FINAL Drive problem? Advice.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation FINAL Drive problem? Advice..

We left NC to ride up through VA, W VA, MD, PA so I could check MD and PA off the list, and because... they were there. So got into W VA and noticed fluid on the rear rim. Crawled under and looked around. Brake lines fine. Called my favorite dealer, Greensboro, and after some phone troubleshooting, it appears I've got a rear main seal problem. Wiped it up and drove for 50 or so miles and it was dry. So decided out of all the options: 1. Try to get a tow from W VA, or 2. Get some gear lube, top it off, limp home, stop and check and top off until I get it to a mech I trust, I decided to do #2.

But that meant going farther out of my way to get to superslab so I could keep the bike upright and not use the right extreme side of the tire. Well, we made it to our hotel. We're in Clarksburg WVA, about 280 miles from where we need to get the bike. In the morn, I'll clean it up, check it, top it off with gear lube if needed and slowly crawl back to NC. Oh yeah, I bought some rubbing alcohol to wipe the tire off when stopped because there was no brake cleaner at the gas station.

So, any advice, besided the obvious... I'm crazy for riding it in this condition. I talked to Greensboro and we discussed the options. I'll be slow- so tomorrow if you see a K12 actually doing the speed limit or less, and avoiding cornering, it's probly me. Any useful and helpful thoughts/ ideas appreciated.

Oh yeah, on the up side. Brakes didn't squeal all day. We've finally eaten so I can add a bit. I was in some off-beaten little gas station getting ready to take W VA 50 to Clarksburg when I ran into some riders. I mentioned I was glad I was out of the main hills, and they set me straight. If I had taken that route, I would've definitely been ridin on the sidepatch. So I turned North to MD to get to 68 to 79 and back South- added 2 hours, but at least I kept the bike fairly upright the whole way. And there was leakage at the gas station. Fortunately the owner of the tiny gas station is a mechanic and had a huge garage attached to his store. He just rebuilt a Carmengia. He had gear lube.... When I got to the hotel, although there was leakage, ther's still quite a bt of fluid in the final drive, so it seems slow. Hopefully, it stays that way.

Well, tomorrow will be interesting. Six hours to Greensboro is what the devilbox says...

Last edited by NCrider; Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:31 am Thread Starter

Re: FINAL Drive problem? Advice..

If you're the prayin type- I'd appreciate your prayers today. Hittin the road shortly. There's a Waly-World right next door so I'm gonna go get brake CLEANER and spray the tire off before I roll.

I didn't mention mine is an 08 K1200LT, had 5600 miles when the seal failed.

Last edited by NCrider; Aug 31st, 2008 at 7:01 am.
post #3 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
If you're the prayin type- I'd appreciate your prayers today. Hittin the road shortly. There's a Waly-World right next door so I'm gonna go get brake lube and spray the tire off before I roll.

I didn't mention mine is an 08 K1200LT, had 5600 miles when the seal failed.

I am the Praying type and I will be praying for you big-time. You just make sure you keep lube in that final drive or it'll burn up quick. Listen for a loud roar...when that starts you don't have long left to get off the road before it fails. Ride extra safe.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:01 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is the earliest reported rear seal failure (if that is what it is). Chances are a bubble of oil made its way out of the vent (mine did that once). Just keep an eye on it after you clean it all well with the brake clean. You may get lucky with the numbers on your side. Also all the documented rear drive failures on 05 and up have been problems with the small tapered bearing and that typically does not impact the seal until the drive is noticeably loose. Good Luck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 1:57 pm

Hello NcRider

I once over filled my FD by spinning the tire backwards while filling and after running some winding roads it began to sling out the extra lube out around brake disc ,limped home slow ,leak had just about stopped by then.stopping often to check lube level and for bearing play - none .
Got home ,drained lube ,drain plug just grey fuzz no bearing shards , measured 11.5 oz. Refilled to proper level ,washed her down ,3 months and still no leak

Have you checked for bearing play by pulling and pushing on the wheel at 3 and 9 like you would a front tire on a old car ?
post #6 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 4:50 pm

I had a slow leak at the final drive seal that I finally got fixed under warranty.
If you have a slow leak you are good to go home. I had mine for a couple of months before I took the bike in. Then again, it was a slow leak.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 10 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

We made it home about 8pm'ish.

Pastor Jack, thanks for the prayers- I did have encouragement knowing that you were praying for a stranger on the road.

Please see my feedback about Carolina Euro- Greensboro. All I can say is I dropped off my bike and was handed the keys to a K1200GT as a loner to get me and the wife home! On a Sunday evening... they were waiting for me when I arrived.

It is a rear main seal failure. Had to top off fluid about every 100 miles. Stopped every 50 to wipe off the tire / rim and spray the rubber with brake cleaner. I'll tell you it's a [email protected]@ to NOT use the sides (right side at least) of your rubber, esp. in W. VA- definitely a skill most don't try to learn. All the riders who passed me with my hazards flashing must have thought I was scared to death of leaning the bike- that is hilarious! I would get up to speed with a straight away (rare) or left turn, then drop to a crawl on every right turn...

Well, even with the problem, I've got to say it was an awesome ride. Met some wonderful and/ or interesting people, rode into and out of and into and out of a beautiful W. VA sunset, got to see W. VA from a new perspective (it sure looks different from the highway, and not in a bad way... I usually avoid superslab... just don't care for it), learned a little about my stress response and even tried to invent some fixes on the road.

I'm not interested in speculating the whatfors and whys of rear drive failures. It happens, it happened (twice to me now), probably more than it should. Oh well, I chose the bike (even after a failure on my 2000), it didn't choose me. I'm sure that what I will always remember from this experience is the adventure of it all, and my wife who was right there with me with not one complaint (I would have put her in a rental car- you try to find a rental car in W. VA on Sunday). As someone said and I believe it's even in someone's sigtag, "It's nice to have a destination, but it's the journey that counts." I would add, "and how you respond to that journey."

I'm tired so I'll end it now. I'll just say that there are stories within the story. A person of faith (Christian) might find some interesting "concidences" lining up. There are some good little adventures that anyone might enjoy over a beer or two. One day I may even share how I tried to use fluorescent green duct tape (it was in my saddlebag) in an attempt to keep gear oil off the contact patch of the tire... it worked, for a bit.

Thanks for listening.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:09 am

Glad to hear you made it back safe. Looking forward to the stories within the story.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:55 am

Glad you made it back! Glad you got to ride a GT.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:51 am Thread Starter

That GT is a blast! I was thinking wife would say, "I hate it," at the first stop. We got off, she said, "That is a fun bike." Unfortunately the area behind her knees was hurting from the long day on the K12, and she said she did not like the leg position, or lack thereof. I told her I'd call the dealer and tell him to keep the K12 and we'd keep the GT- she did not agree. I still like the K12. Maybe one day I can add a GT to the stable, or some other type of sport tourer.

I'll probably have it for at least the week!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in