Amsoil & NGK = Big Improvement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Amsoil & NGK = Big Improvement

Shortly before the 08CCR, I performed the usual services before the ride.

For some time now, since the replacement of the 02 sensor, she's not been 100% like she was coming out of the shop from a major being performed.

Additionally, when parked on her sidestand and left for a bit, she would smoke worse than a train. Embarassing to say the least.

I happended by my favorite Master Tech to review and he suggested using the NGK Iridium Plugs, which I picked up from him for $45 for the set of 4.

I also had planned to swap out oils this time around and go with Amsoil 20-50 (link: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcv.aspx ).

After swapping out the plugs (no adjustments made), I could see an immediate difference in the way the bike started up. Crisper, Sharper and more responsive.

As for the oil change over... Initially I did hear alittle more engine than previously, but it was after the ride out to Midway, UT (approx 10 hours) is when I really saw a big difference.

First, parking the bike on the sidestand all the time while there, she not once smoked upon startup. And the drip leak I had coming from underneath were engine and transfer case is located, stopped all together as well.

Secondly, doing incremental rides while at Midway, she was quite and smooth and I just could'nt beleive the improvements I acheived from two simple changes.

The bike does run better, but probably still needs the valves adjusted being its been about 10k since the last adjustment.

But I'm a Major Happy Camper now.

The only minor downside to using the NGK plugs over the Bosh is you have to use a different size (smaller) socket, as the tool pouch socket is to big. Just another tool for the road.

Again, minor inconvenience for such an improvment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGK_IR1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	19377   Click image for larger version

Name:	NGK_IR2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	19378   Click image for larger version

Name:	NGK_IR3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	19379  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:34 pm

Re: Amsoil & NGK = Big Improvement

Folks on the Sportster forum talked about Iridium plugs with 10.5:1 CR; same kind of talk with the F150 forum running boost from superchargers or turbochargers.

Makes sense that the Iridium plugs with 10.8:1 in the LT would provide better performance. $45/set makes one wonder.

Thanks for the info!
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #3 of 3 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:32 pm

Re: Amsoil & NGK = Big Improvement

1+ for the NGK Iridium plugs
got mine from Oreillys Auto ,not an in stock plug but twenty something $ out the door ,checked them at 20K miles looked almost new
after changing to Iridium plugs the black soot on the tail pipe is a lot lighter and almost black/grey color and now i get 49-50MPG 2up at 75mph corrected speed
they last so long might need neverseze for install
Bob G
99LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in