Strange clutch problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:15 am Thread Starter

Strange clutch problem

After a 130 mile ride yesterday with no problems, I took the bike out of the garage today and found an odd thing with the clutch.
Pulled the clutch in fine, engaged first, then pulled away up the drive, as I pulled away, slipping the clutch, it engaged itself fully and the bike stalled, I tried again but the clutch would not fully disengage. Pumped the lever several times and I now have full clutch use. I'm guessing this won't be the end of the problems, it's a 99 with 31K and afaik, no slave cyl bleed hole. Didn't notice and clutch slipping on out two up ride yesterday.
Simon

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:23 am

Re: Strange clutch problem

How's the fluid level? And have you bled the clutch lately? If you engaged the clutch with the bars turned all the way one way and were a little low on fluid you could have gotten a slug of air in it.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:53 am Thread Starter

AAAHHHHHAAAAA!!!!

I think that is exactly what happened, the fluid was a trifle low when I took the cap off after I pulled the clutch in while the bike was on it's side stand, Is bleeding the clutch a big deal on these bikes?
I think I'll have to drill the drain hole thingy while I'm at it.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:26 am

Hello Simon

No it is not a great deal of work

there is a bleed hose behind the lower right tupperware ,real close to the right tip over elbow, just fish it out an have a go at it

Bob G
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 1:28 pm

Hi Simon!

Bleeding clutch is simple work. But when did you have your fluid changed last time? Make sure that it has not been in your bike more than 2 years. Would be easy to change at the same time when you bleed your system.

Regards
Leiboshi
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:52 pm

I successfully bled the clutch on my '03 LT two days ago. I had to replace the clutch hose above the engine due to a fire. Yup, it melted the hose shut. The fire is a long story and you'll see it in a another posting when I get the photos organized.

Back to your clutch: I followed the advice on some postings that I found on this website and this is what worked well for me:

1) Buy a SpeedBleeder, #SB1010S. It's $7 for the bleeder and about that much for shipping. They will overnight it to you.

2) When the SpeedBleeder arrives, put the bike on the center stand, put the handlebars at full right position, put a 2x4 under the front tire, and remove enough tupperware (starboard engine cowling) to expose the bleeder fitting which is tie-wrapped to the frame underneath the fuel line fittings. The bleeder fitting has a soft rubber shroud around it.

3) remove the grub screw (must be German mech slang, what's a grub, anyway?)

4) Remove the fitting with the check ball carefully. It has quite a bit of red Loctite on the threads, so be patient.

5) Set the grub screw and the check ball fitting on your work bench. That's where mine are. I haven't thrown them away yet.

6) Wrap the SpeedBleeder threads with teflon tape, otherwise, air will be drawn back in when you release the clutch lever. Screw the SpeedBleeder into the bleeder hose fitting all the way, then back it off about a 1/3 of a turn.

7) Remove the clutch reservoir lid, and fill nearly to the top with DOT 4 brake fluid. Better put a few rags on all painted surfaces in case of a spill...

8) Assuming you already have put a short length of clear 1/4" vinyl tubing on the SpeedBleeder nipple, slowly pull in the clutch lever all the way, then release slowly. Repeat several times. I got the best results by orienting the vinyl tube vertically, rather than draining into a coffee can. That way, you can see the bubbles (or lack of) more easily.

Let us know how it works for you.

Dave
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Simon,
Most likely the slave cylinder is in the early stages of failure. I had a '99 & the symptoms were the same. I'd be sitting there with the clutch pulled in & the clutch would SLOWLY engage itself & stall the motor.
If you catch it early it will probably not damage the clutch.
When I pulled mine down the clutch was fine @ 60k
Drilling the famous "weep hole" that everyone talks about won't do JACK to FIX your problem. I went on to put 145k without the "weepy hole" before I totaled it & it never need to be drilled.
The slave cylinder will have to be replaced!
Not an easy job for the unskilled & faint of heart!
Had to do it several years ago on my '99 because the extended warranty would not cover anything with the word CLUTCH in it.
I can send you some pics of the job if you're interested.
PM me [email protected]
Chris
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Mine did the same thing in Sept of 2000.

When I brought it in for the 800 mile oil change, I told them it needed a "tune-up" cause it had a flat spot, and to check the clutch cylinder, they couldn't find anything wrong with the clutch system.

It's worked fine since then.

They gave me the bad news though, it was a defective program causing the hesitation.

Bob, 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 3:59 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Strange clutch problem

Thanks for the advice guys.
It seems it was a slightly low fluid combined with the bars being turned all the way which may have introduced some air into the system. I bled it thoroughly and it's fine now.

Simon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in