Power center stand pros & cons - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Power center stand pros & cons

If all else was pretty equal, would you choose/recommend an LT with or without the powered center stand?

I'm putting the RT up for sale, and looking for an LT, '03 to '06. How important is the powered center stand to have or not have?

Thanks for feedback

Allred
Old, Slow but not likely to quit riding right away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Garage
Re: Power center stand pros & cons

I have no power center stand on my '02.

I don't need one, as I am fortunate in being able to hoist it up OK by myself.

I don't think that I would want one.
post #3 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:33 pm

I've owned both the RT and the LT. At 853 pounds, the center stand is a requirement to me.

Another thing is for sure; when I pull into a gas station and touch that button, and I am lifted into a standing position, people mutter "cool".

Yesterday a guy, after witnessing the stand in action, asked about my station-keeping thrusters.

DJF

post #4 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:34 pm

Allred,
I have '06lt with powerstand. I don't know what I'd do without it especially 2-up. Some on this site have had trouble with the stands, but they're rebuildible and simple??? . . . to top of fluid. I haven't had any trouble with anything.

Dan
post #5 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:53 pm

I do not have the power stand and I never had any problem to lift the bike on its central stand. Actually I find it easier to put the LT on the central stand than my Honda Magna which is much less heavy. For me not having the power central stand is one less concern I have about something that may stop working.
post #6 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:01 pm

It is a great feature in my opinion. Wouldn't get an LT without it.
It's cool too, and as you know, image is everything!
post #7 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:05 pm

I've had few motorcycles with centerstands that were easy to use. My '06 has a powered centerstand and I will not buy another LT without one. No ifs ands or buts about it. Both myself and my passenger want the centerstand up when getting off the motorcycle. They often prefer it on the stand getting on as well. Stability is a wonderful thing.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #8 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Very nice but not worth scraping over speed bumps and reduced cornering clearance.

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)
post #9 of 39 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Thumbs up Re: Power center stand pros & cons

I had an 03 without and now have 05 with. There is no compairison. As has been mentioned, being able to lift two up is great. I think the most outstanding feature is stradling the bike as it comes up. You get a much better sense of the job that the center stand is doing under different circumstances. You can feel the grade, the angle, and the security of the surface beneath you. There have been times when I didn't like the feel and either used the side stand or moved the bike. My opinion is that you would love it.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll
post #10 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:37 am

I love the power center stand on the LT. Its a hit at the gas station as mentioned above, saves lifting the 800 lbs by hand (and foot).

On the dark side, its a real scraper for traffic bumps in parking lots, and lowers the ground clearance to 3.5 inches. The low ground clearance plus the interlock which prevents using the centerstand wile the sidestand is deployed make it imossible to use the legal speeding Park-n-move which I have heard can be used on K1200LT's with the manual centerstand.

I have been meaning to try cutting off the bolts and welding the screws of the caster wheels to see if I can get it to fit, but its still pretty tight there. Park-n-Move works fine with GW and most other BMWs, just not the power cenerstand equipped LT's.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #11 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:30 am

Before I added after market Shocks & Springs, an electric stand would have been VERY welcome.
But now that bike sags less (Sits taller) have no need or desire for it.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #12 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 3:04 am

I will take bets that the new GW will have one.
post #13 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:21 am

Had the 00 without. Have an 08 with. Never had/ have problems hoisting it. Just like the power stand. And I never activate it with passenger on! I drop the sidestand- make her get off, then put up the centerstand while I am standing up, not sitting on the seat. Just me, why put the additional stress on the motor.
post #14 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 9:58 am

I would be willing to bet none of the above responders have floorboards. I have them, love them, and wouldn't consider riding the LT without them. That said, the power stand is a must. To use the side stand, requires a LOT of dexterity, and focus.

Finally, the power stand make the bike much more accessible, if, like me, your knees are showing signs of wear...
post #15 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:15 am

Hi Bob,

I had an '03 without power stand and now have an '07 with the power stand.
I use the center stand every time I park the bike unless the terrain prohibits doing so.

