trade in the Connie or keep it for one up riding. I would prefer to keep only one. I may trade the Connie just for the convenience of not having to go through the selling process.

I am assuming that the difference in the ride between the two is significant. But the Connie is paid for. I hope that the difference would be worth the money spent.

I am also considering the Goldwing. But leaning more toward the KLT. If it were not for the numerous post concerning the final drive I think the decision would already be made.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: 02 Concours to 06 K1200LT

Yes, I traded my 02 Connie (Silver) for my first LT (02). There is no comparison. Lt wins hand down.

My concerns with Connie were shaking while passing semis and excessive heat to the rider. I even found a bolt falling off of Connie one time on my drive way which was engine mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmasparky
Looking for anyone who has owned or at least ridden both the Connie(not C14) and the KLT. I am looking for a more comfortable two up ride. I have a few questions.

2. Will the KLT handle the twisties as well or better than the old Connie riding single? I am not a knee dragger by any means, however we do scoot along at a fair pace. I am trying to decide if I should sell or trade in the Connie or keep it for one up riding. I would prefer to keep only one. I may trade the Connie just for the convenience of not having to go through the selling process.

I am assuming that the difference in the ride between the two is significant. But the Connie is paid for. I hope that the difference would be worth the money spent.

I am also considering the Goldwing. But leaning more toward the KLT. If it were not for the numerous post concerning the final drive I think the decision would already be made.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:23 pm Thread Starter

Yep,

Very familiar with broken motor mount bolts. I was on a ride in Death Valley and had one snap while riding. It was actually a temporary bolt that I had put in when I found a missing one during maintenance. I have also had the bottom motor mount bolt break as well.

How do you find the handling while cornering. Does the Connie corner any better with a single rider?

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:36 pm

I think LT is still superior than Connie even on single rider taking corners.

Another improvement is the braking. You can actually stop LT much quickly and safely than Connie.

Quote:
Yep,

Very familiar with broken motor mount bolts. I was on a ride in Death Valley and had one snap while riding. It was actually a temporary bolt that I had put in when I found a missing one during maintenance. I have also had the bottom motor mount bolt break as well.

How do you find the handling while cornering. Does the Connie corner any better with a single rider?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:44 pm

I have never ridden Connie, she does not know me well enough. I can tell you though that my LT is just as good on the curves for me as my GS.

Regarding the FD, life is too short to worry about what can go wrong with any machine. I hope that, if issues do come up, it will be in the warranty period but there are too many other great features of the LT to overlook the potential that I may have a mechanical failure.

It is a personal choice realy, stick with what you feel most comfortable/confident with!

Regards...

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm

After a few years of riding hiatus I bought a brand new Connie in 02. I lowered the pegs, installed a bar riser, installed a (tiny) backrest for my pillion...
After just 3 months I realized that I had bought the wrong bike for 2 up, sold the Connie, and bought a 99 Canyon Red LT on eBay. Finally peace and harmony were back home...
The LT stopping power is incredible and the bike is stable. Saved my bacon more than once .
On the Connie my hands were falling asleep if I got stuck in traffic from the leaning forward position... and the vibrations on the grips.
My pillion was unhappy with her leaning position as well and she would slam into me f I had to stop hard.
The Connie was a lot more nimble and quick from a red light.
Just 2 different beasts. I don't regret selling it and I am on my 3rd LT (all used).
I dropped the LT once at a stop, and I dropped the Connie once at a gas station.
I love the handling of the LT in the twisties (must keep it in the higher RPMs) and I have had no problems with the engine heat even in Summer in Palm Springs.
Heated seats and grips are a big plus, especially if you commute year round on your bike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 1:08 am

I sold my 02 Concours and bought a '96 RT. Two months later I bought a '06 LT. So I had both RT & LT. RT for one up and LT for two up. Best way to go as the LT is a fine ride, but no matter what anyone says it does not have the ground clearance or suspension for the same type of one up spirted ride as the Concours. Not to mention that the Concours weighs 2~3 hundred pounds less. The LT might surprise you though in just how capable it is on the road. So long as it is not a really twisty one like Palomar Mt road. I had to stick with the cautionary speed limit riding two up on the LT. I could have gone much faster on my RT or Concours even two up. Part of that is size, clearance, and weight.

The Concours is more top heavy than the LT, but if you stop too quickly on the LT and have the steering twisted just slightly down it goes. That really did not concern me though. The LT has nice bumpers to prevent significant damage.

I've sold my LT, but it wasn't really by choice. I just had a kidney transplant and needed to take care of some of the additional bills not covered by my insurance. I'll probably buy another LT down the road. In the meantime, I am looking to upgrade my RT to the newer model R1200RT.

Why? Because my wife started to develop hip pains getting on the LT. The narrower seat of the RT (current and older models) works better for her. Plus she didn't like being higher than me when I cornered or accelerated quickly. She doesn't have a problem on the RT, or the Concours. I have thought that the RT will do for most one up and occasional two up rides we plan to do in the short term, but I suspect an LT will still be in my future for long rides. I'm hoping a custom seat will take care of the hip issue on the LT. If not, then we'll just stick with the RT or car.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 1:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the great input. I'm not sure what I am going to do, not in a big hurry though.

