Final drive rebuilding stuff - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:55 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,395
Final drive rebuilding stuff

I am willing to rebuild another final drive or two for SUPPORTING members of this community. I would expect that shipping costs, bearing, seals, shims be reimbursed to me.

Also, I am looking for a post-02 drive to rebuild to have as an emergency drive ready for shipping to a stranded rider. (I already have a pre-02 drive boxed and ready to go). If anyone has a failed post-02 drive they are willing to donate, please contact me. (I thought I had one, but it turned out not to be rebuildable).
CharlieVT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:03 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter
 
LAF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Harrisburg , PA, USA
Posts: 2,989
Re: Final drive rebuilding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I am willing to rebuild another final drive or two for SUPPORTING members of this community. I would expect that shipping costs, bearing, seals, shims be reimbursed to me.

Also, I am looking for a post-02 drive to rebuild to have as an emergency drive ready for shipping to a stranded rider. (I already have a pre-02 drive boxed and ready to go). If anyone has a failed post-02 drive they are willing to donate, please contact me. (I thought I had one, but it turned out not to be rebuildable).
Excuse my ignorance but what made the drive not rebuildable?
Did the case get tore up inside?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
LAF is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,395
Re: Final drive rebuilding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Excuse my ignorance but what made the drive not rebuildable?
Did the case get tore up inside?
In this case it was a drive dontated with the intention of being used for the CCR tech session and then donated to the auction. Problem was the drive had been left out in the elements and water had gotten inside resulting in corrosion. It would have been cost prohibitive to replace all the needed components.

IMO it only make sense to rebuild a drive when only the crown wheel bearing and seal need replacement. If other components are bad, the parts costs goes up too much and replacing the whole drive makes more sense.
CharlieVT is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Final drive rebuilding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
In this case it was a drive dontated with the intention of being used for the CCR tech session and then donated to the auction. Problem was the drive had been left out in the elements and water had gotten inside resulting in corrosion. It would have been cost prohibitive to replace all the needed components.

IMO it only make sense to rebuild a drive when only the crown wheel bearing and seal need replacement. If other components are bad, the parts costs goes up too much and replacing the whole drive makes more sense.
Hey, Curtis - quick hijack here. Can't remember where I read it (shop manual, maybe), butt read sumpthin' about if the FD is removed, do not lay it on it's side, or top, or nose, or ??? Can't remember why the notice. When you get one to rebuild, it's got no fluid in it, right? I can see where if it's full of fluid, you wouldn't wanna tip it, butt aren't they shipped empty?
Dick is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,395
Re: Final drive rebuilding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Curtis - quick hijack here. Can't remember where I read it (shop manual, maybe), butt read sumpthin' about if the FD is removed, do not lay it on it's side, or top, or nose, or ??? Can't remember why the notice. When you get one to rebuild, it's got no fluid in it, right? I can see where if it's full of fluid, you wouldn't wanna tip it, butt aren't they shipped empty?
No hijack Dick, right on topic I reckon.
It is a really a good idea to drain the drive before shipping it! I have received a drive shipped with oil in it. Bad idea. Even with double bagging, the oil got out, the carton got saturated. I'm sure the UPS guys loved it.

There is no reason not to lay the drive on it's side with oil in it other than oil is gonna come out the breather. If there is another reason, someone enlighten me.

Yeah, drain the oil before removing the drive from the bike. And put the oil back in after installing it on the bike.
CharlieVT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Drive failure - no BMW warranty support BobbyLT K1200LT 28 Aug 21st, 2014 4:14 pm
Final Drive Rebuild Offer/CCR Tech Session CharlieVT K1200LT 2 Jun 26th, 2008 8:36 am
Final Drive Seal @ Drive Shaft Crestwood330 K1200LT 3 Jun 25th, 2007 8:58 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome