Any other battery change surprises? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Any other battery change surprises?

I was very proud of myself for having read in the forums (you guys so rock!) that changing the battery means you have to twist the throttle through its full range twice.

Then I just came across a couple posts that say the alarm system will automatically come on too and you'd better have the fob nearby! Naturally I haven't--no, make that hadn't--been carrying the fob as I leave it in Mode B (don't automatically arm).

Anyway, before I have to learn by experimentation, are there any other things that will set, reset or erase if I have the battery out of the bike for a few minutes? I expect that the radio and maybe the trip computer will. Anything else?

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Re: Any other battery change surprises?

The clock but that is pretty easy to fix, just need a pen or something small to push in the little round buttons below the clock. I had to push harder then expected to get them to change. I just changed my battery a couple of weeks ago with no other issues noted.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Nothing exciting happened on my 2000. I always pull the NEG lead off first so I can't short against anything while unhooking the POS lead.

I see you are in chandler too. There are a couple of us around here, we should get together. PM me if you want to tire kick at a local place...

Enjoy your LT.

Steve
Chandler, AZ
2000 BMW 1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 4:49 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Any other battery change surprises?

The alarm retains previous settings ( at least for 2 months, as that's my longest time so far ), The clock to 12:00, Trip 1 and Trip 2 reset to zero, total milage remains, the radio resets, and of course the throttle as mentioned. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:14 am

Always disconnect the negative side (ground) of the battery FIRST, and reconnect the negative side LAST.
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone. I love this site.

Quote:
I see you are in chandler too. There are a couple of us around here, we should get together. PM me if you want to tire kick at a local place...
I'll do that at some point. I see other LTs onnce in a while when I'm cruising around town, maybe some of them are you!

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.

Last edited by Lare; Sep 5th, 2008 at 10:40 am.
post #7 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 2:37 pm

I'm going to need a new battery soon, so thanks for the good advice. Where is a good place to get a battery? There used to be a seller on EBay with batteries around $100, but I don't see them there.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 2:57 pm

About a week before CCR I changed my battery out but never read (until now) of the TPS reset. I did go on a couple rides at CCR that twisted the throttle a bit , so should I now be looking to do this, and if so, just do it or disconnect the battery first for a while?
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
About a week before CCR I changed my battery out but never read (until now) of the TPS reset. I did go on a couple rides at CCR that twisted the throttle a bit , so should I now be looking to do this, and if so, just do it or disconnect the battery first for a while?
I don't know what year your bike is, but on the early LTs with 3 fuse blocks under the rear seat, open the left most fuse box when looking at the back of the bike, and remove the bottom most fuse for an hour or two.

When you reinstall the fuse, turn the bike on, twist the throttle full open and then closed two times, and then turn the bike off. You have now reset the TPS sensor. Ride to your hearts contect. If you're mileage starts to roll off, then do another reset. But that should take some time.

On the bikes with only 2 fuse blocks, I don't know which fuse to pull, soooooo disconnect the battery for an hour or so and then follow the procedure as if you reinstalled the fuse.

If you have an alarm system and you disconnected the battery, make sure you have your alarm FOB handy.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Sep 5th, 2008 at 3:45 pm. Reason: Spelling fix
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
I'm going to need a new battery soon, so thanks for the good advice. Where is a good place to get a battery? There used to be a seller on EBay with batteries around $100, but I don't see them there.

This is the battery I just put in my bike, seems to be working fine. It was mentioned by others on this site, so I went for it.

http://www.batteriesasap.com/48.html

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstinthot
This is the battery I just put in my bike, seems to be working fine. It was mentioned by others on this site, so I went for it.

http://www.batteriesasap.com/48.html
Hey Mike. I have also read about that battery. It's half the price of my Odyssey battery. I might be looking at that one next time.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Hey Mike. I have also read about that battery. It's half the price of my Odyssey battery. I might be looking at that one next time.
Hey, Bones. I bought the Panasonic (shown in the pic as a comp). Looks like I can throw my Battery Tender away. Never drops below 12.89V, even after a month or so without a charge or a ride.
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 9:07 am

Don't forget to clean the terminals AND the 90 degree adaptor on the positive terminal. I thought my battery was bad and started to replace it only to find very minor corrosion on the adapter. I cleaned everything and reinstalled with dielectric grease and all is well three months later.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Bones. I bought the Panasonic (shown in the pic as a comp). Looks like I can throw my Battery Tender away. Never drops below 12.89V, even after a month or so without a charge or a ride.
I got the new battery last year (remember showing up in a toyota) and also got a Yuasa charger. I plug it in every once in a while, just to watch the pretty lights shine. It goes green pretty quick.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in