repair manuals - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

repair manuals

How good is the Clymer manual? Is there a better one? Recommendations?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 4:19 pm

Re: repair manuals

To the best of my limited knowledge this is the only manual available in print form.

There is the factory manual on CD and some service CD's by Paul Slayheigh (spelling).

Clymer manual comes complete with wiring diagrams and is fairly good for the average wrench. Some of the sections require a little extra thinking to truely understand what is required.

Factory manual is written for the factory trained mechanic. They quite frequently skip steps based on the assumption that you are a trained wrench and not a shade tree mechanic.

I like the Clymer since I can carry it the bike and leaf through pages as needed. This is harder to do with factory CD unless you print out the pages required for the service you are performing.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
To the best of my limited knowledge this is the only manual available in print form.

There is the factory manual on CD and some service CD's by Paul Slayheigh (spelling).

Clymer manual comes complete with wiring diagrams and is fairly good for the average wrench. Some of the sections require a little extra thinking to truely understand what is required.

Factory manual is written for the factory trained mechanic. They quite frequently skip steps based on the assumption that you are a trained wrench and not a shade tree mechanic.

I like the Clymer since I can carry it the bike and leaf through pages as needed. This is harder to do with factory CD unless you print out the pages required for the service you are performing.

Roy
Very useful response; thanks, Roy.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 19 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Very useful response; thanks, Roy.
The factory manual does come in print. It's still a leetle expensive (IIRC, I paid $135 for mine). Available in Europe at Motobins (google it). It doesn't, however, come with the electrical schematic, which is another $35-$40 from BMW.
post #5 of 19 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:09 pm

Talking Re: repair manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
The factory manual does come in print. It's still a leetle expensive (IIRC, I paid $135 for mine). Available in Europe at Motobins (google it). It doesn't, however, come with the electrical schematic, which is another $35-$40 from BMW.

The Clymer has been great for me except in the integral ABS brake beeding proceedure. Just too many if's to try it on my own. I'm hoping for a tech session somewhere close this fall/winter. Otherwise it's a $250 expense at the Dealer. Since brakes are important, I want to be sure I get it RIGHT!

Just my .02's

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 19 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 3:55 pm

I currently have the CD and printout, which was included with the purchase of my 00 in 05 (very nice of the owner) and you do have to fill in a few of the blanks as you perform some services, but I've not run into anything, yet. I couldn't figure out.

I've heard that service CD's by Paul Slayheigh are great and would like to get those to add to my collection and put together a tech group in my local area sometime next year (when I get the garage cleared from all the.... Ahhhh, lets say Junk
post #7 of 19 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLNLT
I currently have the CD and printout, which was included with the purchase of my 00 in 05 (very nice of the owner) and you do have to fill in a few of the blanks as you perform some services, but I've not run into anything, yet. I couldn't figure out.

I've heard that service CD's by Paul Slayheigh are great and would like to get those to add to my collection and put together a tech group in my local area sometime next year (when I get the garage cleared from all the.... Ahhhh, lets say Junk
Count me in on that tec group Dan we need one in the LA area

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #8 of 19 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:45 pm

I'll keep a list of names/handels on the side for when its time
post #9 of 19 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:36 pm

I bought the CD from the dealer and I have had problems getting all the pictures to work. I have not had time to talk to them about fixing this problem. Some others here have had the same issue. Not sure what the problem is but the words always work.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #10 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:29 am

How do I get in touch with Paul Slayleigh to get the maintenance CD?
I am a new BMW Owner, '06' LT, and also an ex-aircraft mechanic, so I am not afraid to do my own maintenance. I am reluctant to dig into my treasure w/o adequate info.
post #11 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnetto
How do I get in touch with Paul Slayleigh to get the maintenance CD?
I am a new BMW Owner, '06' LT, and also an ex-aircraft mechanic, so I am not afraid to do my own maintenance. I am reluctant to dig into my treasure w/o adequate info.
Here ya go. http://www.sayegh.org/bmw/service-video.htm

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I find the combination of the Paul Sayegh DVDs, the Clymer manual, and the BMW shop manual, in that order - PLUS some writeups from this site's Hall of Wisdom - are all excellent. I have very little mechanical ability BUT have done all the maintenance so far (oil changes, new tires, repair of electrical short) on my 2001 LT (purchased last Sept) myself. I am retired now so have more time than the average bloke.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #13 of 19 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLNLT

If you can count me in too I'd appreciate it. Long Beach aint' too far for me...
post #14 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:20 pm

Hi there

You can find the entire repair manual (39Mb) online at XXX.

You will need to register (free) and can then download the entire file to your C drive.

DCS777

Last edited by eljeffe; Jan 2nd, 2009 at 6:53 pm.
post #15 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm
Bouncer

David,

The site you have shared is providing an unauthorized copy of a BMW copyrighted document. Our guidelines (the same guidelines you and every other member of this community agreed to when they signed up to use this site) say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site Guidelines
Copyrighted materials: This site is available for the free flow of information among its members; each person is responsible for the content he or she submits to this site. Posting of copyrighted materials, links to pirated copyrighted materials or solicitation to buy, sell or trade pirated copyrighted materials is not condoned by the Administrators of this site. Any materials or links posted on this site which appear to be in violation of a copyright will be removed without notice. The Administrators of this site respect the intellectual property of others and will make every effort to assure those rights are not violated. The determination of any materials in question will be at the sole discretion of the site Administrators and a reminder will be sent to the poster referring to the current policy.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #16 of 19 Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:13 pm

I bought my CD from BMW online, and they had the printed manual also. I just checked to see if still available, only to find that they no longer sell the CD for the LT, only the printed version, and the price has come WAY down. Now $71.74!

http://www.bmw-riders-gear.com/BMWRA...1=&bplo=&bphi=

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 1:47 am

Hi all.

Sorry about the link to the online manual. I didn't realise that it was one of those illegal file sharing websites.

DCS777
post #18 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:12 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS777
Hi all.

Sorry about the link to the online manual. I didn't realise that it was one of those illegal file sharing websites.

DCS777
It's not the site that is illegal. It's the distribution of the intellectual property of someone that is problematic at best and theft at worst.
post #19 of 19 Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:30 pm

I have the cymer manul, printed the owners cd, printed the how to from this web site, attended tech sesions, and ask questions here and then scratch my head.

good luck

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in