my frist BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:07 am Thread Starter

my frist BMW

Own it for 2 weeks now and loving it. This forum makes me wonder if I made the right choice with some of the problems I have read, I hope I stay out off the side of the road and enjoy it.

I live in rockledge florida any other members live around this area
ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 7:41 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: my frist BMW

Ed .... you have to take into consideration that "People in general " will talk more about problems they have with a bike rather then about not having problems. When something goes wrong you want to "VENT" . When all is good you say nothing. Sure these bike will breakdown but "ALL" bikes do. So just take it with a grain of salt. I have had my bike for a little over 3 years and almost 40.000 miles with only 1 problem. The shift linkage broke but I did a "Road Side" fix to get home (55 miles) . I bought the parts I needed and fixed it. I just got home last week from CCR with over 3000 trouble free miles. Just keep on top of the maintance and enjoy the ride.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:57 am

Just got back from 4,275 mi trip..
I took similar trip last year. Before I left I posted a thread like yours. Afraid of breakdown etc. I stayed on all interstates hoping to be near civilization when she quit on me.
I have now put 20,000 miles on her with "NO" problems. This year I was on all 2 lanes in the middle of nowhere. It's a great bike it eats up mileage like no other.
The good news is all the doomsdayers out there drive down used bike prices.
We can get great used bikes at lower prices.. Sorry if you have bought new and are planning on selling soon.. All new bikes lose value though.

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 9:46 am

Just got back from CCR, 3500 miles with SO. Not a problem...ran beautifully!
If used correctly this site is a wonderful source of info if you do have a problem. You have to understand that some people are a little dramatic and want to vent.
Unfortunately....you have to sift out the BS from time to time.

Other than that....crank the throttle and let someone else worry about breakdowns!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 9:52 am

I am somewhat of the same mindset as thunder. I have a conference for work next month 1300 miles away and plan on riding my LT. However, in the back of my mind I keep thinking of all the complaints you consistantly read. I understand that you only hear the bad but it does make one wonder to the point that I wonder if I should fly.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #6 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:06 am

49,000 on my boy now
and have a plan to cover 30 states next summer
Only problem on the road was a leaky fork seal..(waited 1,000 miles to home)
See map below

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #7 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
I am somewhat of the same mindset as thunder. I have a conference for work next month 1300 miles away and plan on riding my LT. However, in the back of my mind I keep thinking of all the complaints you consistantly read. I understand that you only hear the bad but it does make one wonder to the point that I wonder if I should fly.
Something can happen to any transportation anytime. My sister was in a plane and they had a power failure over the Atlantic and they had to emergency land in Canada. You can't let the "what if" worry you. Sure you can play what if and prepare for possible issues and carry tire repair kits, first aid kits, and a cell phone etc or buy the 03 model instead of the 02. But don't let the 'worry' prevent you from doing the thing you love. I almost didn't buy my LT because of some of the messages from this site but if I did that I would have missed out on 48,000 miles of great fun. Life is risk management isn't it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #8 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Editor's Note: While I am NOT superstitious, I am knocking on wood as I write this...

More than 122,000 trouble free, never-been-stranded BMW miles here.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I had similar concerns after coming to this forum, but soon realized that more people will complain or seek problems here than rave about their bike.

This forum is without a doubt, the best accessory any BMW owner could have. If you do have a problem, it is very likely that someone here will know how to fix it or even how to prevent it.

In 2004 Ride magazine did a survey of 10000 readers, on motorcycle reliability. BMW was the #1 listed brand.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...1210MWEBMP.htm

Any machine will eventually break. Ride what turns you on.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #10 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Check out this part of the site to get rides in your area.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Then next months a couple of Florida folks are going to this.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&nt=25&fpart=1

Also in January there is an annual ride to Ceder Key for lunch. Some stay the weekend, about 100 folks. That ride is posted BMWsport tourning site.

Another fun weekend is the annual spring training camp, which know held I believe is held in April and October, which is posted in the the first link I gave.

There are opportunities to meet folks, just go find them.

I rode my 99 LT to Alaska and back to Florida with 12060 miles trouble free miles. Just ride and do not worry about. I sure this board is a small % off LT owners.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder
Own it for 2 weeks now and loving it. This forum makes me wonder if I made the right choice with some of the problems I have read, I hope I stay out off the side of the road and enjoy it.

