No Final Drives in America - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

No Final Drives in America

Doesn't surprise me as I read a post within the last 2-3 weeks that indicated there are no final drives in the US of A. Shop says it may take a week to get one in. Oh well, if they get it in time, it'll be fixed. If it takes more than 20 days I WILL invoke the lemon law and get my money back from BMW. No more for me... the more I think about it. 2 final drives on 2 bikes is enough. And this one only had 6500 miles on it. Last one had at least around 28k.

It really sucks as I don't know what I would get to replace it. Everything except the final drive problem, I can live with. Now that the adventure is over, I'm having a harder time accepting it. I don't like the looks of the Wing... I may actually have to consider HD .

By the way, I went to NHTSA to register my complaint today, got all the way to models, and K1200LT isn't a choice!!! I'm gonna have to calli n the complaint, I guess or notify them they need to put the K12LT on for 07. I'll have to get the VIN our first. And if you haven't already, you may want to go to NHTSA and check your model against recalls- there are quite a few... hopefully they've been taken care of by your service folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:33 pm

Re: No Final Drives in America

In some states the lemon law does not apply to motorcycles. Florida is one of them, not sure about SC.

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Lemon law does apply in NC. 20 days consecutive (business days) and you can get your money back or a replacement- I researched all this today.

It's unfortunate because I really liked this nbke. Still do. But I do not know if I would recommend one to a friend. I would at least give them strong warning.

Also, it can be overnite if it was in USA. BMW will send it asap. He did say it would probably be a week or less. I don't know if this is because of a shortage of final drives or what, but that's what's going on right now.

Doesn't matter if it is a week. I wouldn't be going up there until this weekend even if it were fixed tomorrow.

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:00 pm

Question Re: No Final Drives in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Doesn't surprise me as I read a post within the last 2-3 weeks that indicated there are no final drives in the US of A. Shop says it may take a week to get one in. Oh well, if they get it in time, it'll be fixed. If it takes more than 20 days I WILL invoke the lemon law and get my money back from BMW. No more for me... the more I think about it. 2 final drives on 2 bikes is enough. And this one only had 6500 miles on it. Last one had at least around 28k.

It really sucks as I don't know what I would get to replace it. Everything except the final drive problem, I can live with. Now that the adventure is over, I'm having a harder time accepting it. I don't like the looks of the Wing... I may actually have to consider HD .

By the way, I went to NHTSA to register my complaint today, got all the way to models, and K1200LT isn't a choice!!! I'm gonna have to calli n the complaint, I guess or notify them they need to put the K12LT on for 07. I'll have to get the VIN our first. And if you haven't already, you may want to go to NHTSA and check your model against recalls- there are quite a few... hopefully they've been taken care of by your service folks.
I'm just curious. You say 2 final drives on 2 bikes. Does that mean you have not repaired one? Thanks, Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 2:38 pm

It does make one wonder?!

It seems as if BMW America doesn't know about the annual LT get together, and that as a result of the gathering, they need to have 3-4 FDs state side.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 2:49 pm

It does make one wonder?!

It seems as if BMW America doesn't know about the annual LT get together, and that as a result of the gathering, they need to have 3-4 FDs state side.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

I had an 00 Canyon Red Icon. Went out at about 28k. This one was obious, ut no leakage. You could feel the grinding in the pegs and it got real loud. Wore 3/4 helmet then and you could hardly hear the stereo.

This one is an 08 Biarritz Blue, 6500 miles when it died. The seal went out on this one, but not completely, with no indication (physical or audible). Leakage. If I hadn't looked her over at the stop, could easily have missed it until...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in