BMW and their contribution to the world of motorbike suspension - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

BMW and their contribution to the world of motorbike suspension

Good day folks

I found this article on an other website and think some of you might be interested in a good read too.

It's about suspension and very well written. I paste in a quick takeout from the page and leave a link underneath it, so you can get there yourself if that's what you want.

Enjoy
Cheers
Pat

BMW and their contribution to the world of motorbike suspension.

Bayerische Motoren Werke: those teutonic Germans and their incessant need to be at the pinnacle of engineering excellence. BMW are responsible for a lot of developments in motorbike suspension - not just the quirky ones. The first hydraulically dampened telescopic fork on a production motorcycle (1937), the longitudinal swinging arm ('50s and '60s), and the long-stroke high-comfort telescopic fork (1970). Because of this, I've given them an entire section to try to explain some of their innovations for which we should all be thankful.
Well perhaps not all, but those riders who have chosen BMW as their steed of choice will know that their bikes have what could best be described as some pretty funky and unconventional suspension systems. BMW, it seems, are never quite happy with the status quo. Why use an existing design when it could be bettered? Why settle for DVD when you can have Blu-Ray? Just because a particular type of suspension system is favoured by the Japanese, and sold on hundreds of thousands of motorbikes every year doesn't necessarily mean that its the best option. At least not in the eyes of the Germans.
BMW have long been known for their ability to cast scorn the accepted way of things, and pursue other, better methods of achieving the same result. Whether their suspension systems for their bikes actually are better or not I suppose is open to debate. Having ridden and owned a BMW with telelever suspension, I can't understand why its not used on all bikes. Conversely, bullet bike riders will look at a BMW and see nothing but excess weight. You can be certain of one thing with BMW suspension systems: they're different. Very different. So lets start at the back and work forwards.

And here's the link, the article is in the middle of the page.
http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_bikes.html

99' K12LT champagne
80' XJ 650 red
If you don't respect yourself who else will?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 2:01 pm

Pat,
Thanks, very interesting.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:01 am

That explains everything

Well written and very interesting.
When I got the LT I was telling anyone that listened that one of the most uncanny sensations was that the bike didn't dive when braking.
Thanks for posting this.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 4th, 2006, 1:40 am

As impressed as I (all of us?) am with the LT's suspension, I am even more interested to see if their new suspension grows in popularity and spreads to other makes . . . or even to the racetrack. The new Hossack-type suspension used on the new K1200S and K1200R is even more amazing than our LT's. I have to believe that the "new & improved" next version of the LT will be sporting their new masterpiece. Just another reason you'll find me at the checkout counter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in