Anybody in PA know about Hermy's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Anybody in PA know about Hermy's

Calling around today about my upcoming clutch, trans seal job I spoke with Hermy's BMW/Triumph in Clinton, PA (east of Harrisburg). Wow! impressive service guy, took 10 minutes to explain all of the options, plus $25 dollars an hour cheaper then Bob's, plus after an 8 hour job they give you a break on labor.

Let me also add Velocity Cycle in Mechanicsburg, PA. Ditto on the knowledge and price. Both sound like really good options. I would just like to hear a few good things about either.

Sounds all to good to be true.

Thanks,

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by emsweeney; Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:23 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:48 am

Re: Anybody in PA know about Hermy's

I bought 2 bikes from Hermys and they were represented exactly. I have not used their service department but they did service both bikes i bought and i have not had any problems with either one of them.

I just got an 05LT last October and previously had the 02RS. Both have been great bikes. The folks there are the real deal unlike the local dealer which is a bit snobbish in my opinion. Sorry I cant give you a better answer regarding the service department then i have...
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:48 am

+1 for Hermy's! All great friendly people. Nice roads to get there, will provide loaners, and the Port Clinton Hotel (about a block up) has excellent food.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Anybody have any dealings with the other BMW dealer around that area, Velocity Cycle in Mechanicsburg.

Gene Sweeney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:30 pm

Thumbs up Re: Anybody in PA know about Hermy's

Gene ,

I have delt with Hermys since 02. You may have spoke with Darrel the service mgr.
Quality work.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:43 pm

I personally haven't dealt with them, but a good friend of mine has bought two bikes from them and was very pleased with their entire operation.
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsweeney
Thanks for the info! Anybody have any dealings with the other BMW dealer around that area, Velocity Cycle in Mechanicsburg.
I've had some dealings with Velocity Cycles in Mechanicsburg.
They worked on my Honda 83 500 Shadow and after a while I got the feeling that they were being less than honest. I'll spare you the gory details. After asking around, I found many other bikers in this area feel the same way about their service department. I just purchased a 2005 1200LT and I am going to try Trans Am Cycles in Lititz when it comes time to have the 12K service on the bike.
Velocity is 10 miles from my house, Trans Am is about 45.

Last edited by 1635SMR; Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:23 pm.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:35 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I would not take a rat to Velocity.

Trans Am are great people and as the other poster said I drive 45, when Velocity is about 10.

However Tracus swears by Velocity but it is all he has known, and he only has one wrench work on his bikes over the years.

I have heard that Hermy's is a great shop also. But I have not dealt with them.

As I said Trans Am and Charlie the service manager are great people.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:18 pm

I have never used Hermys but everything I ever heard was good about them and I have used Trans Am a few times and I have been impressed with the service that I received there, I will gladly deal with them again.
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everybody who has responded, I will give Trans Am a call, plus Hermys sounds great.

Thanks,

Gene Sweeney

post #11 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:50 pm

Quote:
I had a bad experience with the dealer in Mechanicsburg several years ago (circa 5/2001) - I believe at the time they were under a different name, although they were a BMW dealer.
I've posted about them in the past, so I don't need to get into details, but unless it's a completely different crew, I personally would not deal with them.
I drove another 10 minutes and bought a Triumph instead.

HTH.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:46 am Thread Starter

Well I spoke with Charlie in service at Trans-Am Cycles, and instead of talking me into parts, he was telling me what might not be needed. Now that's a switch! I've made an appointment for Sat. the 6th of Sept. to bring my baby in. Here's hoping!

Gene Sweeney

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 5:26 pm

Smile Re: Anybody in PA know about Hermy's

Bought two bikes from Hermy's, 02r1150rt and a00 K1200lt, both used. Guys up at Hermy's are very nice to deal with, bent over backwards at times to help me, would not hesitate to ge there.
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:35 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well I spoke with Charlie in service at Trans-Am Cycles, and instead of talking me into parts, he was telling me what might not be needed. Now that's a switch! I've made an appointment for Sat. the 6th of Sept. to bring my baby in. Here's hoping!
Yes that is what I like about Charlie. He has been doing this for a BUNCH of years and gives you practical advice. He said I would not check the valves until 16,000, as you said I was taken aback. He then explained that in ALL the LT's he has done never had one need anything at 12,000. He said by 16-24,000 it was time to check them and rarely has he found an issue.

He will do as much or as little as you want but will advise you of cutoff points when it must be done.

He also advised 12,000 at least for synthetic oil in the motor.

At 6000 I wanted him to change oil/FD/Trany. I carry the FD/Tranny oil in with me, as I used the Banned Brand of synthetic. So the wrench and I are talking and I said to him I did the Tranny at 3,000. He said man you don't need to change it and I would not if I were you, but if you want me to I will. I said don't worry about it then. So he does his thing and the FD and the 6000 service. Then I had asked about the Diagnostic Reader. Well he gave me an education on it in the brake software portion. I got the print out and it is simply amazing. It gives you pressure's on various point on all the circuits, with and without applying pressure, and all kinds of stats on your brakes.

I then go in and get a filter and crush washers for my 9000 mile and the bill was like 168 bucks. Hell I asked Charlie if it was right. He laughed and said yes.

Bottom line he knows I do what I can to support him, and he takes care of me. Never had an issue with the bike except for the brake squeal and he put on EBC pads and noise deadener on the piston/pad contact area, it helped. I put a EBC rotor on it and called it a day. Other then that I got the 600, 6000, and I will do all the 12,000 except the oil. I then will let them change the oil, read it on the machine, check it over, and stamp my book and be on my way.

He simply told me ride the bike, if anything breaks we will fix it, period.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Great write-up about Charlie, thanks so much. I may have found a real gem for service and my wallet and I are excited!

Regards,

Gene Sweeney

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Yes.... Charlie is the service manager and I have been treated very well by him more than once.
My 1st contact with him was by phone shortly after buying my 1st LT and I told him of my problem and he said that is just an adjustment and you can stop by Saturday and we might be able to do it for you but you may have to wait for a while....
So I stopped buy when they opened and an hour later I left there and the problem was solved and when I asked how much he said.......... no charge....
I was shocked.. So since then if I need a dealer for service or parts I go there..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in