major breakdown on the way to rally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:29 am Thread Starter

major breakdown on the way to rally

I suppose I should have entered this in the contest for the worse breakdown, but, well, I thought it might be just a little over the top and kind of scary for newer riders.

Here’s what happened, on the way up to the Rally I noticed that my left directional light was flashing too quickly. Darn it to heck, I thought, that must mean a bulb is out.

Immediately I began to calculate how I would attack the problem. Did I have the proper tools to handle this myself? Where could I find a replacement bulb on a busy Friday? Would the delay add hours to my trip?

What if we’re stranded? I could feel small to medium sized beads of sweat forming on my brow as I contemplated these questions and pressed on warily despite the now compromised condition of my bike.

Each time I pressed the left directional button on my LT the same thing occurred, that devilish rapid blinking. Clearly this was not just an anomaly that would clear itself up because I just went over a railroad track, as I had hoped. No. I had to admit it.

The problem was real and like it or not I was going to have to deal with it, alone, on the road, in broad daylight with just my own wits and the few tools I carry with me. The harsh truth of the matter was staring me in the eyes and demanding action. Darn it to heck, I thought again, darn it to heck!

Fortunately, when we got to downtown Minneapolis I lucked out and located an open gas station even though it was close to noon time on a busy Friday. How lucky can a guy get?

Sometimes the gods ARE on your side. Whew, I thought, maybe, just maybe, they’ll have an 1157 replacement bulb. I pulled into the station and filled the LT with gas, postponing the possibility of disappointment as long as possible.

When the tank was full I laboriously pushed the LT to a parking place and walked into the store, my breath now coming in quick labored bursts as I approached the meager looking parts rack. Zowie, I thought, as I found the exact bulb I was looking for.

Can you believe the luck?? Here in Minneapolis I found the right bulb for my front directional lamp just like that on a Friday at noon. The problem was it came in a pack of two and I only needed one.

What to do? I asked the nice lady at the register if I could just tear the pack in half and take one bulb. She indicated that this was not an option after muttering something under her breath about a mole or a hole or something.

I couldn’t make it out. So, seeing that I was trapped in the typical capitalistic marketing rip off and at the mercy once again of simple pure corporate greed, I decided to bite the bullet, so to speak, and cough up the $1.59 for the pack of two.

After all, I reasoned, if one bulb has just burned out, perhaps another one will follow suit and the second bulb might prove a godsend. I mean, what are the chances of finding another gas station open with the same bulb? Pretty slim I figured.

But having the correct bulb was, as you can imagine, just the first half of the sizable problem. I know had to find a way to remove the old bulb and install the new one.

And I was not at all sure, to be frank, that I had the owner’s manual with me, or, lacking that, the wrenching skills to attack this problem alone. I inquired of the nice lady at the register if there were a mechanic on duty, to which she responded in the negative after what I would consider a rather rude and prolonged stare.

I was beginning to reassess my original opinion of her. It seemed I had no choice now but to roll up my sleeves and tackle this knotty bit of bike repair myself. You can imagine how relieved I was to discover in my meager tool kit the correct Phillips screwdriver to remove the single screw that held the front directional lens so securely in place.

Whew, I thought, again, another bullet dodged! And I was further pleased to note that the screw turned rather easily so I did not need to employ the impact screwdriver I had brought along for just such an occasion.

Within a few minutes the lens was off and now I was faced with the not insignificant task of removing the bulb assembly (for want of a better word) from the lens itself. I don’t want to get too technical here, but believe me, that is a more challenging task than the uninitiated might think.

Fortunately, with a bit of elbow grease, as they say, and some solid determination on my part to solve this challenging problem, I was able to successfully remove the bulb from the lens. I AM good, I thought, wait ‘till I tell the folks at Aerostich about this!

Now all I had to do was to remove the bulb from the socket and replace it with one of the bulbs I had just purchased and, voila, I’m almost done. I was definitely on a roll now and with a minimum of fuss managed to figure which way to twist the defunct bulb to bring about its successful extraction. Don’t want to go into too much detail here, but counter clockwise seems to work just fine, at least on the left bulb, not sure if the right bulb would behave the same or even whether this rule applies equally to bikes in the southern hemisphere, given the whole toilet flushing thing, you know. Anyway, I digress.

