I'm really trying to be an LT owner! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

Hi,

Here is my predicament:
I bought a fully loaded 2009 LT from the BMW dealer.
On August 12th I brought it into the dealer for the 500 mile service and some warranty work.
I called the dealer on August 20th and asked when my bike will be ready. They told me that the parts were in and they would "put my bike on the lift schedule". I guess they did
Here it is September 5th and my bike is still not finished! It will be 4 weeks this coming tuesday.

I don't know if they are swamped, or if they just parked my bike in a corner somewhere and forgot about it???

My problem is that there is only one BMW dealer in Utah! Only one place where I can take my LT for warranty work. Does anyone know of another bike shop in Utah (Salt Lake City) where I can take my bike for warranty work?

Please help!

Last edited by smartypants; Sep 5th, 2008 at 4:03 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:02 pm
Just ridin'

Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

I assume you are referring to BMW of Salt Lake. I have never seen a dealer bend over backwards for members of our community as that dealer did. They are the only authorized dealer in the Salt Lake City area. I would recommend that you call Tom in the service department and ask him specifically what is going on with your bike. If his answer doesn't satisfy you, call BMW at (800) 831-1117 option #4 - let them know what is going on and get them to give you a case number. Get the name of the agent and ask when you should expect them to call back with a resolution.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Well, we do know that the dealer had a some of their folks out at the CCR site in Midway from Aug 25 to Aug 29. That would account for that week. Have you talked to the service manager to find out the status?

Plus, you have now found the one issue most of us have with owning a BMW motorcycle, there isn't a dealer on every corner.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Sep 5th, 2008 at 5:21 pm. Reason: Grammar fixed

post #4 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

I know this dealer does allot of public service work. Am I wrong in my assumption that nearly 4 weeks is too long?!
I did talk to them and they said my bike would be ready tomarrow (saturday).

Thanks for your replies.
post #5 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:14 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants
I know this dealer does allot of public service work. Am I wrong in my assumption that nearly 4 weeks is too long?!
I did talk to them and they said my bike would be ready tomarrow (saturday).

Thanks for your replies.
Four weeks is absolutely too long. I would be curious what caused the delay. This was all warranty work?

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:17 pm

If the story is as it seems then I think the dealer owes you a huge apology. On a brand new bike, this should be one day maximum. They should put you into the schedule as soon as you bought the bike.

I'd be furious by now, you have much more patience than I do.

BTW, what day did you originally purchase your bike? I'm assuming it was shortly before you brought it in for service.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #7 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

I need to be fair.. They got the parts in on wednesday the 13th of August. The service worker told me that he would put my LT on the "lift schedule" then. So it's really been 3 weeks. Personnaly that is still to long for my liking, but that's why I'm writing here. A reality check so to speak.

I just brought it in for the 500 mile service, to have the GPS installed, to have a problem on the windshield track resolved and to have them replace the shift lever (I bent it when I laid it down at a stop sign. Stupid me! ).
post #8 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Oh and I purchased the bike 2 weeks before I brought it in for service.
post #9 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:30 pm

here is what worked for me... ask them to handle the oil change then schedule the "lift" when parts arrive. That way you can keep riding .. because YOUR warranty is still ticking.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:41 pm
fas

Talking Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

Quote:
I need to be fair.. They got the parts in on wednesday the 13th of August. The service worker told me that he would put my LT on the "lift schedule" then. So it's really been 3 weeks. Personnaly that is still to long for my liking, but that's why I'm writing here. A reality check so to speak.

I just brought it in for the 500 mile service, to have the GPS installed, to have a problem on the windshield track resolved and to have them replace the shift lever (I bent it when I laid it down at a stop sign. Stupid me! ).

Don't feel bad. We all drop our toys now and then. My dealership in six years of work on two BMW bikes I bought there never kept the bike more than the agreed overnight. Sounds like their vacation and travel schedules hit your shop time in a bad way. Ask them for something to make up for it.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #11 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Also the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Keep calling and get a date. You could also have them give you a loaner bike until yours is ready.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #12 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

Thanks everyone for your replies!
You are all amazing!

Steve
post #13 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 6:02 pm

3 weeks is too long if you were told otherwise when you took it in, I don't care how good the dealership has been to others. Having said that, we only have part of the story.

I'm trying to picture the conversation. You- Need a 500 mi service. Them- ok, bring it in on..., You- ok, I also need you to track down a windscreen problem and fix the shifter, Them-???

From here I would imagine there was a discussion about parts and that it might take (insert time here, one week, two weeks, etc). To which you could have elected to have them order the part and call you when it arrived (ya, I know it's a long way... many of us deal with that), or you might have said, "that's alright, I'll leave it with you until it's fixed." If you said somehting like the latter without knowing how long it would take, then you now know not to do that again.

So 3 weeks is too long if they promised something else. If not, maybe it's not.

Having read your post again, I think it's too long to wait from the 13th to the 5th, if they had the parts in then. Your bike should have some priority as it is already in the shop. Ask them what happened and get it clear what you can expect next time you need them.
post #14 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Angry Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

You gotta be kidding !!, If that happened in Minnesota, a call to the attorney general's office would have you on the bike in 2 days. We have 5 months of summer here. A new bike with missing over a month of riding would be 20% of your summer. I would get on em like an Alabama tick. I mean, did you buy the $20g+ bike from them?, and if so, what was the point in buying a 09 if you cant ride it? Talk with the manager, then call SLC attorney general's office (they will que your case and respond quickly) if the dealer does not have you on the road soon. That is totaly unacceptable, who's bike is it?

post #15 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:43 pm

If you're having second thoughts, check your lemon laws. In NC, if it is in the shop for twenty consecutive business days in any twelve month period of the warranty, you can get a new bike or ALL your money back (tax, title, registration, dealer prep) minus a small amount for use. For mine with 7000 miles, they would keep about 1800.

Of course, you are required to take action, if you invoke this. In NC, you must notify the manufacturer and dealer on the 15th day. Oh, and if they don't deal and you have to take them to court, you can recoup 4 times in damages plus attoneys fees...so I imagine it is in their favor to take care of it.

I've done a little research on this lately...

Of course, all this assumes it WAS IN for warranty work as you stated.
post #16 of 38 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:07 pm

If it were my bike, and I could still shift it, I'd ask for the oil change and then make an appointment to do the rest at a later time.

It simply might be that they had to order parts from BMW and BMW didn't have any in the USA.

Bob. 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #17 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your replies!
Just an update. On friday they said that it would be done on saturday. That did not happen........

I don't know if the lemon laws apply here because I haven't taken the bike in 3 times for the same issue. However, the bike has been in the shop for 28 days now, I've been able to ride it for 9 days! Is it just me or is that totally unacceptable?!

Has anybody out there returned a bike to a dealer with only 700 miles on it? Did you have any problems? Did you have to take the dealer to court?

Thanks again.
post #18 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:15 pm

http://utahlemonlaw.org/

Here you go. It does not specifically cover motorcycles, but it doesn't exclude them either.

Way unsat if it warranty repair. Doesn't matter if they had to order parts from overseas. The law does not allow for an unreasonable delay.
post #19 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:45 pm

I read it as Cars and Motorhomes.....i did not see Motorcycles Listed
but here is what i found for motorcyles at a lawyers web site...it looks pretty much the same.
http://www.lemonjustice.com/lemon-la...rcycle_law.php

You are right that amount of time is completely out of line now.....time to get rude with them....expecialy since they said it would be ready on Saturday after already a long wait.......I would start making some demands...atleast try to get the job done free....It is the least they can do for you...explaine to them you had to make a payment for a month for a bike you did not have and ask who is going to pay that Bill.....good luck i hope you get some resolution to this....

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

Last edited by woodey; Sep 8th, 2008 at 12:53 pm.
post #20 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Does anyone know the address of BMW Inc. motorcycle division?!

Thanks
post #21 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 4:08 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Does anyone know the address of BMW Inc. motorcycle division?!

Thanks
BMW Motorrad USA
200 Chestnut Ridge Rd
Woodclliff Lake, NJ 07677
[email protected]

(800) 831-1117 option #4

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #22 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 4:24 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Of course, all this assumes it WAS IN for warranty work as you stated.
My understanding from previous posts was that the delay was for parts damaged when it was dropped. Steve originally stated: "I just brought it in for the 500 mile service, to have the GPS installed, to have a problem on the windshield track resolved and to have them replace the shift lever (I bent it when I laid it down at a stop sign. Stupid me! )."

I don't think the delay was solely for warranty work. He is having four items taken care of, two of which are definitely not warranty items. He did not state what the problem with the windshield track was. Part of the delay was the receipt of parts to repair the bent shift lever. I am not sure whether the part to repair the bent shifter was back ordered or what caused the delay for that part to be received.

Hopefully Steve is communicating how he feels to his dealer in the same way and as often as he is telling us on this forum.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #23 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

I stated that all the parts were in on August the 20th.

I called the dealer on August 20th and asked when my bike will be ready. They told me that the parts were in and they would "put my bike on the lift schedule".

I realize that's only about 3 weeks wait. That's still 2 weeks too long! I think I have been more than patient and fair in this! Anybody else agree with me?!
post #24 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:49 pm

What Randy says is why I kept emphasizing "if it's in for warranty work." You stated you broke something. Lemon laws may not be there to protect you if you mixed services and they can find a way to justify the delay.

Live and learn.
post #25 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

And Oh... by the way. I did call BMW of North America and told them about it. They were very nice and just as astonished as I was at the (now) 28 day shop period.
post #26 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Wink Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey
.....time to get rude with them........
From having run and still running large parts and service departments for years, I know first hand that that approach definitely works. We always attent to the rudest customer first. Actually we roll out the red carpet for them. We even make comments in the data base to let every associate know that this customer tends to be very rude so we can be extra accommodating in the future.

On the other hand, customers that take a proffessional approach to state their case just waste their time. They are forgotten as soon as the walk out of my office.

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #27 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Angry Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

According to the Utah Lemon Law a motorcycle is considered a lemon if it has "been out of service for a cumulative total of 30 calendar days" which happends this Wednesday. I'm still trying to work this out with the dealer and BMW of North America....

Like I said, I've been more than patient and accomidating here. How would you feel if you were in my shoes?!
post #28 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Cool Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

The former service manager of BMW of Salt Lake and long-time BMW tech opened his own shop in SLC. I have used him and he does excellent work. I don't recall if he is formally certified by BMW, but that's a question you could ask.

Motorcycle Repair and Rendezvous
7021 S. Commerce Park Drive
Midvale, UT 84047
801-255-1444

He regularly came to the Red Rock Rally where he offered tech discussions and knew more about the LT than I had found out from several other dealers. You might give him a call.

Denny
post #29 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Thank you DENNY!!!
post #30 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:26 pm

I'd be pissed. Just don't know if you have a "legal" position.

This should not have happened... of course, we don't know the whole story. I'm cautious because I've seen where people have come on-line before and said things... and occassionally you'd get the "rest of the story." Not saying what you've stated isn't fact. It's just there are usually 2 differing viewpoints. But you make a strong case for neglectful service here.
post #31 of 38 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I don't know if the folks that own BMW cars have the same amount of trouble us bike owners have. If they do, I feel sorry for the dealships. Most car dealers ,domestic and foreign, have taken proactive approaches to their "Service Departments" , more bays, service techs, etc. They have come to the realization that customers that have unhappy experiences with their service department will not buy from them the next time. To bad BMW hasn't fiqured that out with their motocycle dealers.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #32 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: I'm really trying to be an LT owner!

So this is the final tallie...

Monday I called BMW North America and I talked to a guy named Dan. He said that he would call the dealer on Tuesday afternoon and call me back. Dan called Tuesday MORNING and told me that the bike would be ready by Tuesday before closing!

I called the dealer and talked to Tom the Service Manager on Tuesday afternoon. I had three questions for him. 1) Is my bike ready? 2) Why the nearly month delay. 3) Will this ever happen again?

Tom was very honest and upfront with me. He told me that he had no excuses for the delay and this was an ongoing problem that they were actively trying to fix. He sincerly appologised and told me that this would never happen again! I was so overwhelmed by his honisty that I felt my frustration and conserns melt. He is GOOD! I could see that the dealer was actively trying to fix these issues! I, for one, know what thats like.

I went up there to pick up my bike Tuesday before they closed.

I'm a happy customer again!

All's well that end's well!
post #33 of 38 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Well..I am glad your happy with the outcome and thanks for letting us know what happened.

I would still think twice about going back to them.....but thats just me

Keep the other guys number in case

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #34 of 38 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:35 am

Quote:

I'm a happy customer again!

All's well that end's well!
Well, good for you. I'm glad they made it right.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #35 of 38 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodey

I would still think twice about going back to them.....but thats just me
Actually I am thinking the opposite. Now that they know you and your history they will most likely bend over backward to take care of you in the future and not repeat bad history. JM2CW

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #36 of 38 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:16 am

Quote:
So this is the final tallie...

I was so overwhelmed by his honesty that I felt my frustration and conserns melt. He is GOOD! I could see that the dealer was actively trying to fix these issues! I, for one, know what that's like.
It's amazing how much customers will take when someone comes clean and admits the problem. I have a ton of patience when told the truth and kept informed. Feed me BS and act like it's my problem...I'll do everything I can to put you out of business.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #37 of 38 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:32 am

Good for you. BMW direct.
I amazed with how much hot testosterone (Harley equivalent mentality, legal advise) is on this forum.. me included. Sounds like all it really needed was good communication from the top down. A lesson learned.

post #38 of 38 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

OK so one last note.
Yesterday I took my LT in to the dealer because the front fork was leaking hydrolic fluid. Tom told me that my bike would be done in one day (today). I called this morning and it was done!!! Washed and everything!!!

I'm in grave danger of becoming a happy customer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in