Advise on purchase of 1999 K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Question Advise on purchase of 1999 K1200LT

Hello
I'm considering a trade of my Honda Valkyrie for a 1999 K1200 LT Icon with 63K miles. Records indicate that it has been well maintained and that the final drive was rebuilt at 54K miles. Any advise prior to the deal? Or after the deal? Or to not make the deal?
Thanks,
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Re: Advise on purchase of 1999 K1200LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorD
Hello
I'm considering a trade of my Honda Valkyrie for a 1999 K1200 LT Icon with 63K miles. Records indicate that it has been well maintained and that the final drive was rebuilt at 54K miles. Any advise prior to the deal? Or after the deal? Or to not make the deal?
Thanks,
Daryl
My 99 has about 44k on it and it runs fine. I bought it new and have done all my own service. No problems and regular care have kept it humming. The older LT's have the non servo assisted brakes making them very easy to service when fluid change is needed. It may not have the extra h.p. of the newer LT's but it still has plenty and the complaint of slow speed manuevering is more a matter of familiarity and practice. 63k on an LT is about mid life and if the FD has been rebuilt it should last at least another 50k or more. Before sealing the deal look under the bike where the clutch assembly meets the engine. If there is an excess of fluid on the underside you may have a bad seal which could mean a pending failing clutch. If it looks good I'd go ahead. And one other little thing, check the fluid level in the FD and tranny before making the trade. I didn't when I picked up my used RS and when I got home found the last service mechanic had failed to refill the FD. That was 600 miles ago at the time. Long story here.....

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?

Last edited by retiredjj; Aug 30th, 2008 at 3:34 pm.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 5:05 pm

I have a '99 that I bought back in February.

Great bike, but a bit high maintenance. I think the return is worth it.

Can you buy the LT & keep the Honda? What a sweet engine that bike has!

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 7:31 pm

M 99 has over 77k on her, and she runs great... Ive had to replace the top case latch once... no final drive issues... fluids alway look good in there and in the tranny.. I do need new shocks... and the valve are most likely need looked at... I loved every mile.

Is it a Valkyrie Interstate?... I personally would think twice... But thats just me liking that bike... unless u could have both

Last edited by doios; Aug 30th, 2008 at 7:47 pm.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Daryl,

Welcome to the board.

I bought a 99 in 04 with 15K. I did not know the history of the motorcycle and bought it from a dealer. I was looking for two things when I went hunting for new, for me, LT and that was GPS and intercom system, which this 99 had.

It now has 54K miles on it. It took me to Alaska and back last year for 12K miles. I love this motorcycle. The only negative is when I had to get a new shaft a couple of years ago. Not FD, but a shaft. So $hit happens in my book. If the price is right for you, you know the history, I say go for it.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doios
M 99 has over 77k on her, and she runs great... Ive had to replace the top case latch once... no final drive issues... fluids alway look good in there and in the tranny.. I do need new shocks... and the valve are most likely need looked at... I loved every mile.

Is it a Valkyrie Interstate?... I personally would think twice... But thats just me liking that bike... unless u could have both

Have to agree,, It would be real hard to let a Valkyrie Interstate go if its in good shape....Keep it and look for an LT............Pete
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 10:23 pm

So far, no one knows why the FD tears itself up. The most agreed upon conjecture is that the specs for the install are very tight--exceeding tolerances during manufacture may be causing the failures. If that is true, you might wonder if the place that rebuilt the final drive has the know-how and equipment to install the FD better than BMW?

On a 99, one must make sure someone added the crash pan for the trany, it didn't come with it, the defective computer chip for the engine was replaced, the defective starter relay was replaced, and neither of the pins in the trunk latch show signs of being worn (like a hack saw being taken to the left side one). The speedo, by design always reads about 10% to high--it can be modded to be accurate. BMW came out with different cables to reduce the force needed to twist the throttle. The 99 didn't come with a wiring harness for heated seats unless the heated seats came on the bike from the factory.

