I think I want a new K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:05 am Thread Starter

I think I want a new K1200LT

Anyone else feel this way? As much as I want a new bike, I question my motives. My 02 has really been trouble free. Non of the "4%" problems, rides like a dream, I personally installed the basic accessories like the intercom, GPS, Remus exhaust, Tire Pressure Monitor, HID lighting, etc..... and in my opinion, a perfect bike. I feel like we've been together for so long and I know her so well.......

Seems like the only real differences between my bike and a new one are a little more HP, easier slow speed handle and the power center stand...

I think I've made the emotional decision to get a new bike, just looking for a logical way to justify it.. Hate to trade out good for good or less then what I have!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:30 am

Re: I think I want a new K1200LT

Ive thought about a newer LT... but then I too look at my 99 (with 80k) and say to myself... Man she pretty.... why would i want to trade her in... never had a problem with her (that amounted to much)... shes still nice and shinny. Clean thru an thru.... I also think... well... if i get a new one now... what are my options.... look for an 08 with a color that i like... or go with a black 09.... No... i like my Basalt Gray... (Toscana Green is a nice color also)

maybe when, or if the 2010s come out ill feel different... But for now... I still look back at her and smile when I walk away.
post #3 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:36 am

Dan-

You know the issues that I've been going through with my 06. If you get a new/different bike you do run a chance of getting one that is gremlin-infested (not that large of a chance truly). The other big issue is that it is a nice capital outlay for a new bike, especially if your current one is paid off or almost there. If your current ride is trouble-free I can't see a big need to upgrade to the current gen LT. Maybe the next one?

Cheers,
Adam

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!

post #4 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Adam, How was your trip? Hope the bike was event-free.....

Guess it's just the new bike bug! I just love the new bike smell! All I do now is ride and maintain. When the bike was new, I spent a lot of time stripping her down and doing all of the accessorizing. Maybe I just need to strip some plastic, install something new and see what she looks like undressed!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:46 am

Sounds like you need a trip, why not ride down to Boca Raton and hook up with me in Sept and lets do the Poker Run together and you can ride my 2009 all the way to the end ( Key West ), you will enjoy watching your bike in action from another bike, I know I would

PS. My next door neighbor has an 09 also and he's trying to talk me into that trip.
post #6 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Still just a little too warm and (possibly wet!) in September, but it sounds inviting. Too bad it's not in the fall. Got some skydiving weekends coming up out of state but if it doesn't conflict, I might just take you up on it. I've got a sister in Naples who has been bugging me to visit, so maybe .........

When is the poker run?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:56 am

Hi Dan,

I sold off my 2000 with 120k mile mainly to not worry about the mileage biting me in the butt on a ride. It was "chipped and Remused" for the extra power. My 2008 has better power. You can ride along in 5th much easier. The 2000 for the most part needed flat stretchs for 5th.

So, if power is the issue, you might be happier. But it is not a great increase.

The center stand- really scrapes. Two up you hit every speed bump and cornering is very limited. I may need to replace the rear spring. One up there is not much of a problem. My brother in law has a bad back and he has centerstand envy.

My new bike has also been in the shop 1 week getting gremlins out, so I am having withdrawl symptoms.

A lot to be said for keeping the old bike. Bottom line for me was mileage.

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)
post #8 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Hi Scott,

Millage is not the issue as the BFP, (Big Fat Pig) only has about 36,000 miles and I really have no use for the power center stand. The only time I use my 02's center stand is for maintenance. Power wise, My 02 has enough for me. Really winding it out as I enter an interstate surprises me when I look down and I'm still in 4th. Now if the new bikes had a 6th gear, that would be sweet. Guess it's simply new bike envy!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:28 am

There is obviously no rational reason to change your LT and shade $22K+ (minus the trade in value of your current one). It has low mileage. Performance wise if you put the Rhine West chip and since you already have the Remus exhaust you will be close to get the HPs of a new LT. It looks like you have more options on your LT than you will get with the new one. I understand the envy for a new bike but if I were you I would wait another 2 years and go for the new LT.
I know I am not helping you to follow your envy, sorry
post #10 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Maybe a Rhine West chip is in the bike's future. I can justify seeing her naked again too. Is it difficult to install and or require any special tools or adjustments?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #11 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Still just a little too warm and (possibly wet!) in September, but it sounds inviting. Too bad it's not in the fall. Got some skydiving weekends coming up out of state but if it doesn't conflict, I might just take you up on it. I've got a sister in Naples who has been bugging me to visit, so maybe .........

When is the poker run?

