Epithany - It Ain't A Cruiser! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Epithany - It Ain't A Cruiser!

While riding up Highway 33, a nice twisty mountain road, I was still trying to get comfortable through the curves on the LT. Curves felt abrupt, and unsettled. It snapped from upright to lean. I changed my riding position, and suddenly the whole bike transformed from a luxury cruiser to a luxury sport bike! I had been sitting back, upright, arch of foot on peg, and trying to punch it through corners like the Moto Guzzi. When I shifted my feet and put the ball of my foot on the peg, and leaned forward into the tank more like a crotch rocket position (but not extreme) suddenly it started falling into corners smoothly, held a line tightly, and felt like a million bucks.

OMG - what a bike!

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:38 pm

Re: Epithany - It Ain't A Cruiser!

She does like to be ridden like a sport bike. But she isnt light on her feet. Very stable when you ride her like she's special. Even big girls wanna dance!
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillJustJerry
... When I shifted my feet and put the ball of my foot on the peg, and leaned forward into the tank more like a crotch rocket position (but not extreme) suddenly it started falling into corners smoothly, held a line tightly, and felt like a million bucks.

OMG - what a bike!
Dave Dragon gave me that very same advice last spring at STC. I had been riding the LT like it was a LazyBoy recliner. Getting more "interactive" with it has made things much more fun.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:24 pm

If you haven't already done it then your in for another supprize, put Ohlins on it! I did this at 19k and my shocks still felt like new (I ride only one up) but with the Ohlins the bike was a different animal. It tracks through corners and feels so planted you forget she is as big as she is.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:24 am

Another thing that made a nice notable change was servicing the Pre-Load dampner underneath the seat. Sure enough, mine had about a tablespoon of oil left, so I went to the local LT service guy and picked up a small amount of fork oil, and serviced the dampner. Now with the setting on one click above Single, it has made such a difference just in going down a simple straight road with high-lows in it.
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:57 am

I recently attended the Experienced Rider Course; with only the 9 exercises, I was even more amazed how this bike will handle. Cone weaves, quick stops, tight turns, pause-and-go, swerving, allllllll the way through the "peanut" at the end, this is one versatile - and stable - motorcycle. And, I might add, minimal peg dragging (unless, of course, you want to show off )!

Regards,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:11 am

I wish they made a LTP. I can dream can't I??? LOL...........

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:57 am

It ain't a cruiser. And after this weekend's adventure, I realize it ain't a sport bike either, no matter how much we want it to be or believe it capable of being. After this last final drive event and after riding the GT, I realize that I tend to "try" to ride the LT like a sport bike too frequently, esp. in twisties. It handles it well and is very forgiving, but it's not a sport bike. I realize I don't enjoy pushing the LT to try to get it to behave like a sport bike- it can be very taxing. It can be pushed to behave that way, of course. A sport bike or sport touring bike does not have to be pushed. It knows how to behave and does it effortlessly. What I like about the LT is the comfort, the stability, and the miles you can eat up effortlessly. And I like that the big pig will do so in a sporting fashion- even though she's a big girl, she tries not to show it. She acts "sporty." And I like that it's the one bike my wife wants to get on and ride all day.

I've personally decided to quit trying to push the LT to be a sports bike... as it isn't enjoyable for me to ride it that way. Now I won't ride it like a big fat pig either, but I ain't out to show everyone the capabilities of my bike. I know what she can do, and that's enough for me.
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:10 pm

In August of 2000, I traded my '99 R1100RT for a 2001 LT.
Approaching 91,000 miles on the LT.
It's a great touring bike,
though I hate touring.
Long straight highways are boring.

Just went to Tampa and back for a funeral.
1240 miles in 30 hours.
Wouldn't want to do that on a sport bike.
Especially going through five thunderstorms.

For me, what I love about the LT
is that it covers the full spectrum
from sport to touring better than my RT ever did.

It handles great at high speed in the twisties, with minimal effort
and is smooth and refined on the highway.
And it's effortless pulling my Bushtec trailer.
But, the twisties are where my LT prefers to be.
Unless I'm pressed for time,
I'll always take the back roads to get to/from my destination.

On my second set of Ohlins in the rear, first set in the front.
Big difference from stock shock.
High confidence in my Metzler ME 880's in any weather.

I replace systems (not just individual parts) before they fail
so have confidence in the safety and integrity of the system.
If it still fails, I did all that I could do.
I ride within my capabilities, and always leave a 20% safety factor.

But, I've learned that the LT is capable of much more than many give it credit for.
I keep looking for what's going to replace it.
Haven't found it yet.

We each ride for difference reasons.
Enjoy the ride.
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:14 pm

Cudos on the Ohlins! Rides like a Sport Bike!

It did before the Ohlins, but now, wooohoooo!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
It ain't a cruiser. And after this weekend's adventure, I realize it ain't a sport bike either, no matter how much we want it to be or believe it capable of being. After this last final drive event and after riding the GT, I realize that I tend to "try" to ride the LT like a sport bike too frequently, esp. in twisties. It handles it well and is very forgiving, but it's not a sport bike. I realize I don't enjoy pushing the LT to try to get it to behave like a sport bike- it can be very taxing. It can be pushed to behave that way, of course. A sport bike or sport touring bike does not have to be pushed. It knows how to behave and does it effortlessly. What I like about the LT is the comfort, the stability, and the miles you can eat up effortlessly. And I like that the big pig will do so in a sporting fashion- even though she's a big girl, she tries not to show it. She acts "sporty." And I like that it's the one bike my wife wants to get on and ride all day.

I've personally decided to quit trying to push the LT to be a sports bike... as it isn't enjoyable for me to ride it that way. Now I won't ride it like a big fat pig either, but I ain't out to show everyone the capabilities of my bike. I know what she can do, and that's enough for me.
Well put. Thanks

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in