Re: H.I.D. lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Question Re: H.I.D. lights

On the former board, there were several who were in the process of installing a HID lighting kit that is/had been on Ebay. This is the kit that replaces the headlight bulbs. Has anyone installed it yet? What are the results?

TIA

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:59 am

Thumbs up Good Investment

I retrofitted my '01 after the first year and still love it. It was a few years ago so I don't know if today’s kits are the same as mine, so I'll just make some general comments. I upgraded my package to include the BMW 'purple' bulb, over the normal 'blue' cast bulb. I'll never forget the night and 'DAY' difference of my first night test drive. Not only was there more visibility, the colors of objects were more vibrant and real. It was like driving in the daytime!
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 9:33 am
Senior Member (ret.)

HID kits - some important info

Just be careful. I understand the Chinese kits are made of glass bulbs/lamps rather than quartz and have a potential of breaking due to pressure or vibration. When they break, the anode will keep trying to strike and will short to the nearest ground. This potentially turns the bike live with 23000 volts and has been known to cause fires. The more expensive kits like have a fail/safe mechanism in the ballast that will prevent the ballast from striking if the bulb is broken or there is no bulb.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 2:09 pm

Raffy would you recomend, I think the second one's are the china brand.

http://www.xenonking.com/5000m.htm

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...00012193QQrdZ1
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 2:13 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

HID recommendation

My preference is the www.hid-online.com kits. Yes they are expensive compared to the others. They do stand behind their product and I am very familiar with the kit. having installed close to 50 of them in the last 2-3 years.

No financial gain for me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 2:21 pm

Thanks Raffy, if I'm going to spend that much, I would rather have a proven product.
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:23 pm

Got mine but haven't installed them yet. FUD (fear-uncertainity-doubt) is a valuable instrument of sales. I personally can't believe that the Chinese versions would be allowed for sale in the USA if they failed as described. I could be wrong and hope I'm not because I fully respect Raffy's views.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:31 pm

In response to:

"I personally can't believe that the Chinese versions would be allowed for sale in the USA if they failed as described."

The same could have been said for asbestos, Chevy Corvair, and VIOXX...
Sometimes problems occur after the product has been on the market for a while...
I bought and installed my hid-online kit and the installation was pretty straighforward and I am very happy with it!!!

Gilles
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 3:36 pm

I purchased the hi & low beam HID's from Hid-online.com on
Raffy's recomendation. The kit is awesome!. It was very easy
to install (even for me who screws everything up). Was no
problem for them to ship and they answered my emails very promptly

Cheers

Ed Bruce
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:17 pm
CWF

I don't know anything about the shorting safeguards in these kits but can tell you that I bought my HID low beam (one half of an auto kit) from a no-name oriental sounding gentleman (spoke with him over the phone to get details) off of e-bay and I received a kit made by McCulloch (sp?). I certainly wasn't a chinese kit and it's worked fine for about one year now.

One mistake I made was originally not specifying the color bulb I wanted and he sent me a 6000 K bulb. However he swapped it at no charge for a 4700 K bulb.

Also this kit was truly plug n play. I did not worry about running wires directly to the battery since I was doing only the low beam.

I can try to find his name and number if you want it.

CWF
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:34 pm

CWF,

If you can locate his name please do and post..

TIA

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #12 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hid

I want to say "Thank You" to those who gave of their info, knowledge, and experience, it is greatly appreciated.

With what has been stated, I think I will wait a bit more before I make the plunge to HID. Thanks again and keep us posted on this.

tcars

John Carver
K1200LTC, AMA, BMWMOA
Greensboro, GA

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:51 pm
Prodigal Son

"Chevy Corvair,---"

Hey watch it now. Used ta race a Yenko Stinger, took down a few 'Porch' pilots along the way.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 8:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03LTC
I personally can't believe that the Chinese versions would be allowed for sale in the USA if they failed as described.
I don't believe any of these kits are "allowed for sale" but they are available nonetheless. Basically, you're upgrading your headlight at your own risk, but the results and increased safety are well worth the risk for most of us.

As for FUD, the hid-online kits are known to work well on the LT. The cheaper kits may work as well, but we haven't proven that yet. Sometimes you gotta pay for quality.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in