Final drive rebuilding stuff - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Final drive rebuilding stuff

I am willing to rebuild another final drive or two for SUPPORTING members of this community. I would expect that shipping costs, bearing, seals, shims be reimbursed to me.

Also, I am looking for a post-02 drive to rebuild to have as an emergency drive ready for shipping to a stranded rider. (I already have a pre-02 drive boxed and ready to go). If anyone has a failed post-02 drive they are willing to donate, please contact me. (I thought I had one, but it turned out not to be rebuildable).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:03 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Final drive rebuilding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I am willing to rebuild another final drive or two for SUPPORTING members of this community. I would expect that shipping costs, bearing, seals, shims be reimbursed to me.

Also, I am looking for a post-02 drive to rebuild to have as an emergency drive ready for shipping to a stranded rider. (I already have a pre-02 drive boxed and ready to go). If anyone has a failed post-02 drive they are willing to donate, please contact me. (I thought I had one, but it turned out not to be rebuildable).
Excuse my ignorance but what made the drive not rebuildable?
Did the case get tore up inside?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Excuse my ignorance but what made the drive not rebuildable?
Did the case get tore up inside?
In this case it was a drive dontated with the intention of being used for the CCR tech session and then donated to the auction. Problem was the drive had been left out in the elements and water had gotten inside resulting in corrosion. It would have been cost prohibitive to replace all the needed components.

IMO it only make sense to rebuild a drive when only the crown wheel bearing and seal need replacement. If other components are bad, the parts costs goes up too much and replacing the whole drive makes more sense.

post #4 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
In this case it was a drive dontated with the intention of being used for the CCR tech session and then donated to the auction. Problem was the drive had been left out in the elements and water had gotten inside resulting in corrosion. It would have been cost prohibitive to replace all the needed components.

IMO it only make sense to rebuild a drive when only the crown wheel bearing and seal need replacement. If other components are bad, the parts costs goes up too much and replacing the whole drive makes more sense.
Hey, Curtis - quick hijack here. Can't remember where I read it (shop manual, maybe), butt read sumpthin' about if the FD is removed, do not lay it on it's side, or top, or nose, or ??? Can't remember why the notice. When you get one to rebuild, it's got no fluid in it, right? I can see where if it's full of fluid, you wouldn't wanna tip it, butt aren't they shipped empty?
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Curtis - quick hijack here. Can't remember where I read it (shop manual, maybe), butt read sumpthin' about if the FD is removed, do not lay it on it's side, or top, or nose, or ??? Can't remember why the notice. When you get one to rebuild, it's got no fluid in it, right? I can see where if it's full of fluid, you wouldn't wanna tip it, butt aren't they shipped empty?
No hijack Dick, right on topic I reckon.
It is a really a good idea to drain the drive before shipping it! I have received a drive shipped with oil in it. Bad idea. Even with double bagging, the oil got out, the carton got saturated. I'm sure the UPS guys loved it.

There is no reason not to lay the drive on it's side with oil in it other than oil is gonna come out the breather. If there is another reason, someone enlighten me.

Yeah, drain the oil before removing the drive from the bike. And put the oil back in after installing it on the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in