On the way home from CCR 2008.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Post CCR08 Travels & Saviors

Approximately 64 miles outside of Vegas in the desert on the I15 Westbound...

After a week of fun at the CCR2008, which I had a great time and met new friends, I mustered up and manage through the wind storm and heavy rains of South Western Utah (approx 1/2 hour of hell) to which I might add, the LT was doing a Mighty Fine Job! in keeping me Upright, Dry (to a certain extent) and managing down the road far better than some of the drivers I was incountering. Then things changed...

The Experience... First was a very quick constant Thump Thump Thump...(what else at 70+ MPH Right?), felt like something hitting the inside of the drive shaft.

I quickly motioned to the car next to me I had to get over quickly, they acknowledge in short order, providing me passage to the shoulder. The bike was wobbling, but not terribly.

Along side the road and after assessing that it was'nt the final drive, upon closer investigation, lead to the rear tire (Bridgestone Batalax BT020) decided to seperating from the inside.

I contacted my Progressive Insurance Co. whom in turn led me to Country Wide Towing. The tire became the lessor of two evils at this point.

Knowone, and I mean knowone at CWT (Country Wide Towing), has any common sense What-so-Ever. I'll make in known now, I'm canceling my policy with Progressive and going with BMWMOA Insurance.

Keep in mind that during the initial call, I advise them I was on the 15 Fwy in the middle of the desert, 64 Miles outside of North Las Vegas. This was repeated numerous times throughout the 45 min call, On a cell phone.

In summary, and I am keeping this short....

Initially I'm working with a kid whom after a 1/2 hour of getting him to understand what the situation was, tells me there's a tire center in Vegas (Big'O Tire) that they can tow me to. I reminded him that I have a motorcycle, not a car. His response was Oh!

This lead to me asking for his supervisor, whom, must have been the kid next to him!

The (supervisor) wasn't any better. He wanted to tow me back 150 miles back into UT, the other oppisite direction.

Once I got his barrings straight (which included giving them both GPS Coordinates three times) he found a place in Vegas to tow me.
However, the place is likely to be closed and the bike would have to sit out until the shop opened.

Progressive doesn't offer any special towing services taylored to MC's. You either get towed to the nearest repair vacility, or, you can get towed to the place of your choice, which the first 15 miles is on them, then you pick up the dime from there if going further.

Things get better... While I was on the phone, one of the riders from the CCR (Larry & Lisa), who towed their bike up to the event, pulled over to see how I was doing. Shortly there after, several other riders on their LT's also pulled over to assist. (Side note: while were all there, the two other LT owners shared their horable experiences with CWT, only more reason to switch to someone else)

Life is Great! I told Country Wide thanks for there attempt to assist, but I wasn't about to leave a 20K motorcycle sitting out overnight at someplace they had no idea of the shops hours or services offered and took the offer from Larry to load my bike on the trailer and he would drive his bike to where I was staying in N.LV for the night, and his wife Lisa would drive the truck (towing my bike).

I'm Here!

Now comes the task of attempting to locate a MC Tire Repair vacitlity on a Sunday/Monday Weekend Holiday. NOT!!!!

I located Bridgestones MC Website: http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/
from there I located a local authroized repiar center. So I will call them on Tuesday to begin the task of repairs. Hopefully with some warranty coverage.

On a different note, I can't praise LT riders enough for doing what they do to help others. Larry and Lisa actually assisted another rider shortly before finding me along side the road as well. The other guy ran out of gas (wish I had that problem instead).

Last edited by STYLNLT; Aug 31st, 2008 at 5:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:15 pm

Re: On the way home from CCR 2008....

I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me headed out to CCR '05. Gotta love those Bridgestones! I limped the LT for 110 miles (@ 45mph) to the closest BMW shop that had a set of Metzelers.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

I was attempting to do the same thing, but the tire had gotten wider, causing the hit against the drive housing and I didn't want to take the chance I would damange the final drive in the process.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear this story.

I've got the AMA MOTOW plan, but havent had the need to use it yet. I hope if I ever do, they'll be a bit more useful!