ED
I bought my first BMW, a 1969 R60/2, back in 1971. Since then I've added several other BMW's to my collection. I love them all and feel very confident I can ride any of them on a long ride without major issues. The few breakdowns I've had were pretty much my fault such as not noticing the clutch cable was worn out of forgetting to top off the battery water before several back to back 1000 mile days during a nasty heat wave. Sure, there are known issues that could cause a problem and BMW's corporate refusal to promptly find solutions is frustrating but given most of the problems are rare, the odds are you'll be okay anyway. Besides, breakdowns can lead to adventures and stories that make for great memories. My favorite unexpected side trip to Regina, Canada was due to said dry battery frying my alternator. A small price to pay for a great day exploring Regina made possible when the shop gave me the keys to one of their trucks.
post #12 of 24 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 2:05 pm

If I spend too long reading here, I get discouraged too. Then I get on and ride. What a bike. I've busted my shift linkage once, and now carry a spare. That one problem cost me about half an hour and I was up and running again. Maintain it, monitor it and ride the hell out of it. Just enjoy it.
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

I feel better knowing there are so many BMW owners with no problems or minor ones . I can't wait for my frost long trip and adventure
Thanks ED
post #14 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Something can happen to any transportation anytime. My sister was in a plane and they had a power failure over the Atlantic and they had to emergency land in Canada. You can't let the "what if" worry you. Sure you can play what if and prepare for possible issues and carry tire repair kits, first aid kits, and a cell phone etc or buy the 03 model instead of the 02. But don't let the 'worry' prevent you from doing the thing you love. I almost didn't buy my LT because of some of the messages from this site but if I did that I would have missed out on 48,000 miles of great fun. Life is risk management isn't it.
And how many CCRs would you have missed Michael??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
If I spend too long reading here, I get discouraged too. Then I get on and ride. What a bike. I've busted my shift linkage once, and now carry a spare. That one problem cost me about half an hour and I was up and running again. Maintain it, monitor it and ride the hell out of it. Just enjoy it.
Ditto! I just put the bad stuff on the back burner and enjoy the fact that someone here is more than willing to offer advice/assistence with the bike. I'm looking forward to working on my bike and saving some serious $$.

BTW, what year and model did you buy?
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 9:18 am

I live in Melbourne.

Space Coast BMW Riders meet every Wednesday at Jason's Deli in Melbourne across from the Melbourne Square Mall on 192. People start showing up about 6 PM. We also have two club rides a month. Stop by if you can.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: my frist BMW

Thanks for the info I will try to make it on wed
ED
post #18 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Ed,
You joined the RIGHT online forum if you're going to own and ride an LT. Good folks and lots of knowledge here.

Problems with the LT? Look at this way. They come here when they have a problem. When they don't, they're riding. See? Most I've read are legit problems that are manageable and easily handled. Some is just whining by short-sighted folks that don't want to accept that machines that burn gasoline and have moving parts break down eventually.

If you have a question from oil changes to major problems, don't hesitate to ask the forum.

Check out my "Engine Fire Trilogy". The only thing I didn't do was pull the forks and get into engine.

Dave
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Relax! Even if you were to become a statistic and have a Final Drive failure...(which is what everyone dreads) the journey there will be worth the cost. Every machine is just that, a machine. Damn I hated my Audi A6--when it cost me 1000's of bucks for service.. but at the end of the day.. .it was worth it. My beemer ... even after just a month and 3000 miles of pure pleasure.. I would readily cope with any mechanical issues that might ensue...the ride is that sweet...According to comments on this site by seasoned LT riders, if you heed your maintenance/service intervals and are consistent on your upkeep, you should experience tens of thousands of crisis free miles. 2up.. or psuedo sport touring..... you can't beat the blend.

Asleepless
knight
'03 LTE Titan Silver - Active Duty
'83 VF750F Interceptor White/Red - Retired
'74 MT250 Elsinore Silver - RIP
'72 SL125 Silver - RIP

BMWMOA #143933

post #20 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder

ED

If you will use the (Ignore) button on all the posters who continually put down or knock the BMW product,, especially the LT you will enjoy this Forum so much more than if you read all the whinning put on here..............Pete
post #21 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Welcome to BMW-ville,

I bought a used 2000 LT with low milage. Read all the negative stuff afterwards and tried not to worry.

Just did a nice 2k ride through So Colorado over the big weekend, no problems whatsoever. Averaged over 52 mpg for the trip.

I've put about 12k on it this year, wish it was more, and no longer worry about the breakdown possibilities. They are just that, possibilities. If we all constantly worried about the possibility of being in an accident, none of us would ride at all.

Enjoy your new ride.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

post #22 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Great deal!
I bought mine in July- 4k on her.
few things- but it was sabotage i tell ya.

Otherwise.. The best- gotta go now- I have 5 hours before work and I think ill take her to Galveston!
post #23 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
And how many CCRs would you have missed Michael??
Right! and maybe one of these CCRs we'll do the maint on mine. Seriously though one of the great benefits of attending was learning how it was done.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #24 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Welcome to the forum; welcome to the RIDE!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in