Hideaway Antenna Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Hideaway Antenna Installation

Looking at past discussions concerning the Hideaway Antenna, I am unclear on a few points. How do you go about connecting the antenna to the radio? Is it a matter of pulling off the plastic that surrounds the radio, and then plugging in the new cable where the old one went? Or, is there a simpler method connecting the new cable to the old one at the rear of the bike?

Looking for switchable power, are there any circuits to especially avoid (something that would send a false message to the on-board computer, for example)? If I find it is necessary to plug into the back of the radio, is there any reason I wouldn’t take power from the radio’s power source?

Thanks for your guidance,

Carl Tyler
’05 K1200LT Graphite Grey
Near San Francisco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 3:41 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I pulled the left side upper panel and accessed the connection there. It is to the left of the cd/cassette player under the flat area of the radio stingray.

I found a switched fuse in the fuse 'boxes' and tapped into one of the wires. You could also use the rear seat heater wire at the connector (bike side).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Raffy. I'll follow your advice.

Carl Tyler

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
'03 Moto Guzzi v11 Rosso Corsa
'02 Harley Road King
'93 R100GSPD
'84 R100RT
'69 Triumph Bonneville

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:05 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #5 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:56 pm

I just did this over the holiday. I ripped the old antenna cable out and routed the hideaway cable back the same route. The radio connection is on the left side of the stingray. Like Raffy said you need to pull the top left fairing. My Autocom unit had an exposed power lead that I tapped into for the antenna power. I was also installing wiring for an Autoswitch, auxiliary lights and a compressor so it was just one more cable to route. It is possible to cut the antenna cable somewhere near the antenna and connectorizing with something like RG58s. It doesn't take too much more time to route the new cable all the way to the stingray however. It just a matter of snipping some cable ties (maybe as many as 10), pulling the old cable, routing the new cable and zip tieing everything back up. The antenna cable routing can be done in less than an hour then add some time to find power for the antenna and of course pulling/replacing the tupperware/rear seat/trunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 6:42 pm

One thing to think about...
I used to have my antenna hooked up to a constant power source and didn't like that. So last winter, I installed my aux fuse blocks and tied the antenna into a switchable circuit. The only problem now is, if you would want to listen to FM in the garage while you're working out there, you can't. Not without the ignition being turned ON. So...I think I'm going to put the antenna back on an unswitched power source, but install a switch somewhere so I can turn it ON when I want to listen to the radio...and turn it OFF when I'm not. I listen to my iPod 99% of the time anyway.

Some food for thought.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 7:43 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
There are different switched power sources available. Obviously with the bike ON you have power to the lights, seat heaters, etc. Many people use the rear seat heater as switched power.

But the radio can be turned on even with the bike OFF, so that's the power source you want for your powered antenna, iPod, etc. The only concern there is that you must turn the key all the way to LOCK to kill all power. I always use LOCK when away from the bike, so that's no problem. I picked up the primary radio power feed from the bike's fuse box. Just make sure you hook up downstream of the fuse, so that the stock radio fuse will still work correctly.

If you really wanted to do a clean install, you could find the secondary radio power feed up in the stingray, and use that to power your hideaway antenna. That way, the antenna would only be powered when the radio is turned on, whether the key is ON or OFF. But that would take a little more work, and you really should have a wiring diagram handy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Just reviewing the service manuel, it looks as though I need to remove the faring side panels before I can remove the radio cover. Is that right? That would be a little fearsome, as I have never opened the bike up before. First time for everything, I guess.

Carl Tyler

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
'03 Moto Guzzi v11 Rosso Corsa
'02 Harley Road King
'93 R100GSPD
'84 R100RT
'69 Triumph Bonneville
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 3:22 pm

You just need to remove the left side plastic pieces-parts that cover the tip-over bars, then the upper Tupperware...not the lower plastic. Also, no need to remove the radio stingray. You'll see the antenna connector at the rear left-side of the radio stingray, once the leftside upper Tupperware is removed.
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 4:21 pm

While everyone's talking about powered antennas I wonder if anyone has figured out the best place to mount one. I installed one awhile back and placed it in the rear of the bike under the trunk and just behind the area where the canister and alarm reside. I'm less than happy with the FM & weather band reception. Has anyone identified an optimum location for best reception?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #11 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:49 pm

Ground

I just ran accross another post about the need to run a ground wire to the antenna connector - seems to make it work... better?
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I just ran accross another post about the need to run a ground wire to the antenna connector - seems to make it work... better?
That makes some sense to me. My FM and Weather works fine, the AM is too noisy. I'm guessing it's picking up too much noise from the engine/alternator, or something, on the antenna wire. One day I may play around with it. It's just not a high priority right now. Right now I don't even listen to the radio.

Bill

'02 K1200LTC Pacific Blue

Yeah, I know, I need to get out more!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in