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:52 pm

If you can wait until Tuesday, you can take it to BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas (they open at 9:00 am):

6675 South Tenaya Way
Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 658-2993 (Service)

GPS: N 36* 04.025' / W 115* 15.131

Larry Schumer
Salt Lake City, UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 K1200LT (Black/Yellow) BigBee
Unigo Trailer (Black/Yellow) Stinger
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:36 pm

Glad it turned out good for you.

I keep a half worn out (probably got another 1500 miles left in it) Metzler out in the shed for those occasions someone needs a tire on a weekend or holiday.

That offer stands for anyone should they ever need it. I'll even help them change it out. It won't be balanced but its round, Metzler, got thread on it and holds air.

B D R
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryschumer
If you can wait until Tuesday, you can take it to BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas (they open at 9:00 am):

6675 South Tenaya Way
Las Vegas, NV 89113
(702) 658-2993 (Service)

GPS: N 36* 04.025' / W 115* 15.131

Thanks Larry. But I tracked down this tire dealer through the Bridgestone website and want to attempt to pay as little as possible for the swap-out. BMW of LV wasn't listed as an ARC either.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:02 pm

well first off I am glad you are safe...

Sorry to hear you are stuck in vegas....

hope you get the free tire and on the road again soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #9 of 11 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

The Resolution....

Posting the final results of my tire failure and resolution for others:

CycleGear (702) 877-6269, 344 S Decatur Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89107
Great guys and they did have the lowest price (by $40+) in town, but, for my tire, it had to be ordered, to which will be here in one day.

The can only facilitate R&R of the Tire/Rim, so I'll need to pop the whole thing of the bike, no problem there.

Additionally, for $20 more, will included there warranty, and being there located all over the place, if the rear should go out again, the replacement will be free up to the first %25 treadware, then prorated thereafter.

I want to give mention about two others just in case...

1) MotorCycleTire Center. (702) 382-8824 (www.mtclv.com), whom would be able to order the same tire in one day also, and provide a complete R&R, but the price was higer by 50+35+tax.

Finally, theres a guy in town who has a mobile service called: MobileMonkeyRench 702-508-7052 (www.mobilemonkeywrench.com), who specializes in services for motorcycles, dirt bikes, and ATV(sport/utility) and comes to you. His quote was $50 to come to N.LV and do a complete swap of the new tire once I had it in hand.

So it looks like I'll be out of here by late tomorrow. And once again, Vegas still managed to take my money, even when just passing through
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 6:01 pm

I feel your pain! On the way home from BMWMOA National Rally in Gillete, Wyoming, had a rear tire failure, after unknown road hazard puncture, came to rest in Hudson, Wyoming.

"Where?" the AAA Emergency Road Service representative asked. I repeated it, "Hudson, Wyoming" at least three times. After a prolonged silence, her response was.... "Oh, My"

Two small words with a magnitude of meaning. Even though I have the All Vehicles, Everywhere plan, (uncludes RV's and Motorcycles) AAA was absolutley no help what-so-ever. Couldn't help arrange a tow, couldn't even suggest nearest motorcycle shop. Maybe Wyoming is way out in back of beyond, but it is in the continental US for heaven's sake!

So...maybe I'll be joining BMWMOA's Platinum Service too. At least they should probably be able to advise of nearby motorcycle shops.

Long story short, unloaded bike (R1150RT) heaved it up onto the center stand, used the handy-dandy BMW plug kit & CO2 bottles (wear gloves, those things get COLD, very fast when used) managed to get 25 lbs into the tire, loaded back up and limped to next larger town, Lander, Sunday afternoon, moteled it 'til Monday, when (Lander Marine & Motorcycle, oldest Kawasaki deaker in USA!) was open on a Monday and gave me a hand. They phoned around, and found a proper sized tire in Riverton, Wyoming, just 40 miles back where I came from. I fetched the tire using a borrowed bike, and Lander Marine mounted it for me. Cost me a days time and a bit of my own effort in getting the problem solved. Emergency service was a waste of time and money.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:29 pm

My trust in AAA was shattered when I found out who their rep was here where I live. The biggest crook in town...............no thanks AAA.......what a poser!............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in