Once the failed bulb was out of the socket I quickly deduced how to install the new bulb and without too much effort managed to successfully place the new functional bulb back into the lens. Gosh, I thought, am I lucky or what? I found the right bulb, I had the correct Phillips head screwdriver, I figured out how to remove the lens and then how to extract the bulb. Needless to say, my confidence was soaring as were my spirits as I rather easily reinstalled the lens and screwed the single screw into place, again without resorting to the impact screwdriver.

But this is not the end of the tail, No, not at all. Because on the way home the right front directional failed! Holy cow, I thought, am I lucky I didn’t insist on just buying one bulb. Well, I wont go through the whole story again, but let me just say, you remove the bulb from the socket on the right side of the bike in exactly the same manner as the bulb from the left side of the bike. Still don’t know about how it all works in the southern hemisphere, though. Guess that’s a tale for another time.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DaveDragon; Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:47 pm. Reason: readability
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:50 am

Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

Perhaps this should be in the humour forum??

Major breakdown...?? Sorry I don't get it...
post #3 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you were local, I'd buy you a beer!!!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:39 pm.

post #4 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:51 am

So, how did the bulb fluid look when you drained it?

I keep a spare bulb, packed up and ready to go with the appropriate screwdriver, and dielectric grease, at a safe deposit box at a local bank whenever I ride the LT more than 20 miles from home. My attorney has explicit directions to ship the bulb to me at my request, should I need it.

Any chance at getting the old bulb rebuilt so you can keep it for a spare? From what I hear, a lot of people suspect that the preload on the tungsten filament is set incorrectly from the factory, and this causes the premature failures.

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #5 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTommy

Life's a Bitch & then you Die . . .

The Journey is the Destination

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #6 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:57 am

Talking Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

Phew! Bullet dodged, but that was a close call!
Good thing it was the front bulbs that went bad. The rear are MUCH more difficult to replace!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:03 pm

Smile Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

Greg !!! That ain't a MAJOR BREAK DOWN !!! It's a burned out bulb for gosh sake....... and not wanting to buy two? As John Stossel says, "Give me a Break"

and please, next time break that long paragraph down into several.:-) Dang hard to read!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:04 pm

That was too funny. Can't believe you took all that time to post your experience.

As a side note. Isn't it amazing the quality control on light bulbs. Pairs very frequently fail within close proximity of each other. I've had many headlights do the same thing on autos.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:20 pm

The cheapest part of owning a BMW is the owner (especially this dude)...
post #10 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Greg !!! That ain't a MAJOR BREAK DOWN !!! It's a burned out bulb for gosh sake....... and not wanting to buy two? As John Stossel says, "Give me a Break"

and please, next time break that long paragraph down into several.:-) Dang hard to read!
omg tell me it ain't really so...

Loved the piece, thank you. Regretably it doesn't belong in the humor section. I just sold my 03 LT with 50 k on it. It was a perfect bike, in every way. Never an issue, never a problem. Ran and runs marvi; tight and strong. There is a lot of fret on this forum and I think you captured the essence exactly.

Just think if they had a forum for marriage. Do you think anyone would ever get married?

enjoy the ride
post #11 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
omg tell me it ain't really so...

Loved the piece, thank you. Regretably it doesn't belong in the humor section. I just sold my 03 LT with 50 k on it. It was a perfect bike, in every way. Never an issue, never a problem. Ran and runs marvi; tight and strong. There is a lot of fret on this forum and I think you captured the essence exactly.

Just think if they had a forum for marriage. Do you think anyone would ever get married?

enjoy the ride
Nice to know a few saw the humor here. Thanks.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #12 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 1:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Greg, with that amount of luck I think you should go out and play the lotto.
Thanks for the smile.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Phew! Bullet dodged, but that was a close call!
Good thing it was the front bulbs that went bad. The rear are MUCH more difficult to replace!
Believe me, I thank my lucky stars. If it had been a rear bulb might have had to use the impact screwdriver.