I originally thought the power stand idea was just excessive flash developed by BMW which didn't really provide any value. Once one gets used to the technique involved with getting the LT on the centerstand it is not such a big deal. So why would anyone think this power stand with no means of manual deployment is a good idea. In a word for me it is "Wife". She no longer has to get off the bike every time I decide to stop for something. She no longer has to sit leaned over on the sidestand when she decides not to get off the bike when I stop for something ( and whine about it ). All we do is use the button and the LT lifts us both up to a stable platform and she stays put if she want to and I go about my business (Stephanie understands that not rocking the bike off the stand is her priority at this point).

Pros of the power stand - ease of use, use on slope angle which previously caused more strain to do manually, passenger can stay on bike comfortably (with proper instruction) when you are off, and of course the Cool factor.

Cons of the power stand - no means of manual deployment available, added cost of bike, more potential components to develop problems and repair which can add to the expense of owning the bike after warranty expires.

If it had been an option when I got the '07 I probably would not have spent the money for it. Now that I have it I am glad it wasn't an option. I love it.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #16 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
I would be willing to bet none of the above responders have floorboards. I have them, love them, and wouldn't consider riding the LT without them. That said, the power stand is a must. To use the side stand, requires a LOT of dexterity, and focus.

Finally, the power stand make the bike much more accessible, if, like me, your knees are showing signs of wear...
Hi Bill,

Not sure what you are pointing to with floorboards and power stand. I am actually thinking of adding Darius boards soon. Is there a problem with the hydraulic stand and floorboards?

Thanks
Scott

Scott

post #17 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Well , my '02 does not have a power center stand . But then , I only use my center stand once a year or so . I use it when I am changing the rear tire . It isn't the easiest thing to get it up on , but with the 300 pound wart on the side , it is still doable ...Also , I never use the side stand (;-»)

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #18 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
I will take bets that the new GW will have one.
I'm not so sure I'd make that bet. Remember, the GW still doesn't have a power windshield.

As for my opinion...
I had an '02 LT, and not once did I wish that it had a powered-centerstand. And I use the centerstand every time I park. But, thank heavens, I don't "need" a powered-centerstand. Some folks do need it, and I'm glad that they are being accommodated. I look at a powered-centerstand and just another point-of-failure. If BMW had engineered it so you could disable the stand and use it manually (in case of an emergency), I'd be a lot more for it.
post #19 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:36 am

Thumbs down Re: Power center stand pros & cons

Con: Prior to selling my last LT. (2005) I was on my third power center stand in a little over 2 years. Used centerstand daily. Great idea but the item itself is not built for long term durability. At $995 dollar replacement price, not including labor if dealer installs, you would think it would last longer. My first LT (2003) had manual center stand and never had problem using it.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm
post #20 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
Hi Bill,

Not sure what you are pointing to with floorboards and power stand. I am actually thinking of adding Darius boards soon. Is there a problem with the hydraulic stand and floorboards?

Thanks
Scott
Scott,

Local wisdom ... on our local VERY twisty roads you will be dragging floor boards far too easy.

One riding buddy put them on his 06 LT and cannot even remotely ride at a modestly swift pace without major dragging.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #21 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Will also take bets that the new GW will have a power windshield !.
post #22 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehly
...You get a much better sense of the job that the center stand is doing under different circumstances. You can feel the grade, the angle, and the security of the surface beneath you. There have been times when I didn't like the feel and either used the side stand or moved the bike. My opinion is that you would love it.
I absolutely agree!!!

