This time more than my ego got hurt! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

This time more than my ego got hurt!

Well today I pushed her off the center stand while at a gas pump and didn't realize (notice? forgot? daydreaming?) that there was a slight slope to the concrete slab and by the time her listing woke me up it was to late and BAM, over she went towards the pump. The windshield slammed into the pump and really twisted and torqed. I got her up alright, but there is damage to the two front windshield levers that hold the windshield to the motor. The right one is slightly bent and the left one broke away from the housing. The windshield itself is actually okay with only a minor scratch. Haven't had a chance to take her apart and have a real good look (tomorrow nights fun in the garage) but does anyone know if I will have to replace the whole damn motor housing etc or are the lever arms replacable by themselves.

Really put a damper on the rest of the trip as I couldn't stop thinking how careless I was!

Postscript: We all know the saying, there are two kinds of LT riders: those that have dropper her and those that will. I have dropped mine three times (before today): 1) practicing figure 8s when I first got her, 2) balancing her on a slope while in gravel and 3) just sitting in my driveway! I don't feel bad about the first two and all were with no real consequences except my ego.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:06 pm

Re: This time more than my ego got hurt!

Contact Tony at ltparts.com; he is a vendor on this forum. I am sure he will have what you need. The arms do come off the motor assembly so your motor should not have to be replaced.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:08 pm

Check very carefully after taking off the windshield and the gray plastic piece that goes down around the windshield arms. Hopefully you'll find it just popped out of the plastic. If not, then you're in for a big repair as that is a complete assembly and not just pieces that you can replace.

Check with several of the used parts dealers before you shell out the bucks for a new one.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:27 pm

Good thing you're OK.

Now, come up with a better story on how you damaged your LT (tagged a tree limb jumping it, deflected a Stinger missile and thwarted a terrorist attack, grinding the engine spoiler got old so I decided to see if I could drag a winglet, etc...)

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's easy to do when pushing off the center stand on a slope. Just an FYI...you can get more gas in her if she's on the side stand.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on filling with the side stand. I think my real problem was that I just wasn't paying attention and you don't get much slack when she reaches that "magic angle".
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:48 am

Glad you didn't suffer more than ego pain; trashing the gas pump could have been expensive! (I've paid for the local pumps with the recent gasoline prices; it would be a refund if I trashed one)

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

Well I thought I would add a happy ending to my drop saga. I called BMW parts and got a quote for $562 for the windshield motor assembly! Was not looking forward to forking out that kind of $$ for my carelessness and was realy bummed.

Got home and pulled the shield assembly off to discover to my delight that the extent of damage was that the pin on the left side lever had popped out of its seating. How they popped out without breaking the plastic retainers I have no idea. The pin goes through one side of the lever, then through a spring and into the other side of the lever and is held in place with a spring clip. The retainers that hold the pin are open on one side and all that happened was the pin popped out. I took it apart, realligned everything and put the pin back in. There is a very slight "bend" to the left which is not really noticable unless someone told you and you looked carefully.

Anyway, all I ended up with is a slightly scratched shield and a bruised ego!
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:50 pm

Busted ego is like a busted lip. It heals and you'll learn from it.

Happy to hear all ended well.

Mark
'07 RT
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:55 am

Don't feel to bad, your not alone. Upon ending my first long ride on my 00 LTC, I got back on a very overpacked bike on the oppisite side that I had been getting on over the 4300 miles, only to feel her begin to pull to the right.

Not having my Head, Space & Timing in place to think I could stick my foot into the pump, I tried to reach the ground...

10%, 20%, No comming back.... Bang! Crash!

There I was lying stuck underneath the bike looking through 1/2 a windshield that the pump just took out.

1 Rider Buddy, 1 Gas Attendant and 2 Patrons later, I was standing again, and was Rated R for the next 5 minutes.

Had to ride the last hour home looking through a 1/2 windshield, the other 1/2 strapped behind me.

I feel you pain.

(I'll post a pic for ya this week too)
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 3:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLNLT
Don't feel to bad, your not alone. Upon ending my first long ride on my 00 LTC, I got back on a very overpacked bike on the oppisite side that I had been getting on over the 4300 miles, only to feel her begin to pull to the right.

Not having my Head, Space & Timing in place to think I could stick my foot into the pump, I tried to reach the ground...

10%, 20%, No comming back.... Bang! Crash!

There I was lying stuck underneath the bike looking through 1/2 a windshield that the pump just took out.

1 Rider Buddy, 1 Gas Attendant and 2 Patrons later, I was standing again, and was Rated R for the next 5 minutes.

Had to ride the last hour home looking through a 1/2 windshield, the other 1/2 strapped behind me.

I feel you pain.

(I'll post a pic for ya this week too)
After all you went throght this trip i am suprised to here it was only 5 minutes

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #12 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:06 am

Joe,

Glad that the repairs were not as bad as initially thought and it sort of worked out.

QUESTION: Do you take your bike off of the center stand while you are beside the bike ( I see lots of BMW mechanics do this and I cringe) or were you straddled on the bike? If you were beside the bike, my recommendation would be to NOT do that! I see it done from time to time and I just don't have the nerve to try it..... Just my 0.02

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:50 am

Don't feel too bad. That is exactly how I dropped mine, at a gas station getting off the center stand. Only thing damaged in my case was my ego
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It's easy to do when pushing off the center stand on a slope. Just an FYI...you can get more gas in her if she's on the side stand.

Why is that? Why does it take more fuel while on the side stand?
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:23 am

Dropped mine twice, both times at gas stations. First one in Canada.Put foot down on dirt & loose gravel, on smooth concrete. Tried to catch it to no avail. Wife put her left foot down to try same, as I let go of handle bars... passenger footpeg caught her inside left leg just above the ankle & entire weight of loaded bike rolled up her left leg. Trip over! Her leg was described by the orthopedic MD as looking like a macroni necklace. She still rides with me. Second time was at a station in Wyoming. I did not notice puddle near pump as I pulled up. It was spilled gas on a very smooth concrete pad. Left foot down & out, as bike did a nice half gainer to same side. Wife & i picked it up with the usual damaged ego, until a fellow traveler who was taking a break said he had seen 2 other 2 wheelers do the same thing in the last 10 min.
post #16 of 16 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
Why is that? Why does it take more fuel while on the side stand?

Have you seen the shape of the gas tank? When the LT is on the side stand the filler is just about the highest point.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in