Greg

post #14 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpilot06

I keep a spare bulb, packed up and ready to go with the appropriate screwdriver, and dielectric grease, at a safe deposit box at a local bank whenever I ride the LT more than 20 miles from home. My attorney has explicit directions to ship the bulb to me at my request, should I need it.

Any chance at getting the old bulb rebuilt so you can keep it for a spare? From what I hear, a lot of people suspect that the preload on the tungsten filament is set incorrectly from the factory, and this causes the premature failures.
I had been checking the bulb fluid pretty regularly, you know, just as precaution. But when it starts to go, it goes fast. Know what I mean. Good idea about keeping spares at the local bank. I'll keep that in mind for future trips.

Greg

post #15 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell

If you were local, I'd buy you a beer!!!
Hey, Phil, I'm perfectly willing to drive to Chagrin Falls, OH for a free beer, especially now that my turn signals are working.

Greg

post #16 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Can you believe the luck?? Here in Minneapolis I found the right bulb for my front directional lamp just like that on a Friday at noon.
I'm stunned. Frankly, just stunned. Always insist in Genuine BMW Bulbs and have all work performed by an Authorized BMW Service Technician. I'm surprised your bike even starts now.
post #17 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Nice to know a few saw the humor here. Thanks.
Yeah I've noticed there are quite a few on here that don't get the sarcastic humor. And there is quite a bit of sarcastic humor on here too. I got the post and got a smile out of it as well.

Jerry
USAF Retired
BMWOA #80289
2009 R1200GSA
1985 K100 RT-Red
2002 K1200 LTC-Silver(SOLD)
post #18 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:48 pm

ARRRRRRGHHH!! You probably just voided your extended warranty!

Good humorous piece on pointing out how much whining goes on in the forum.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #19 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTommy

Of course you don't get it because any sane person would have ditched the bike on the spot after finding out that the bulbs only came in a rip off two pack. I myself would have taken a Greyhound home in frustration. The crap that us BMW riders have to put up with is unnerving to say the least. By the way, the gas station bulb will probably lower your gas mileage, lead to early engine wear and void your warranty. As soon as you get home, you would be well advised to switch out that cheap bulb for one that has tons of secret research verifying its superior illumination.
post #20 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:21 pm

I personnaly dont believe it.........Having the right bulb and having the right tools and Noon Friday in MN.....It never would happen to me.....

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #21 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
I suppose I should have entered this in the contest for the worse breakdown, but, well, I thought it might be just a little over the top and kind of scary for newer riders.

Here’s what happened, on the way up to the Rally I noticed that my left directional light was flashing too quickly. Darn it to heck, I thought, that must mean a bulb is out.

Immediately I began to calculate how I would attack the problem. Did I have the proper tools to handle this myself? Where could I find a replacement bulb on a busy Friday? Would the delay add hours to my trip?

What if we’re stranded? I could feel small to medium sized beads of sweat forming on my brow as I contemplated these questions and pressed on warily despite the now compromised condition of my bike.

Each time I pressed the left directional button on my LT the same thing occurred, that devilish rapid blinking. Clearly this was not just an anomaly that would clear itself up because I just went over a railroad track, as I had hoped. No. I had to admit it.

The problem was real and like it or not I was going to have to deal with it, alone, on the road, in broad daylight with just my own wits and the few tools I carry with me. The harsh truth of the matter was staring me in the eyes and demanding action. Darn it to heck, I thought again, darn it to heck!

Fortunately, when we got to downtown Minneapolis I lucked out and located an open gas station even though it was close to noon time on a busy Friday. How lucky can a guy get?

Sometimes the gods ARE on your side. Whew, I thought, maybe, just maybe, they’ll have an 1157 replacement bulb. I pulled into the station and filled the LT with gas, postponing the possibility of disappointment as long as possible.

When the tank was full I laboriously pushed the LT to a parking place and walked into the store, my breath now coming in quick labored bursts as I approached the meager looking parts rack. Zowie, I thought, as I found the exact bulb I was looking for.

Can you believe the luck?? Here in Minneapolis I found the right bulb for my front directional lamp just like that on a Friday at noon. The problem was it came in a pack of two and I only needed one.

What to do? I asked the nice lady at the register if I could just tear the pack in half and take one bulb. She indicated that this was not an option after muttering something under her breath about a mole or a hole or something.