Jim Whitsitt KC5KM
BMWMOA# 144388
Garland, TX
'06 K1200LT
Magnesium black metallic
'04 Bushtec Roadstar
"Hukt on Fonix rilly werkt fer mee."
post #23 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 2:43 pm

On my 3rd LT had a flat on the 02 no way I could put it up on center stand
had to roll forward look for nail again and again and again finally found nail
plugged tire on my way out of curosity removed valve core from rear tire
on my 05 ( in the garage ) power stand picked the bike up NO problem

Like it you bet
post #24 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor

Sorry, but I just don't see it....side stand hard to use?? I have a power center stand and have only used it once, when I put the bike up last winter. I use side stand all the time, no problems. I have tried the center stand a couple of times in my driveway and it felt like it was going to push it off sideways, perhaps I wasn't on a perfectly level spot, but it looked fine, certainly as good as you would find on the road. I also have bed knees, ankles, short legs and aging muscles, but still prefer the sidestand...just personal preference and what I am used to I guess. On the other hand, it is nice to have that power stand when and if I want it.

post #25 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:21 pm

I've got an 02, live in, as Dave says, Flatorida, so my opinion is one sided - Personally, I hardly ever use the center stand except for maintenance. I weigh 150 and when I need to use the center stand, it is not a problem. There is a technique to it though.

Knowing what I know (one sided) and if I had the choice, I'd order it without the power assist. Just something to get in the way, break and add weight.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #26 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Scott,

Local wisdom ... on our local VERY twisty roads you will be dragging floor boards far too easy.

One riding buddy put them on his 06 LT and cannot even remotely ride at a modestly swift pace without major dragging.
Thanks for the heads up. I commute on 49 to Ione daily. Some of those slow tight twisties nail the centerstand easily.

Scott

post #27 of 39 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Cool Re: Power center stand pros & cons

If you are likely to buy high-end shocks (Wilbers, Ohlins) you won't need the PCS. Wilbers Made a HUGE difference on my '00.
post #28 of 39 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:20 pm

I use my power center stand every day in my garage. I park in a single garage stall with steeply sloping driveway with cars parked on it that I don't want to try backing down every day. I have a "Turn-A-Bike" turntable in the center of the garage floor. I drive in and stop the bike over it. Push the button on the PCS and up she goes. Dismount and put a little pressure on the back end to lift the front wheel and walk the bike around facing out.

Way easier than walking back and forth to turn it around in the garage.

Its also great fun to pull in with a group of HDs and push the button.

Bruce Buchner

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #29 of 39 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the replies. Power center stand seems to sum up about even pro or con. Seems like a "nice to have, but not essential" for my intended use.

So....what ever the best bike for the price I find, happens to be, powered or non-powered, I suppose I can live with it.

I'm leaning a bit toward a pre-'05 model, not for the lack of a power stand, but for the easier to read instruments! Digital displays are hard for me to read in sunlight (especially with dark glasses on) and we get a lot of that out here in the desert west!
post #30 of 39 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
If all else was pretty equal, would you choose/recommend an LT with or without the powered center stand?

I'm putting the RT up for sale, and looking for an LT, '03 to '06. How important is the powered center stand to have or not have?

Thanks for feedback

Allred
Old, Slow but not likely to quit riding right away!
I rode a Kaw Voyager XII for 17 years and it had a manual center stand, but it was a two-stage design that worked really well once you got the hang of it. Once you set the first stage the second stage, which actually lifted the bike, had a long throw and lots of leverage so it was easy to get the bike on the stand. I figured the LT electric stand was just anothe gimic, but my 07 only came that way so it wasn't a choice.

After a year on the LT, I really appreciate the electric stand and use it all the time. And it is a great attention getter at gas stations! I find I use the stand and the electrically adjustable windshield a lot. The only thing I seldom use is the reverse. I've used it only 2-3 times and can't even remember now the last time I used it. Probably nice to have in the right circumstance (kind of like 4WD on my truck), but not something I use very often.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #31 of 39 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:37 am

Bob,

Power steering, air conditioning, ABS, linked brakes and a multitude of other innovations that now come as standard on vehicles are not "essential" but definitely make life and driving more enjoyable.

I think the same applies to the power centre stand.

Simon
post #32 of 39 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
Thanks to all for the replies. Power center stand seems to sum up about even pro or con. Seems like a "nice to have, but not essential" for my intended use.

So....what ever the best bike for the price I find, happens to be, powered or non-powered, I suppose I can live with it.

