Hydraulic Centerstand on 2002 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Smile Hydraulic Centerstand on 2002 LT

I have been reading some posts here on retrofitting '05 power centerstand on earlier models. Basically, comments were that it is possible but too hard and expensive to do. One post mentioned that someone has done it for about $1000, but no other details were listed.

I love this bike. However, I also dropped it once trying to put it on centerstand in my garage. The bike gently swung away from me and I couldn't save it from falling. So it got some damage and that ended making me real nervous about putting it on centerstand.

In my opinion the biggest improvement to '05 model over mine (2002 Custom) is the power centerstand. So I called my BMW dealer and was told it's possible but it will cost more than $3000 in the end.

I've found a brand new '05 centerstand assembly for sale on Ebay - bike was triked and didn't need centerstand anymore. The price went up to $1500 and I didn't want to pay that much, so someone else bought it - or so I thought. Apparently, the buyer wasn't ready so I received the second chance offer for up to my bidding maximum. So, I purchased the part for $600. I thought if it doesn't work I'd resell it on Ebay.

But, it works! I just finished installing it today. So, I'd like to post anyone interested that it can be done and it really isn't that hard - I'm not a mechanic, but me and my friend got it done just fine.

So here it is how: the parts bought on Ebay are included in attached picture - this is all you need. It includes: sidestand, centerstand, subframe, electric motor, pump, and actuator. These parts bolt directly to existing area where original centerstand assembly was attached. I even reused the same bolts, as well as sensor on sidestand that cuts off engine if sidestand is deployed. No fiddling is necessary - the fit is perfect!

I have to say that you must have at least one more person helping, as well as proper equipment. The hardest thing for me was how to prop bike up without using center or side stand - we had a lift that holds transmission or engine of a car - we let the bike stand on its rear wheel and we lifted the front part of a bike using rope around front forks, below fairing up front (fairing didn't break). Then we unbolted old centerstand and sidestand assembly and bolted new one in it's place.

The new assembly only has two wires coming out of it, brown for ground and red for positive. I have wired these directly to battery because otherwise it probably won't work - motor is power hungry and needs at least 30-40 Amps. So running the positive from, say, lights won't give enough amperage for motor to work properly (I know, I've tried). I have run two switches - one is hidden and located on right side just below driver's seat (under heated seat switch), and the other switch is on right handlebar. So, in order to operate centerstand, I must first turn on switch under the seat which enables the switch on handlebar to work. I did this as a safety precaution, so I don't accidentally turn it on. The switch under seat cannot be accidentally turned on due to it's location and the way it works. Also, both switches have LED light on when turned on. I have also put a 30 amp fuse in wiring. Switches and in line fuse came from Autozone for only a few bucks.

I do not have any of the sensors that would prevent centerstand deployment if bike is leaning, etc. I feel that's not a problem for me, because I intend to use the power centerstand in the same maner as before, such as when bike is fully stopped and in neutral on level ground, etc. Also, I have wired everything directly to battery so I can operate centerstand without having a key in the bike. There is no drain on battery when switches are off. Also, if you activate both switches while bike is on centerstand nothing will happen except buzzing of electric motor.

I don't have any pictures of finished bike yet, because fairing is still off the bike (this is necessary to route wires properly and out of sight) because next thing I need to do is install my new GPS (Lowrance Iway 500C), which I am going to put on top of radio and wire to battery as well. When I'm done I will post pictures of a final product.

Now, my bike is a piece of cake to put on centerstand and is actually fun - I just love how it feels going up while I'm seated on it - pretty cool...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ee_1.JPG
Views:	1411
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1413  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:53 pm

Awfully tempting. Now we need more people to convert to trikes to improve the supply of parts.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:58 pm

Ohhh, man - Bob, this is gonna turn into being the 'Mod of the Year'. Gonna be a run on hydraulic centerstands!! Good job, and thanks for sharing. Be prepared for some PMs and questions.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:49 am

Yep, thanks for sharing... very interesting as a DIY project.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Thumbs up

I think you have started a trend. I know many have wanted to do that job.
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 8:55 am

electic stand

hi,i would like to know in which place put the button/switch on steering?and
when the electric stand is full down and you push the switch yet, how you know when the motor finish the operate, fuction is end?
because the new model have a sensor down there and when doing the attaching stop the function.this overlook...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in