Normal things to look for are oil leaks between the engine and trany (the crash pan will have oil and dirt accumulation). If the front and rear speakers still work (radio problems pop once in a while). If the shocks haven't been replaced recently, you will have to do that. Plan on replacing the low beam with an aftermarket HID light.

Brake squeal, common, can be fixed by replacing the pads with after market ones.

Its very easy to change the brake fluid in the LTs without the front and rear brakes linked.

Count on the LT being a LOT cooler to ride in HOT WX. I ride my 00 year round here; adjust the windshield a lot during the summer and when it rains; use the heated grips and seat when cold sets in , below 70F.

One thing that is great, that you won't notice at first, is how nice it is to go thru a corner and not have the wheel base change a lot is you hit a small bump. And, you will start dragging foot pegs and body parts well before you've leaned her over too far. Be careful when coming to a full stop! The front wheel must be straight.

Its real easy to creep way past the speed limit at any speed--she's just so smooth.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

Present bike is not the Interstate, its a "Cruiser" model configured more like a "Tourer." I love my Valkyrie, but I'm trying to find a way to get my wife more interested in riding... Figured more comfort might do it. I'd love to have both, but my current fun budget won't allow it.
Daryl
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 2:38 am

My wife gave a big thumbs up for the adjustable windshield, comfortable seat, rear volume control (I'd kill the front speaker and she'd listen to country music).
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:22 am

Quote:
Present bike is not the Interstate, its a "Cruiser" model configured more like a "Tourer." I love my Valkyrie, but I'm trying to find a way to get my wife more interested in riding... Figured more comfort might do it. I'd love to have both, but my current fun budget won't allow it.
Daryl
She will love the confort of the LT
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:35 am

Thumbs up Re: Advise on purchase of 1999 K1200LT

I got my 99, 2 years ago all I have done is change the oil (all the oils) every 3000.. I had a Voyager 1200 Kawasaki, wish i could have kept both. mama said only one. the voyager was good for long trips with stops at 250-300 miles. The bmw we can go all day she is good for 450-500 no problems usually we end up stoping to shop. +1 on keeping the front wheel straight when stoping! just get it and have FUN....
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:11 am

I forgot to add I just replaced the shocks. Got some Ohlins and very pleased with them, like a new motorcycle.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:43 am

Ah yes; the wife.....the wife.....the horror.

My first LT was a 99 and the wife was hooked. That back seat is addictive on the LT.
I had to beg and plead to be allowed to sell it. How things change! Now I have an '03; starting to itch for a newer one. Same thing: the wife is not supportive - unless I buy first and only then sell this one. Sure,I got 15k kicking around. Yeah.
Be prepared - the wife will love it and you'll be committed. Final Drive? Nyah - Final Word is what matters.
No issues with the 99 in the one year I rode it.
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I forgot to add I just replaced the shocks. Got some Ohlins and very pleased with them, like a new motorcycle.

Did you put 'em on yourself or have the dealer do it? Would you mind sharing how much to change em? I am looking for a front Ohlins as my 00 LT front has over 104,000 miles on it and I am looking forward to it becoming a "new machine" again...
By the way, bought my 00 LT used with almost 100,000 on the clock: I knew the rider, it's been dealer serviced, and I've had no problems. Love the ride.

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretaryrick
Did you put 'em on yourself or have the dealer do it? Would you mind sharing how much to change em? I am looking for a front Ohlins as my 00 LT front has over 104,000 miles on it and I am looking forward to it becoming a "new machine" again...
By the way, bought my 00 LT used with almost 100,000 on the clock: I knew the rider, it's been dealer serviced, and I've had no problems. Love the ride.
I bought them from the dealer and they put them on. I forked out about $2400 for the front, steering damper and labor. I am not wrench head so paying for good work is no problem for me.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Daryl
Sorry to say but a new bike,LT or wing or whatever probably won't change your wife's outlook on riding... She will be like allot of our wife's are... Every once in a while she may ride but rather just watch you ride off and enjoy your ride....So if you like your valkyrie keep it and enjoy it............Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in