Diagnosis Please.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Diagnosis Please....

I finally arrived home from the Finger Lakes Rally last night around 2 AM. I had a great time despite my bike dying on me.

On Saturday, after taking the bike on the Watkins Glen Race Track (more on that later), I went exploring this absolutely gorgeous area of NYS. Riding on the northern tip of Seneca Lake, I pulled off to take a picture of the LT with the lake in the background.

I get off the bike, walk around to the right side to get a better look of the lake. The bike is still running but in neutral. What happens next gets blurry but the LT ends up falling on me and pins me against a guardrail.
The windscreen hits the guard rail and the mirror pops off. No biggie, another dropped LT story right....WRONG!

I get her back up and try to start her, but I can't get her into neutral. I pull in the clutch to start her in 1st and MUSH. I ended up running out the starter in first and the damned thing almost goes out from under me. I shoot out across two lanes and almost go up onto someone's lawn. I some how get her under control and pulled over to the side of the road to safely assess the damage. Nothing major- a few scuffs but nothing broken.

I restart the bike- no neutral. I decide to ride her back to the camp grounds. I have a full range of gears but again, no neutral. In order to engage the clutch, I have to pull it all the way in instead of a quarter or half as usual.

I stop off at Wally World for tylenol for my back and knee (she did fall on me before hitting the ground). When I came out, there was a puddle of something clear and oil dripping from above the center stand. I get back to the campgrounds and I talk it over with some of the other campers.

We look at the clutch fluid glass and see that it is almost empty. I open it and it is mostly empty. I see floating chunks of stuff in the remnants. I decide to go add more brake fluid so I ride off to the local gas station. Before leaving, I pump the clutch for 2-3 minutes to get the air out. All I get is first gear. I get to the service station, put the fluid in and pump away again. Now, I get her to shift to 1-3, no neutral and no 4th or 5th gear. I get back to the campgrounds and call for a tow the next morning.

The fat lady is sitting at the Country Rode Motorwerks in Fairport, NY- a full 7 hours away from home. I ended up getting a rental car to get my butt home for the first day of school tomorrow.

When I call the dealer in the AM and he looks at the evidence - both my testimony and the bike itself- what is he going to say?

Clutch?
Slave Cylinder?
Broken Connector?
Fried Transmission?
All of the above?

And how much will it cost me to find out- Stay tuned!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Sep 1st, 2008 at 5:09 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:13 pm

Re: Diagnosis Please....

I suspect that some air got in the clutch system when the bike fell to the right side. Adding fluid alone cannot solve the problem, you also need to purge the air oput of the system. The slave cylinder purge valve is on the right side of the bike and can be accesses after removing the tipover wing. It is zip tied to the sub-frame and the end is covered with what looks like a small gip-puppy. Pull the "grip-puppy" off and remove the en screw. If you have a Speed-Bleeder the job will be easier and you can do it by yourself; if not you will need someone to pump the cluch handle while you open ans close the bleed valve. Be sure to use DOT 4 from a new container only. A pint of that stuff only costs around 3 bucks anyway.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:55 pm

Rob,
I just replied to another member regarding bleeding the clutch hydraulic system. See "strange clutch problem", posted today.

I had to replace the hydraulic line from the handlebar to the clutch slave cylinder due to an engine fire at a gas station. (And you think you had a bad day? Thank God we're both alive!)
Needless to say, changing out the clutch line introduced a lot of air into the system, but I was able to bleed it out successfully.

The fire required me to do major disassembly of the bike - another story - and the best way (but not the recommended way) to learn the LT.

I've wrestled that tranny in and out of the bike a couple of times, and I don't really think that you could possibly hurt it by tipping the bike over. Same for the gear indicator. From your description, I just think that there is a lot of air in the lines due to the bike being on it's side.

If you're not mechanically inclined, let some dealer do the work, and brace yourself when the bill comes. Otherwise, utilize this on-line community. There is a tremendous wealth of knowledge, experience, and willingness to help out.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
!

I stop off at Wally World When I came out, there was a puddle of something clear and oil dripping from above the center stand.
When I call the dealer in the AM and he looks at the evidence - both my testimony and the bike itself- what is he going to say?

Clutch?
Slave Cylinder?
Broken Connector?
Fried Transmission?
All of the above?

And how much will it cost me to find out- Stay tuned!
So the Question is where did the fluid come from. The worse case scenario is a loose line on the slave cylinder or failed slave .
Is there a weep hole?

BTW what about WG ?

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:18 am Thread Starter

Garage

I just spoke with the Service Manager at the Dealership. It will be almost TWO WEEKS before they look at the beast.

That puts a huge crimp into my Fall riding plans.

Stay tuned!

Hey Pete, what's WG?

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #6 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:53 pm

Talking Re: Diagnosis Please....

Quote:
Hey Pete, what's WG?
Based on your avatar I would venture to say Wet Girl.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:07 pm

I'm guessing Watkins Glen:

Quote:
On Saturday, after taking the bike on the Watkins Glen Race Track (more on that later)...

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Watkins Glen was a blast!

It was a charity ride sponsored by Country Rode Motorwerks- the BMW Dealer in Fairport NY. For $20, we were able to do three laps on this legendary course. We were originally told, no passing and a 55 MPH speed limit. After all of the bikes (about 120) got on the track, the Pace Car took off leaving us to our own devices. I hit 97 according to the GPS on the Light Truck. I would have pushed it harder but I had two riders in front of me drifting into my line.

I finally passed the two of them in the final lap.

Still, an awesome time! I would definitely sign up for next year.

I'm going to miss the LT for the next two weeks.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:24 pm

Quote:

I get her back up and try to start her... I ended up running out the starter in first and the damned thing almost goes out from under me. I shoot out across two lanes and almost go up onto someone's lawn. I some how get her under control and pulled over to the side of the road to safely assess the damage. Nothing major- a few scuffs but nothing broken.

Rob...Man, you know I luv 'ya but the mental image that paragraph conjured up had me rolling in the floor... Sorry, couldn't help it.

I am betting on air getting in the line on the fall or the Slave Cylinder is gone. Probably the latter.

How much is it gonna cost ya to get it fixed??? Parts only if you bring it to my house! Oh yeah, you're WAY north of the Mason/Dixon.

Hope they get it repaired soon.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Watkins Glen was a blast!

It was a charity ride sponsored by Country Rode Motorwerks- the BMW Dealer in Fairport NY. For $20, we were able to do three laps on this legendary course. We were originally told, no passing and a 55 MPH speed limit. After all of the bikes (about 120) got on the track, the Pace Car took off leaving us to our own devices. I hit 97 according to the GPS on the Light Truck. I would have pushed it harder but I had two riders in front of me drifting into my line.

I finally passed the two of them in the final lap.

Still, an awesome time! I would definitely sign up for next year.

I'm going to miss the LT for the next two weeks.
My wife and I almost came up on Saturday for the track ride. I live 30 miles south of Watkins Glen. I figured the crowd would be huge as I saw a lot of BMWs heading north on Route 15 on Friday and Saturday. 120 isn't bad at all for a track the length of The Glen. OK, got to do it next year.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but it is in good hands with Jake and crew at Country Rode (that is where I bought my LT last year). But, yes, their shop is booked full and I typically have to make appointments 2-4 weeks in advance for service. However, I have found their shop charges to be pretty reasonable, at least as reasonable as anything related to a BMW will ever be.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in