I just rode up Palomar this weekend. We actually ride there a number of times a year.

I think I am going to have to give some more consideration to the GT. I may also eventually be commuting over the Ortega every day so handling and milage are moving up the list of important things to consider.
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 5:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My Connie was older, but LT is a far superior ride. Here's how I would break it down from spending 10 years with my 86 Connie before I got my LT.
Brakes - LT
Acceleration - slight edge to Connie
Cornering - Connie but LT is good for her size
Long distance comfort - LT
Air circulation - LT (no more baked drumsticks)
Two up comfort - LTLTLTLTLTLT
Mileage - LT
Cost of ownership - Connie
Farkleizeability - LT
Creature comforts - LT

Sold Connie Last week, and watched the new owner ride away, even though he had his truck with a motorcycle trailer. Had his daughter drive that home.

BTW my first day on the LT was 600 miles and I could have easily gone another 100. After 300 miles on the Connie, my hands would be "buzzy."

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Quote:

The LT is 200# heavier than the Connie, and a lot of that weight is up high. Yes, the LT is considerably more top heavy.

Quote:
2. Will the KLT handle the twisties as well or better than the old Connie riding single? I am not a knee dragger by any means, however we do scoot along at a fair pace.
For it's size, the LT handles really well. In the proper hands, it'll surprise a lot of sportbike riders.

Quote:
I am trying to decide if I should sell or trade in the Connie or keep it for one up riding. I would prefer to keep only one. I may trade the Connie just for the convenience of not having to go through the selling process.
Keep it. I kept mine and am glad I did. There's just enough difference between the 2 to make it fun to own both.

Quote:
Even more reason to keep the Connie.

Quote:
boo...hisssss Just kidding. Take the Wing and the LT for a test drive on the same day....and don't worry about the final drive. Forums are full of horror stories. Every bike has it's issues. With the Connie it's the junction box.

I've spent 18 yrs with my '86 Connie and have not regretted a bit of it, and am so glad I kept it after I bought my LT. I spent 2 yrs with the LT and finally decided I didn't ride 2 up enough, plus I couldn't get used to the up right riding position. The introduction of the new GT and rumors of the C14 didn't help either. The LT is a great bike, and there are times when I wish I had it back. If only I had the money and room for the Connie, the GT and the LT..................

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 8:41 pm
Bit

I've been riding for 29 years now. My last bike was a 2004 Kawasaki Concours and while it had its detractors, it was a good machine and a lot of fun.

I replaced the Kawasaki with a 2006 K1200LT and I'll never look back.

With the Concours you could drag the pegs through the twisties, it would launch like a rocket and getting to the plugs was a piece of cake. After adding a 45 liter Givi box, it had tons of storage space - even more than the LT.

That's where the good ended though. The Concours had that ever-present vibration that put my right hand to sleep after 15 minutes of riding. You won't have that with the LT and if by chance you do, a quick flick of your left thumb will set the cruise control and you can stretch to your heart's content.

Then there's the brakes... If you have to make a quick stop on the Concours, ya better be prepared for a rear wheel lock up 'cuz it's coming! On the Beemer though, brake as hard as you want - though with power assist it doesn't take any effort - and you'll stop as straight as an arrow. On top of that, there's virtually no nose dive at all. Even being 200 pounds heavier, I'm sure the LT stops quicker.

Top heavy? They both feel top heavy at slow speeds, but once you get either of them rolling, it's all good. The LT would not be my first choice for an everyday city of Boston cruiser, but then neither would the Concours. I'd prefer a '78 Yamaha Daytona Special, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

While the Concours will carve up the road, the LT will surprise the heck out of you. As big as it is, it sure doesn't feel like it until you start dragging pegs. At highway speeds and above (80+) the Concours was very susceptible to any sort of wind be it a headwind a crosswind or a draft from passing a car or truck. It was about as aerodynamic as a dumpster. It was like riding a sail.

The LT on the other hand was surely designed in a wind tunnel. Even cruising at triple digits, you feel secure and you aren't constantly ducking in as low as you can behind the windscreen to reduce your shape.

For 2 up riding there's no comparison at all; plain and simple, the LT owns the road. Your passenger will thank you for it.

If you think you need to keep the Connie for one-up riding go ahead and do it, but I think you'll sell it next year when you realize the 4 carbs are getting gummed up again because you aren't riding it enough.
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for the great insight. With the added cost of just having the Concours hanging out in the garage I will probably be better off trading it in. The Concours is in great shape with most of the farkles. But I feel that I probably would not ride it much.

2009 R1200RT
2006 K1200LT Gone
2009 Wee Strom Gone
2002 Concours Gone
2004 KLR650 Gone
1984 and 1988 Goldwings Gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in