just a couple of questions; reverse, etc. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

just a couple of questions; reverse, etc.

Have a Y2k 1200LT, and was reading a thread about reverse. When I use mine, it has always been jerky, like a pulse kind of movement. It has never been a smooth reverse. Never really liked the action, but thought these little bursts were so someone would not lose control or try to lift their legs and ride it. Are the bikes supposed to pulse in reverse?
Also, I have broken that darn trunk mirror several times. The little plastic hinges suck. I load up computers and projectors, or even the actual BMW luggage, and have replaced five in four years. haven't had one in a season. Anyone else have this problem?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:36 pm

No, I don't think they are suppose to jerk.... Mine is very smooth but I hardly ever use it.. You might try a load test on your battery and make sure it can hold a continuous load........Regards Pete
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:38 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by saileyboy
Have a Y2k 1200LT, and was reading a thread about reverse. When I use mine, it has always been jerky, like a pulse kind of movement. It has never been a smooth reverse. Never really liked the action, but thought these little bursts were so someone would not lose control or try to lift their legs and ride it. Are the bikes supposed to pulse in reverse?
Some bikes may pulse more than others, but you have to learn not to help the bike at all. Just let it do it's thing on it's own. It tries to modulate the engine rpm to keep the reverse action consistent, but if you make the least bit of help, it will sense that and you'll get the 'pulse effect'. Try it on a very evenly sloped drive and see if it will backup without the pulse as long as you don't provide any assistance.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:41 pm

Talking

Quote:
Also, I have broken that darn trunk mirror several times. The little plastic hinges suck. I load up computers and projectors, or even the actual BMW luggage, and have replaced five in four years. haven't had one in a season. Anyone else have this problem?
thanks
Most of us have also broken the cheap little hinges doing the same thing. On the old site there are a lot of posts regarding replacing the hinge with a small piano type hinge you buy at wally world. I did that with mine and painted it black. You can't even tell unless you really look and it's not going to break again.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 9:50 pm

Quote:
thanks
Hi, Bob - piano hinge is good!! Got mine at Home Depot; removed the mirror plate and just screwed the small brass screws directly thru, then snipped and filed off the pointy ends so they don't mess with thangs you put in the compartment. Good luck - one less thang to worry about from now on!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanity Mirror_IMG.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1415  
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The trunk mirror on my '02 is in great shape. It broke once soon after I got the bike, I got a replacement under warranty, and immediately put the replacement in a box in the garage. Now I have a little more room for the chin bar on my XL helmet. Whenever I sell the bike, I'll put the mirror back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:55 pm

I bought a used '99 about two years ago and the reverse has always seemed jerky to me. "Pulsation" is an apt description. It also seems to me that the reverse function it sort of peters out after a certain distance. I had my local dealership check the bike out before I bought it, and I specifically asked them to test the reverse. The dealer pronounced it normal so I've tried not to worry about it.

I broke my trunk mirror hinge about a month ago; glad to see the piano hinge fix in this thread.

I've been reading posts on this list ever since it was on Yahoo Groups. It doesn't take long to become familiar with the common nits and picks. I really like my bike, but sometimes I think I should tack a list of these common defects on my garage wall so I can know which one to expect next. At least the vanity mirror hinge is a cheap fix. Wish I could say the same about my broken trunk latch!
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 3:56 pm

My 99 seems to reverse just fine-but then I hardly ever use it. I don't think I have for a couple of years.

My hinge broke a few months ago. I haven't gotten around to fixing it as I don't use the trunk much. It should be a simple fix when I get around to it.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

thanks for all the info

I will go get that piano hinge today. I have several lids to try out on. Gonna be in the low 40's this week (SE wisconsin) and I may have to give it a ride.
thanks
saileyboy
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 7th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Have a Y2k 1200LT, and was reading a thread about reverse. When I use mine, it has always been jerky, like a pulse kind of movement.
thanks
Does it do it if you are backing up a slight incline? Mine did that on level ground, but if just a little incline to load it down it was smooth.

The reverse controller raises the engine speed so that alternator is supplying the current needed without taking anything from the battery, but if the load is light, it seems to confuse the controller so that it sees little need for added current and drops the idle back to normal, only to then see a need and raise it back up again. When I backed up an incline the need was always there so the idle stayed up.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in