Headache - Garmin 2820, Voice Com II, HF820, and Blackberry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:54 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Angry Headache - Garmin 2820, Voice Com II, HF820, and Blackberry

My head hurts. I’ve read enough threads that now I’m thoroughly confused. My issue is I can either have complete BB cell capabilities via Bluetooth and HF820 or XM/MP3 capability but not both. BB is paired with the 2820. HF820 is also paired with the 2820. HF 820 wired to cell input on VCII. Also have cable from audio output of 2820 to aux in on VCII. When I turn off the HF820 I get XM & MP3 from the 2820 but loose dial, answer, end call via Bluetooth from the 2820. What am I doing wrong? This whole mess started when we converted to BBs for business. I thought this would give me an excuse to upgrade from the NAV II to the 2820 plus get XM and MP3. Any help will greatly appreciated.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 2:15 am

Re: Headache - Garmin 2820, Voice Com II, HF820, and Blackberry

I'd suggest removing the 2820 to VC II cable. I don't think you need it and it may be confusing the 2820. I had my Nav III configured as yours is with a Windows Mobile phone via BT. When I did the Nav III used a BT connection for voice prompts instead of the hardwired intercom interface.

I suspect if you remove the cable, your 2820 will also use all BT for connection to your VC II via the HF-820. You should then get phone, XM, and MP3 with just your HF-820, VC II, and headset.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 4:21 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the reply. When I remove the cable from 2820 audio output to VCII aux in - I loose stero audio through intercom & speakers and can only receive mono to the riders headset. Even under that set up, as soon as turn on HF820, I loose all audio with the exception of cell phone capabilities. I even tried bypassing the HF 820 and going direct to from the cell to cell input on VCII with the cell paired with 2820. I get dialog from 2820 telling me to connect a microphone.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 5:47 pm

The 2820, like the Nav III, does not include a BT microphone input/putput. Which is why it tells you to conenct a microphone to it. That's why the HF-820 is required in the first place. But it does make me wonder a bit about your configuration.

Let's start with a bit of the basics.

Have you updated your 2820 with the latest firmware? The Garmin webupdater can update the GPS firmware, bluetooth firmware, traffic firmware, voices, etc. If you haven't plugged it in to your computer and checked for updates you shoud do so now. New firmware can make a big difference.

It also just occured to me that there may be an issue with the HF-820. I just tried to look at the documentation for specifications, but couldn't find what BT stacks/protocols it supported. I sold my LT, so can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure I had stereo support on mine.

Are you using the BMW 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable for the conenction between the HF-820 and the VC-II? If not, how many segments do you see on your 2.5 mm cable? If you don't have 4 seperate one then your cable does not support stereo or microphone. You need 4 connections (+ L speaker, + right speaker, + mic, - common).

post #5 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
The 2820, like the Nav III, does not include a BT microphone input/output.
That's not true. I use my NavIII with bluetooth regularly for both listening to nav directions and talking on the phone. I've used it with a Dianese bluetooth helmet, and now with an Autocom Bluetooth dongle -- works just fine.

I don't think the NavIII supports the stereo bluetooth profile, but that's not a problem since there's no music capability in it either. I just connected the iPod directly to the Autocom. Works like a charm.
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
That's not true. I use my NavIII with bluetooth regularly for both listening to nav directions and talking on the phone. I've used it with a Dianese bluetooth helmet, and now with an Autocom Bluetooth dongle -- works just fine.
Well it will not work when connected to the Voice II and a wired headset/microphone wihtout using a HF-820 or externally wired microphone. It's a well documented issue on te forum.

post #7 of 8 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 5:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
The 2820, like the Nav III, does not include a BT microphone input/putput. Which is why it tells you to conenct a microphone to it. That's why the HF-820 is required in the first place. But it does make me wonder a bit about your configuration.

Let's start with a bit of the basics.

Have you updated your 2820 with the latest firmware? The Garmin webupdater can update the GPS firmware, bluetooth firmware, traffic firmware, voices, etc. If you haven't plugged it in to your computer and checked for updates you shoud do so now. New firmware can make a big difference.

It also just occured to me that there may be an issue with the HF-820. I just tried to look at the documentation for specifications, but couldn't find what BT stacks/protocols it supported. I sold my LT, so can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure I had stereo support on mine.

Are you using the BMW 2.5 mm to 2.5 mm cable for the conenction between the HF-820 and the VC-II? If not, how many segments do you see on your 2.5 mm cable? If you don't have 4 seperate one then your cable does not support stereo or microphone. You need 4 connections (+ L speaker, + right speaker, + mic, - common).
Thanks Art - you have hit on the problem - I'm using a BMW cable from the HF820 to VCII, part #BCP-15L. If I'm looking at thing thing right, I only have two separating bands which I assume is only 3 connections and not 4. Hopefully, I can find a cable @ Radio Shack or it's a 130mile, one way, trip to the dealer. I will also check for firmware.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

post #8 of 8 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:55 am

I don't think that is the right part number. I bought mine from BMW as well, but it had a regular BMW part number. I posted it on the forum a while back. I'd get it for you now, but when i sold my LT I also gave them all the receipts.

As for the bands, yes 2 bands means 3 connection. 3 bands is 4 connections.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in