Changing Side Bag Skin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:40 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Changing Side Bag Skin

Well almost a year ago when I was new to LT/BMW with in 2 weeks I dropped it on a right hand incline by clamping the front brake. It skidded down a slight incline taking the right mirror complete, right front lower wing plastic, right rear Chrome, and put some scratches in the bag skin. Well I will tell you that was a VERY expensive drop lesson and has been learned well!

So all was on except the bag skin since when I took the buffer to it I could live with it. I also wanted to see if I was prone to this condition.

So pretty convinced I may drop it, but never in a right stop incline, I decided to proceed.

Was looking it over and forgot about the wire for the locking mechanism. I see it is blobbed with some type of sealant/glue. Can this be loosened with a heat gun? Do I need a new wire? Do the blobs of sealant/glue come with it? If not, or if I can get the old one out, will appropriate hot glue dabs work?

Thanks for any information on this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Aug 30th, 2008 at 9:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:12 pm

Re: Changing Side Bag Skin

It's likley to be a weather proof sealant, similar to what they use when installing windshields. A rubber like compound, you could just pull it away (for what-ever your needs are), then clean the surface with alittle windex before reapplication.

Personally I keep a small can of Naptha handy because it removes grime and dirt and excess glues from surfaces and is mineral based so it doesn't eat into the plastic like Acetone or Lacquer based products do.

Whats the need for removing the wire... Relocate, work on the side case perhaps?
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:15 pm

Just blobs of silicon....not very "German" like Just pull the wire loose and re-blob on the replacement

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Guys!

Just for information it appears to be a urethane/butyl type material. I just pried up on it at each location and it came loose. It reminds me of urethane like we used to back bed windshields in cars with.

The reason is you need to get it loose, and then off, to install the side bag skin.

You could cut it at the plug under the gray locking mechanism, but then you have to fish it the length of that would be a pain. I opted to cut it about a third of the way from the top in the bag indentation where it is glued in. I soldered each wire, electric taped each, and then shrink wrapped it. I then hot glued it a dab to get a quick set, and then black RTV over it. I also ran a bead on the metal base plate and each top backing plate on the hinge install. I figured it would be a vibration isolator and may give a bit of support.

I don't know what is charged at the dealers but it is some bit of work.

The Chrome strip is a pain to get off and then clean but it is doable.

So the six rivets and the case skin was 400.00 to the door.

I am OK now that all my "fingerprints" are off the bike.

As I said it was an expensive drop. Even if I waited almost a year to fix.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:19 pm

LAF;

Do you have pictures of the old skin? I'd like to see them, wonder if the skin is repairable.
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Sure I can snap a pic for you.

There was not any breakage or any damage to it other then a few scratches. It could be wet sanded and have at it with new paint. It is the right bag skin. I replaced it because I am EXTREMELY fussy and to have it painted it had to come off, then wait on it, and I figured it was just as easy to replace in one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLNLT
LAF;

Do you have pictures of the old skin? I'd like to see them, wonder if the skin is repairable.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Sep 1st, 2008 at 6:14 pm.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 3:59 am

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

A friend of mine owns a auto body shop that I spend part time assisting him when he needs the help, I've gotten pretty good on prepping and color matching with his Dupont Master Tint machine.

Your a bit far away, but if your willing to foot the shipping to and from, I'm sure I can get it back to looking new for you for around $50.

We just completed a tint match on all four wings to the tint of my new Cee Baily windshield (will post pics in another thread), and everyone who noticed at the CCR really like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in