Poker Run is Sept 19 through the 21st

Here's the link

http://www.lightningcustoms.com/key-west-poker-run.html
post #12 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:07 am

I was right there 4 weeks ago. I have 2003 with 23,500 miles and I started to get impatient waiting for the next generation to arrive. I found a 2005 with low mileage and thought, why not upgrade until the next generation arrived? I took it for a ride and realized that the seat wasnt as comfortable, it handled a little better and sat a little higher. I wasnt in love with the color (I have black and the 05 was gray) and I read some horror stories about the center stand failing and the repair cost was about $1,000. (not a problem if it iwas under warranty, but this bike had only 2000 miles on it and was out of warranty)

I came to conclusion that it just wasnt worth it. I will wait for the next generation..
post #13 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:31 am

Quote:
Maybe a Rhine West chip is in the bike's future. I can justify seeing her naked again too. Is it difficult to install and or require any special tools or adjustments?
I have not done it myself yet but I am seriously thinking about doing it this winter. Replacing the chip is not look technically difficult but it takes time as it implies removing the side fairings and fuel tank to get access to the control unit. Replacing the chip in the control unit is very easy.
post #14 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Adam, How was your trip? Hope the bike was event-free.....
Yeah, I wish it was incident free as well. Ran out of gas twice after my fuel gauge died in Quebec and the canister went kaput.

Good luck on the new bike quest.

Adam
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!
post #15 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 2:57 pm

I was right there on the edge of a 05. I even had the "boss" of the house giving me the okay. I took a deep long look, filled my lungs with air and took the 01 back on the road. I've stepped back from the edge and said " maybe next year". I can't part with my girl right now, she has been very good to me. Boy, I think I need to leave work and have a little private time with her. The bottom line is do what you think is best for you at this point in time. Good luck and ride safe.

Michael Dale
post #16 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I am thinking that you keep it...why fix it if it is not broke...

But what you can do in the meanwhile is save up for a new one so when the time is right you will have the funds to do it then...

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #17 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 3:35 pm

so, don't trade off the "good" bike...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 3:47 pm

You have an 02 with 36K miles...........It's just now broken in. Maybe you just got the "wants". Men are like women sometimes. They just want to buy something..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #19 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Dan,
I understand your dilemma. I had it at the beginning of the year and ended up buying a 2008. The trouble is that didn't end the dilemma. I've kept the '99 for a friend to use next month, so I been riding both bikes.

You think, I'd have a favorite. The 2008 center stand, central locking and stronger brakes are nice, but the '99's worked fine and I worry if their complex maintenance is worth it. The upgraded seats and lights from the '99 got moved to the new bike so those improvements didn't matter. The new one is prettier and that makes my SO happy. That's worth a lot.

I don't really see the power difference in the new bike and I prefer the taller gear ratio of the '99. It just fits my shift habits and the old bike seem more "free running" if that makes any sense. I miss the gas mileage on '99, mostly because I can't brag about 50mpg any more.

I'm not unhappy I bought the new bike, but I think I'm more like a squirrel putting nuts away. I don't see BMW replacing the K1200LT and I think it may get dropped soon so I don't want to be with out one. That of course, makes no sense, but that's part of the dilemma.

Good luck.

Richard

Richard Wright
'99 K1200LT Champagne(in Heidelberg)
'08 K1200LT Black
post #20 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I would think twice ! My old LT (2000LTC) came back to me recently and it now has only 42K on the ODO ! It also aquired a set of Ohlins during its absence, which i appreciate very much ! I have replaced front fork seals and RD Pinion seal, brake pads, front/rear tires recently. I am about to replace the rear rotor, as the bushings have given it up.. Other than that, everything looks, feels good and I know where it's been, so I could not justify any outlay for a new bike right now.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #21 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 5:06 pm
Ted

Quote:
Anyone else feel this way? As much as I want a new bike, I question my motives.
Hi Dan -

Is it possible that you just want something new?? I love my '03 as well, but, I'm just feeling like I want something different - as in addition to the LT.

I've been looking at the Ducati S4RS, BMW R1200R, and even considering a Yamaha WR250R (there are some nice dirt roads in the mountains close-by).

I'm really happy w/ the LT, just feeling the need to mix it up a bit. Unfortunately, my budget is a bit lacking at the moment, so I'm just trying to decide what I really want. If something were to happen to my LT, I'd replace it as soon as possible, but to sell a perfectly good bike to replace it with almost the same doesn't make sense for me.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 5:23 pm

Just contact Ari, the farkle freek. He's got enough projects to keep you happily involved in your naked bike until the design defects on the new LT surface.

