Final Drive filler plug....stop me before I.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Final Drive filler plug....stop me before I....

OK...all of this talk about the final drive failures made me go out in the garage and drain the drive oil.....and it certainly looks like it needed it!

The good news is that nothing but dirty black gear oil poured out....even the magnetic plug had nothing but sludge on it....then again, I only have 14k on a 2002.

Anyway.....now that I have drained the oil, luck would have it I can't get the filler plug out.

This isn't some reverse thread thing is it? Before I REALLY lean on the allen wrench, and strip the head, and rake my knuckles across the brake caliper or rotor, and scream obsenities.....anyone have a suggestion? I hesitate to take heat to the aluminum housing. And again, I really don't want to lean on it for fear of stripping the head. I tried a pipe extension on the wrench to get more leverage, but the fear of stripping....

Appreciate any help you may have....oh, did I mention...I have drained the oil so now I can't drive it anywhere. Nice!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Final Drive filler plug....stop me before I....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGATUR
OK...all of this talk about the final drive failures made me go out in the garage and drain the drive oil.....and it certainly looks like it needed it!

The good news is that nothing but dirty black gear oil poured out....even the magnetic plug had nothing but sludge on it....then again, I only have 14k on a 2002.

Anyway.....now that I have drained the oil, luck would have it I can't get the filler plug out.

This isn't some reverse thread thing is it? Before I REALLY lean on the allen wrench, and strip the head, and rake my knuckles across the brake caliper or rotor, and scream obsenities.....anyone have a suggestion? I hesitate to take heat to the aluminum housing. And again, I really don't want to lean on it for fear of stripping the head. I tried a pipe extension on the wrench to get more leverage, but the fear of stripping....

Appreciate any help you may have....oh, did I mention...I have drained the oil so now I can't drive it anywhere. Nice!

Mike
I suggest you remove the fill plug before the drain plug to ensure you can drive it somewhere in case the fill plug won't come out.

I haven't changed the FD oil on my LT as yet so I can't say for sure that this is a right-hand thread, but I can't imagine it being left-handed. I assume you just need to apply more torque. A little heat might help, but be careful you don't overdo it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Start with a highend allen wrench or socket. I have used them all over the years and have settled on using Snapon or Mac only when it comes these socket head plugs. When removing do it in one quick shove on the tool. Kinda a abrupt movement. The slow steady pressure seems to strip them out everytime. And yes they are a normal right hand thread. Just kinda pop it loose......

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Just changed mine. It's not a reverse thread. I know it's too late now, but several posts on this site suggest making sure you can get the fill plug loose before draining. It must be a pretty common problem. Most of the really knowledgable members on this site are at CCR (a 1200lt event). So hold on, you'll probably get some more info from the wiser ones among us.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGATUR

Mike
It's a standard rh thread. If you really think it may require a lot of torque to remove it, go get some valve grinding (lapping) compound at NAPA and coat the hex key. The lapping compound will fill any voids and increase grip to prevent slippage. Then you could even use a small cheater pipe.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Get a good quality 3/8" or 1/2" drive Allen socket. While applying firm pressure on the ratchet or break over handle, tap the socket with a hammer. The vibration will usually cause the plug to release.
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Yep....I guess you (I) should always remove the filler plug first....just in case you (I) have to drive it somewhere to get the plug out.

Well, it is out without damage....to either me or the bike.

Just took some serious pulling with the cheater pipe on the wrench....and no, it is not a reverse thread....it is just on there pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback....it is out and re-filled...ready to go tomorrow.

Mike
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Steady pressure is just going to strip it or break "something"..

You need to jar it loose, if you're strong enough a "whack" from the "butt" of your hand (that's how I do it) should "pop" it loose.

If you're going to use a hammer go with a rawhide or fiber (plastic) one, put some pressure on the allen wrench (to make sure it doesn't come out of the hole) and give it a good "tap"

Edit: glad you got it, use my advice next time (trust me)

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Glad you got things unstuck.. now, make sure there is a washer in there next time and don't "weld" it tight.... just "snug" is plenty.. make sure you can remove it at whatever pressure you set... and remember, it will be harder to undo.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Just curious about the "dirty black gear oil" that came out. I've got 36,000 miles and have changed mine 5-6 times and I don't remember anything but clean oil coming out. Wonder if mine is unusual or maybe yours went a little too long between changes? I'm not using synthetic....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 12:29 pm

I know this sound silly but give the plug a rap with a hammer like you are driving a nail. 99% of the time it will jar the threads loose before even putting a wrench on them.

Remember this is an Aluminum alloy housing so don't use a 5 lb maul with a 3 foot handle.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Just curious about the "dirty black gear oil" that came out. I've got 36,000 miles and have changed mine 5-6 times and I don't remember anything but clean oil coming out. Wonder if mine is unusual or maybe yours went a little too long between changes? I'm not using synthetic....
Hi, Dan. I don't use synthetic, either. I've had my double naught for just over a year and I've changed the FD fluid 3 times. The first, shortly after I bought it with 17,500 miles on it. It looked pretty dark that time too. Lots of gunk on the magnet. The past two times have been at oil change intervals. Much lighter in color and the last time, very little crud on the magnet.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
Hi, Dan. I don't use synthetic, either. I've had my double naught for just over a year and I've changed the FD fluid 3 times. The first, shortly after I bought it with 17,500 miles on it. It looked pretty dark that time too. Lots of gunk on the magnet. The past two times have been at oil change intervals. Much lighter in color and the last time, very little crud on the magnet.
Thanks, thought that maybe I was removing the wrong oil. I change all three (3) primary fluids every 6,000 miles at the same time. One mess as opposed to three messes and I've been surprised at how clean it is. Seems a waste to remove it as it looks so clean, but I write it off to cheeeeeep insurance. Now the engine oil is a different color. Dark and grungy.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 10:28 am

When you reinstall the plugs don't over tighten them. Use a new sealing ring and torque both the fill and drain plugs to 23nm. That's not very tight.

Some ham fisted mechanic may have over tightened them before. As stated above, a good quality hex socket on a ratchet will work better than the allen wrench in the tool kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in