engine hesitation after 24k maintenance service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

engine hesitation after 24k maintenance service

I had my bike serviced last week at BMW Raleigh for the 24k maintenance and since then I had the infamous throttle hesitation again. Some time ago I got the air temp sensor disconnected and it cured the low RPM engine hesitation. My bike ran very smooth after that. Now the hesitation is back again. I think BMW must have reconnected the air temp sensor although I told them no to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Re: engine hesitation after 24k maintenance service

Since the 24K is an air-filter replacement service, I'd tend to guess you're right on this one.

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:38 pm

Yup, I would wager that the computer hook up on the MoDiTec diagnostic machine would not give a Green light ( All's good ) with it disconnected.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:44 pm Thread Starter

Called the BMW place this afternoon. They told me to bring it tomorrow to read the code and checked if they get the error code for a missing air sensor. I am pretty sure they will get nothing as the bike behavior is exactly the same as before the air sensor was disconnected on my request by the same dealer back some time ago. They said that if they find out that the air sensor is connected I will have to get an appointment to get it unplugged as they need to remove the fairing for that I may do this thing myself this week-end after all but I hate to have to take the fairing out just because they did not listen to me in the first place. As anybody unplugged the air sensor without taking the fairing out? I was thinking about passing from under the front fairing. Does anybody has a diagram or a pic of this air sensor and its exact location? I know it is on the left side above the radiator but if I attempt to disconnected it just by feeling it without removing the left fairing I better know exactly where it is supposed to be. I have the LT repair manual but I cannot find a diagram showing this air temp sensor.
Thanks
Alain
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:51 pm

As viewed from under the front cowl & above tire, it will be on bikes left, but your right looking from the front.
Above and behind the radiator cap will be the safety catch equiped air box sensor plug. A real PITA to get at from that position unless you have the hands of a 6 year old
Don't quite remember the style of safety the plug used, but do remember it to be NON typical. You kind of need to see it to figure out how it releases ?

Removing the upper left body panel would be a LOT easier IMO.

Have fun

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks motorhead I actually just found a pic of the temp sensor on page 13.5 of the LT repair manual so with your info and this pic I will try to access the sensor from under the front fairing. If I cannot then I will remove the left fairing. If I do have to remove the left fairing I may as well install a on/off switch for this temp sensor so as to put it back on during the winter.
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:55 am

That is EXACTLY what I did with mine, spliced into one wire going threw an On/Off switch

Winter On .... Summer off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB On-off.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	19284  

Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 9:42 am Thread Starter

This morning I tried passing from under the front fairing and I could reach the sensor and wire. I tried pulling on the wire but as you say they must be some kind of safety thing on this plug as it did not come loose. I did not want to pull too hard not too tear the wiring out. Too bad as I am not at home today and tomorrow and do not have the time and space to take the fairing out.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Well, I finally decided to take the left fairing out, install a switch to be able to turn on and off the air sensor and put everything back together. All together it took me 1h30. Not too bad considering that this is the first I take the fairing out on my LT since I got it 2 months ago. I took it for a short ride with the switch on first and then off. Sure enough no more hesitation with the switch turns off. It makes such a big difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in