I couldn’t make it out. So, seeing that I was trapped in the typical capitalistic marketing rip off and at the mercy once again of simple pure corporate greed, I decided to bite the bullet, so to speak, and cough up the $1.59 for the pack of two.

After all, I reasoned, if one bulb has just burned out, perhaps another one will follow suit and the second bulb might prove a godsend. I mean, what are the chances of finding another gas station open with the same bulb? Pretty slim I figured.

But having the correct bulb was, as you can imagine, just the first half of the sizable problem. I know had to find a way to remove the old bulb and install the new one.

And I was not at all sure, to be frank, that I had the owner’s manual with me, or, lacking that, the wrenching skills to attack this problem alone. I inquired of the nice lady at the register if there were a mechanic on duty, to which she responded in the negative after what I would consider a rather rude and prolonged stare.

I was beginning to reassess my original opinion of her. It seemed I had no choice now but to roll up my sleeves and tackle this knotty bit of bike repair myself. You can imagine how relieved I was to discover in my meager tool kit the correct Phillips screwdriver to remove the single screw that held the front directional lens so securely in place.

Whew, I thought, again, another bullet dodged! And I was further pleased to note that the screw turned rather easily so I did not need to employ the impact screwdriver I had brought along for just such an occasion.

Within a few minutes the lens was off and now I was faced with the not insignificant task of removing the bulb assembly (for want of a better word) from the lens itself. I don’t want to get too technical here, but believe me, that is a more challenging task than the uninitiated might think.

Fortunately, with a bit of elbow grease, as they say, and some solid determination on my part to solve this challenging problem, I was able to successfully remove the bulb from the lens. I AM good, I thought, wait ‘till I tell the folks at Aerostich about this!

Now all I had to do was to remove the bulb from the socket and replace it with one of the bulbs I had just purchased and, voila, I’m almost done. I was definitely on a roll now and with a minimum of fuss managed to figure which way to twist the defunct bulb to bring about its successful extraction. Don’t want to go into too much detail here, but counter clockwise seems to work just fine, at least on the left bulb, not sure if the right bulb would behave the same or even whether this rule applies equally to bikes in the southern hemisphere, given the whole toilet flushing thing, you know. Anyway, I digress.

Once the failed bulb was out of the socket I quickly deduced how to install the new bulb and without too much effort managed to successfully place the new functional bulb back into the lens. Gosh, I thought, am I lucky or what? I found the right bulb, I had the correct Phillips head screwdriver, I figured out how to remove the lens and then how to extract the bulb. Needless to say, my confidence was soaring as were my spirits as I rather easily reinstalled the lens and screwed the single screw into place, again without resorting to the impact screwdriver.

But this is not the end of the tail, No, not at all. Because on the way home the right front directional failed! Holy cow, I thought, am I lucky I didn’t insist on just buying one bulb. Well, I wont go through the whole story again, but let me just say, you remove the bulb from the socket on the right side of the bike in exactly the same manner as the bulb from the left side of the bike. Still don’t know about how it all works in the southern hemisphere, though. Guess that’s a tale for another time.
I get it.. I had the very same break down, BUT new bulb didn't fix it?????? Finally after much research I discovered that the left signal light in the rear had a corroded terminal, success a little sand paper and some Vaseline.. repair completed

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #22 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:34 pm

You never said, but it sounds like you did all that and weren't missing any parts or have any left over. That truely IS amazing! Great job! I know who I'm calling for help when my bulb fluid runs out. (if you had posted pics, I might not have to call you)

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #23 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:39 pm

Greg,

My 2 year old grandson and I are nursing ourselves back to health after a freak accident on the boat burned us; he much more severe than I. It was good to read your account and I, for one, got a good chuckle out of it. If for no other reason, your post was good for me; a godsend as it were.

As my mother is fond of saying, "Some people wouldn't be happy if you kicked their rear ends with a new pair of shoes". Sure enough, some don't have even a remote sense of humor. Pay no attention to them. They only glean happiness from other's pure misery. I can tell you're not that way, and I can't wait to hear the next exciting episode. Perhaps we'll hit a bonanza and you'll break a shift linkage or something equally life threatening. And I shudder to ask, how long's it been since you checked the air in your tires? I'd be the first to sign up for the video series on that task. Especially since I don't have the 90 degree valve stems on either of my bikes.