Or, you could go 70s style and chop and chrome your LT.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #23 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

This bike has been so good to me that I think I'll go probably go with the Rhine West chip and see how she handles. Probably due for some new shocks too. Just got back and she sure does handle well. Just can't see 10,000 now + mine for a new one that is almost the same. Now when and if a new model comes out, I'll probably be first in line.... I hardly ever ride two up and still love the K1200LT for all of it's features. Great on trips to WV.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #24 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Thumbs up Re: I think I want a new K1200LT

Dan, I am with Ted on thagt one. Keep the good bike, and with the money you would have to spend for an 09 just get a secoind and very different bike.
You can probably pick up a used F650 for that amount.
Besides... you know you want to!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Anyone else feel this way? As much as I want a new bike,
I question my motives.
Sounds like what they call the seven year "itch" in a marriage.
Quote:
..... and in my opinion, a perfect bike.
I feel like we've been together for so long and I know her so well.......
You just need to spend some quality time together and fall in love again.

Take a day and wash, wax, detail her,
make her look real pretty,
then take her out "on the town" show her off a little.
That ought to put the romance back into the "relationship"

Iff'en you still want to "spend some money" on her,
buy her some jewelry or in this case a pair of new Ohlins,
you'll really enjoy the way "she handles" after that.

Quote:
the grass is always greener
right over the septic tank.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Wanting a new bike's an emotional thing... no logic to it. Understand completely.

That's how we ended up with my wife's Ural. Gotta tell a little story... Found the ADV website and one day told my wife "I know the one thing I have to do before I die." She replied, "Oh great, another obsession. What is it now." I told her I read about some ADV rides and want to do something similar. Take a week, ride as far as possible on and off road. Park it in a storage facility until I have another week or two. Fly out and pick up the ride, etc. Fast forward.... Stopped by Greensboro one day and saw the Urals. Note: My wife also rides, or at least she has her endorsement. As we left, wife says in the intercom, "Hey, I've got an idea. You can get one of those adventure bikes and I can get a Ural and we can ride together." Now, I am playing it cool. All I heard was I could have another bike. So I says, "Yea, maybe. I'm not sure I want an Adventure bike." I'm thinkin, "alright, how do I play this." So after an hour or two of ridin and not mentioning any more about it, I tell wife, "You should get the Ural. I can get an adventure bike later if I decide to do it." We do the standard, no, yah, you deserve it, naw, etc. So we went back the next day and picked it up. I called Greensboro and told them I was comin. Jason came back and opened the store up after they closed to let me take it home.

So I says all that to say... Get another bike!!!

And by the way, if any of you ever meet my wife, you can't tell her the story. She'd kick my @@@!
post #27 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Sounds like what they call the seven year "itch" in a marriage.

You just need to spend some quality time together and fall in love again.

Take a day and wash, wax, detail her,
make her look real pretty,
then take her out "on the town" show her off a little.
That ought to put the romance back into the "relationship"

Iff'en you still want to "spend some money" on her,
buy her some jewelry or in this case a pair of new Ohlins,
you'll really enjoy the way "she handles" after that.
Hans, I love it!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #28 of 42 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:53 pm

Dan,

Just my two cents worth, since you rarely ride two-up maybe you should consider another motorcycle. Something like the R1200RT may be just what you need. It's lighter than the LT, more manuverable, and will out accelerate it as well.

I'm in the process of selling my LT now and I will be getting a newer RT in the near future. Mostly because I do ride by myself 90+ percent of the time. I like the way my '96 RT feels. It still has an upright riding posture so the ergonomics are good. And the comfort side is pretty good too along with the basic ammenities (like heated grips, seat, radio, etc.).

I do expect to get another LT though down the road as I don't think any ohter motorcycle is as comfortable for long trips. I don't know if it will be a used one ('06 or later) or a new one (when the new one comes out), but I know I will get one with a warrenty. Just for the piece of mind.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #29 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:05 am

Quote:
Do the chip ,works well.

Buy another bike and keep the LT. If it were me I would buy a C-14 or the FJR.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #30 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:10 am

Garage

Keep the LT, you've just got it like you want it.

My LT is an 02SE. It has HID's, PIAA's, Dice unit, GPS, High Screen and returns mid 50's mpg. Can't think of anything better for eating up vast distances on, and like you don't see the need for more hp, a power stand with mood lighting and central locking. More stuff to go wrong, additional weight and less mpg for no real gain.

Buy something different to satisfy the wanting. I just did that and got a Triumph Daytona 1200 SE. Why? Because I wanted something brutal to play with on the odd occasion I can live without the LT pampering me.