I'm leaning a bit toward a pre-'05 model, not for the lack of a power stand, but for the easier to read instruments! Digital displays are hard for me to read in sunlight (especially with dark glasses on) and we get a lot of that out here in the desert west!
Hey Bob,

in your original post you only concentrated on the one little difference (power centerstand) that the old model and post ´05 model have.

But I hope you understand that with newer model bike you get also some other improvements like more powerful engine, somewhat improved lights, improved electricals, different gear ratios, possible power lock system, improved slow speed handling, new dash, new (but not necessarily improved) saddle etc.

Before making up your mind you should make another poll and ask forum's opinions on the overall differences between the old vs. facelift models.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #33 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:46 am

Mongo;

The floorboards are on pivots, and have never been a problem for me. The side stand "post" resides RIGHT BEHIND the tailing edge of the boards, to deploy, you must raise the left board, while pushing down on the stand-post with your heel.

Generally, the only time I use the side stand is at the gas station, and hasn't been a real issue. However, if you had to use it in a hurry - forget it.

After riding my LT with boards, I'd never ride one without one - and in two years of riding it on the back roads of the West (US & Canada), rarely on interstates, I have yet to scrape the boards. But, then again, I think lane splitting, or riding 1,000 miles a day is stupid too.... my $0.02
post #34 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:44 am

We love our center stand and use it constantly when parking it in the garage. The wife thinks I should use it every time we stop, but it's kinda show off-y to me.....lol. It does have the WOW factor whenever someone see's it lift. I think it's a great feature on a great bike!

Morry aka "MO"

Des Moines, IA
2008 Biarritz Blue LT
post #35 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Had the 00 without. Have an 08 with. Never had/ have problems hoisting it. Just like the power stand. And I never activate it with passenger on! I drop the sidestand- make her get off, then put up the centerstand while I am standing up, not sitting on the seat. Just me, why put the additional stress on the motor.
Exactly as I do and I would not be without it! Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!!!

2007 K1200LT BLACK
post #36 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:48 pm

Two good points mentioned here, 1) No way to use the electric stand manually (correct me if I'm getting this wrong), and 2) No method of deployment. Both very important I feel.

I have a 00, no electric back then, but, because I do use my manual about 1/2 the time and it does come in handy when servicing or even washing the bike, having an electic would be nice.

The only problem I've had with the manual is when I first puchased the bike (used) in 5/05, I was attempting to lift her up on the CS, and for some reason, thinking after 8 some years of not riding consistantly, I was weak at performing this feat.

Upon having a head to toe service perfomed on the bike, shortly before the 05CCR (was still new to the bike), it was found that the cross-member on the CS was cracked with little to no remaining attached metal.

What I was experiencing is as I pulled her up, it would feel like she wanted to go over in the oppisite direction. In actuallity, the two legs were twisting (like if you were to walk to fingers upright on the table) and sure enough, could have very well gone over if things were posistion incorrectly.

Since I don't see myself getting a newer LT anytime soon, I plan on working on an adaptive electric center stand that works in both directions. The concept can be done using the jack-screw method, its just taking the time to sit down and design it so it fits in snug and uses no more ground clearance then the current manual one. If possible, less.
post #37 of 39 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:09 pm

My LT is from 03 and in my garage I have no space to put the center stand correctly, so when I'm 2 or 3 days without using, the bike smokes a lot inside the garage.
If I have hydraulic stand it would be better.
Improvements are always better for us.

Fernando Fernandes (Portugal)
K1200LT

post #38 of 39 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:38 am Thread Starter

... I plan on working on an adaptive electric center stand that works in both directions. The concept can be done using the jack-screw method, its just taking the time to sit down and design it so it fits in snug and uses no more ground clearance then the current manual one. If possible, less.[/QUOTE]

Wow! wouldn't that be something. Let me know if you get a workable design or plan

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

post #39 of 39 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:24 pm

I have and I love it. This is one of the most frequently used features (except the power windshield that I use even more) and the one that's implemented in an awesome way. Just because of that, I hardly ever use the side stand.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in