Thanks again,

Greg
post #24 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Greg,

Especially since I don't have the 90 degree valve stems on either of my bikes.

Greg
And a damn good thing for you too! You can't use those things on your bike! They will induce harmonic distortion accompanied by a rapid intermittent osscilation with induced gyroscopic rotational balance irregularities that will lead to failure of the final drive.
post #25 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Quote:
And I shudder to ask, how long's it been since you checked the air in your tires?
Don't start that one again. It will end up in a discussion about how tYres is the correct spelling and the merits of summer air v winter air.

Also I am going to sue BMW for negligence....

When I had an MOT* test, they told me I didn't have enough air in the tyres for safety. That means they didn't fill them properly, so it must be worth a call to ambulancechasers R us?

* UK annual mandatory inspection

Just pussin' through.
post #26 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Wink Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

I just had leg surgery and wont be riding for 6 weeks. I was lying here feeling sorry for myself and then read your post. I thought wow! That could have been me!! Aleast I know that for the next several weeks I wont have any bulb major break downs. I hope you dont mind though, that I printed out your post just in case it happens to me down the road one day. Im scared I might not remember which way to turn those darned bulbs!! Surgery doesnt seem so bad now.
post #27 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:23 pm
BMW Guru

Make sure you register this incident with the NHTSB. I'm sure that a DOUBLE bulb failure was in someway caused by the FD and they need to be informed. Glad you're made to the rally safely.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #28 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Lucky you found those. If not, someone on the board could've express-shipped one to you - to unstrand you, see.
Why, but why, is BMW pretending that these bulbs are not a recall issue???
post #29 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Greg,

My 2 year old grandson and I are nursing ourselves back to health after a freak accident on the boat burned us; he much more severe than I. It was good to read your account and I, for one, got a good chuckle out of it. If for no other reason, your post was good for me; a godsend as it were.

As my mother is fond of saying, "Some people wouldn't be happy if you kicked their rear ends with a new pair of shoes". Sure enough, some don't have even a remote sense of humor. Pay no attention to them. They only glean happiness from other's pure misery. I can tell you're not that way, and I can't wait to hear the next exciting episode. Perhaps we'll hit a bonanza and you'll break a shift linkage or something equally life threatening. And I shudder to ask, how long's it been since you checked the air in your tires? I'd be the first to sign up for the video series on that task. Especially since I don't have the 90 degree valve stems on either of my bikes.

Thanks again,

Greg
Wait a minute. There's air in my tires??? Well, now I have a whole new issue to worry about.

Greg

post #30 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

What a hoot. The replies are far funnier than my original post. Thanks.
And for those that expressed concern, be not afraid, I will be replacing the replacement bulbs with genuine BMW parts as soon as I can. don't want to void my warranty or take a chance they might corrupt the electrical system. I did notice a bit less low end acceleration with the new bulbs and I'm pretty sure my windshield was getting dirty faster.

Greg

post #31 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

What I want to know is how many blinks per bulb you got or maybe that's miles per lumen?

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #32 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey, Phil, I'm perfectly willing to drive to Chagrin Falls, OH for a free beer, especially now that my turn signals are working.
C'mon over and we'll enjoy a brew or two here!

They have very HOT servers!

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #33 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Am I the only one here who thinks that we need to start tracking these failures? Bulb failure registry?

I guess now this makes you a "X Percenter". We just need to figure out what X is.

I'm told the Gold Wings don't have these bulb problems.

Please tell me you're drilling the "hole mod" on the new bulbs. I'd hate to see this happen to you again.

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #34 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:17 pm

So, have you figured out what color 'Wing you're going to get to replace it?
post #35 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
C'mon over and we'll enjoy a brew or two here!

They have very HOT servers!
How long is this offer good for?

Greg

post #36 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:57 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Am I the only one here who thinks that we need to start tracking these failures? Bulb failure registry?
See post #27

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #37 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I guess now this makes you a "X Percenter". We just need to figure out what X is.