It will be intersting to see how many miles I put on the Daytona in the next 12 months. In fact I already know the answer to that... Not many.

Ride safe

David

You can't guarantee tomorrow, so do it today!
post #31 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Do the chip ,works well.

Buy another bike and keep the LT. If it were me I would buy a C-14 or the FJR.
I think that I read somewhere that if you add the chip, you need to always use the highest octane available. Is this true and does it hurt the bike/timing to use a lower octane if higher is not available?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #32 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by browad
Yeah, I wish it was incident free as well. Ran out of gas twice after my fuel gauge died in Quebec and the canister went kaput.

Good luck on the new bike quest.
I pulled my canister a long time ago and have not noticed a difference. It's easy to do ( you definitely have the skills) and then you don't have to worry about over filling the tank. Would have figured that you had already done it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #33 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:10 am

I can only think of one reason how you can justify the purchase of a new LT. Because you want one. That's it. Let's not get crazy justifying anything here. If you can afford it, sell your '02 and go pick out a new one.

But personally, I'd just wait to see what's in store for the LT at this point. But that's just me. I sell my bikes before they get very old ... you know ... avoiding all of this confusion.
post #34 of 42 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Quote:
I pulled my canister a long time ago and have not noticed a difference. It's easy to do ( you definitely have the skills) and then you don't have to worry about over filling the tank. Would have figured that you had already done it.
It's on the to-do list for the weekend.

Adam
The
wants YOU!
post #35 of 42 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 9:21 pm

test reply, thanks.
post #36 of 42 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteMTNmark
test reply, thanks.

What the heck???? I read through this WHOLE THREAD thinking Dan wanted a new bike for Christmas (of course never checking the dates). Then I get down near the end and see that JOE had commented (what???). Something smelled fishy cause he hasn't been around here in an eon -- Then I see THIS!!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, any update Danny boy??????

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #37 of 42 Old Dec 20th, 2008, 11:55 pm

Ya wonder if what he did. I heard Rhinwest went out of bussiness so that may change the chip idea. Well I bought a new bike yesterday, one I have wanted since i was able to ride a motorcycle, only took 41 years but I did it. A 1967 Triumph Bonneville! I am keeping the LT also wouldn't think of selling her.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #38 of 42 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 6:49 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: I think I want a new K1200LT

Hi Jack - Happy Holidays......

Na, not yet........ I've tried to be logical about it and with the economy the way it is, put it off till I can come up with a better reason than simply, I want it! Putting way too much money this time of year into skydiving.

The GM (Green Machine) has been so reliable, simply handles too well and with all of the little extras I've added to her I could not easily replace her with a new K1200LT. This bike has really been fault free and is such a pleasure to ride that I would question my sanity! The "male" in me is always looking from afar but not touching!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #39 of 42 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 6:54 am

Dan,

I keep looking but have yet to find anything that has made me want to swap out my 2001 LT.
Swapped my RT for the LT and have never regretted it.
We have nine years and 94K miles together.

I ride it like a sport bike, even towing my Bushtec trailer.
It's capable of being more than a highway cruiser.
Taking two of Mark Brown's MotoMark1 courses pushed my riding to a new level.

I'm on my second set of Ohlins on the rear; 1st set on the front.
It made such a significant difference in the riding and handling.
A new level of fun and confidence.

Already replaced my center stand and side stands.
Broke the center stand from continuous scrapings leaned over.
Wore down the foot of the sidestand doing the same.
Doing the same to the replacements.

Just wanted to share my experiences.
I know it's a very personal decision in your expectations for your ride.
Safe travels.

Gary
post #40 of 42 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Yep - New shocks are probably in the future.... just not sure yet if mine need replacing, but that's another thread. It is quite a bike! Now it's off the the drop-zone to play with the Finnish invasion.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #41 of 42 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 8:04 am

Dan

Sounds like you're also a sky diver.
Completed the Special Forces Military Freefall (HALO) School in 1979.
Spent the next 23 years on HALO status.
More tactical night/combat equipment/oxygen jumps than fun jumps.
Highest was from 37,200 feet over NAS Agana, Guam.
Almost as much fun as running the LT.

Gary
post #42 of 42 Old Dec 21st, 2008, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Gary, I'm jealous!

We normally jump from about 13,500 except on some of the larger formation loads. Largest formation was around 160 / 6 Otters in formation and jumping from 23,000 feet. Took 17 attempts to get everyone together in their slot.

Lot of prior military and local SOCOM play regularly at Z-Hills, Fl. You should ride on down and we'll get you in the air! It's busy in Florida this time of year.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in