I'm told the Gold Wings don't have these bulb problems.

Please tell me you're drilling the "hole mod" on the new bulbs. I'd hate to see this happen to you again.
I suspect I am just the tip of the ice berg. There are probably a lot of other bulb failure victims out there that have been afraid to come forward. I hope we've broken the ice with this and we can move forward into a new day where bulb failure can be reported without fear of reprisals, God willing.

Greg

post #38 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyrrh
So, have you figured out what color 'Wing you're going to get to replace it?
I'm kinda fond of the yellow ones, but I hear they've stopped producing that color, so...I don't know, I kinda like fuscia, but there are shades of aquamarine that appeal to me, too.

Greg

post #39 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Greg,

Words can't describe how grateful Mrs. hschisler and I are that you made it safely off the road after this potentially catastrophic failure. These types of problems really are the worst: with no advance warning of any kind, who's to say what the outcome could have been. At next Mass, I'm lighting a candle for you, just to show my gratitude to St. Lumen (patron saint of vehicular illumination).

I'm surprised no one mentioned using the BMW MOA Anonymous book. It's a great resource should you ever encounter this issue again. This major repair is one of two things that I have personally done to my LT. Next to a tank bag installation it's got to be the toughest thing on this bike of ours.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #40 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

How long is this offer good for?

No expiration! In the winter we move inside by the fireplace

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #41 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:24 pm

If you were not using BMW-branded blinker fluid, there's a solid chance that they'll deny the warranty claim.

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #42 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Smile Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbill
I get it.. I had the very same break down, BUT new bulb didn't fix it?????? Finally after much research I discovered that the left signal light in the rear had a corroded terminal, success a little sand paper and some Vaseline.. repair completed

The part about Vaseline, sand paper and rear of the bike scares me a bit.
post #43 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Yeah, and I would hate to turn this into an oil thread, but what is the best bulb oil to use anyway?

We need more humor and less whining!

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #44 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Now THAT is funny. If I were closer I would have to buy the beers.

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #45 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:08 pm

Now, if you were smart you would have used a LED replacement bulb as they will last longer than the motorcycle!

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #46 of 66 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Whoa.. talk about dodging the bullet.. I'll offer ya $50 to take that worn out junker off your hands!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #47 of 66 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:05 am

this is gay
no wonder i want a goldwing
at least there not as nerdy as this group
post #48 of 66 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 2:14 am

It is a great feeling when you can tackle such a major repair, on the road, alone. I accomplished a similar feat, only under more adverse conditions: 11:30pm, Saturday night, in motel parking lot, nestled between a Concourse and Goldwing on one side, and two Harleys on their trailer to the other side; I attempted to replace my failed low beam headlight bulb! The other riders were telling me "There's no way you can fix that! Hope you have AAA! That's a dealer-only repair!".

Wielding only the small flashlight from the oddments box, I rolled up my sleeve and stuck my hand up inside the nose of my LT. They gasped as they heard the click of the retaining clip, that I was able to wrestle off its seat with my bare hand! Then I pulled out my arm, grasping the rear cover from the light assembly. "That's gonna be expensive to replace what you just broke off!" Another reach inside, with my ungloved hand, and three seconds later pull out an H7 bulb. My audience stared with amazement, their jaws dropped as if I had parted the waters of the Mississippi river.

When the new bulb was in place, I cautiously turned the ignition key to the "on" position--let there be LIGHT! My audience cheered! One of them then reached into the cooler that was strapped to their trailer, pulled out an ice cold brown bottle, handed it to me saying "You da man!!"

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #49 of 66 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 9:45 am

Talking Re: major breakdown on the way to rally

WOW!! What a great repair write up. I think we should have the Mods tack the thread.

At least put it in the Technical Forum :-).
post #50 of 66 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
this is gay
"Gay"? Really? Are you 12? sheesh...

Oh, you meant
6 gay, jocund, jolly, jovial, merry, mirthful
full of or showing high-spirited merriment; "when hearts were young and gay"; "a poet could not but be gay, in such a jocund company"- Wordsworth; "the jolly crowd at the reunion"; "jolly old Saint Nick"; "a jovial old gentleman"; "have a merry Christmas"
Yep, that fits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in