Clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Question Clutch

Need tech support how to install new LT 2002 Clutch..

Is this a long hard process ?

Any better clutches in the after market world ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:48 pm

Re: Clutch

There are a few links here about how to do that... Try the HOW (Hall Of Wisdom) as well as the search function....

I'll try on my own and post a couple links fer ya.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...w_faq_tsclutch

then click on the links under "clutch".

and dis one http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ch+replacement

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cfell; Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:03 am.
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:28 am

Smile Re: Clutch

clutch replacement is not for the faint hearted. If you are comfortable with tearing things apart and putting them back together then it is very doable.

1. suggestion though that will help a lot, take lots of pictures and every screw and bolt you take off, put them in small baggies and label them as to where they go. This will help out in the long run as you start to put things back together again. If you are comfortable wrenching and you have a good manual, you can get to the clutch in about 6 hours, another 4 to replace and probably 10 to get back together as you have to be concerned with all the torque values needed . It helps a lot if you have someone who can read the manual as you proceed and call out values needed for your various bolts.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 1:32 am

The only reason I would recommend paying a dealer to do this job is that the BMW parts and labor come with a 2 year warranty, plus its done by someone who has experience doing it.

You don't want to spend the time and money to do this yourself only to find out the hard way you didn't install your rear main seal correctly and end up having to foot the bill twice.

Just my $.04

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackAdaptor
Need tech support how to install new LT 2002 Clutch..

Is this a long hard process ?

Any better clutches in the after market world ?
If you've got the time, the tools, the manual, the 'specialty' items, and can give yourself the warranty, then go for it. I don't, so here is what ole Toad looked like during OR at the pro's shop!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toad'stranny.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	19156  
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:05 am

Garage

If you do go the dealer route, you could save some labor time and money by removing the tupperware yourself. Probably a few hours labor charge for that. (another $.02 contributed.)

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

ďIts unexplained, because they havenít explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.Ē - Ruest
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Finished mine about four months ago. There are some special BMW jegs and tools you need. If you have to buy them all, expect to put about $400 into them. Seal pullers and seaters are very helpful. A motocycle lift is almost a must have, unless you can bend over and get up and down about a thousand times. See if there is someone around you that can lend the tools to you for an extended time. Also there are some parts of this job where an extra hand is almost necessary. PM if you want more of my worthless advice. I have an unending supply of it. Good Luck.
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisman
Finished mine about four months ago. There are some special BMW jegs and tools you need. If you have to buy them all, expect to put about $400 into them. Seal pullers and seaters are very helpful. A motocycle lift is almost a must have, unless you can bend over and get up and down about a thousand times. See if there is someone around you that can lend the tools to you for an extended time. Also there are some parts of this job where an extra hand is almost necessary. PM if you want more of my worthless advice. I have an unending supply of it. Good Luck.
I bought NO BMW tools, did not use a lift, and had no help. It was time consuming, but after making a couple of tools myself it was not terribly difficult. The only tools I had to make were the cutaway 30MM socket, the holder bar for the drive plate, and very helpful are two long cut-off 8MM bolts to use for transmission alignment on re-install.

I don't quite understand many people's NEED for a lift! I did two clutch jobs, and pulled the entire engine once to replace the sprag clutch, and there is absolutely no way I would pay the money for a lift to be used very occasionaly. I am now 65 years old, and working on the floor was just plain not an issue. Now if I worked on motorcycles every week, a lift would be a nice addition, but absolutely no way I would consider one "necessary".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I bought NO BMW tools, did not use a lift, and had no help. It was time consuming, but after making a couple of tools myself it was not terribly difficult. The only tools I had to make were the cutaway 30MM socket, the holder bar for the drive plate, and very helpful are two long cut-off 8MM bolts to use for transmission alignment on re-install.

I don't quite understand many people's NEED for a lift! I did two clutch jobs, and pulled the entire engine once to replace the sprag clutch, and there is absolutely no way I would pay the money for a lift to be used very occasionaly. I am now 65 years old, and working on the floor was just plain not an issue. Now if I worked on motorcycles every week, a lift would be a nice addition, but absolutely no way I would consider one "necessary".
I have done this once and I agree with dshealey. No special tools are needed to buy. Motorcycle lift is not needed for occasional job, thus it would be fine to have.

You have to secure that your bike stands straigth when you remove center stand and gearbox. Well, I have a small crane which helps a lot, but is also not must.

The only thing is that you have to be confident with you own work. Many people are not, and they complain about warranty. This is your own choice. I do not need warranty, I can do it once again using few extra hours if necessary. And still it would be much cheaper than use dealer once. On the otherway I do these works to get to know my own bike and it's technology.

Regards
Leiboshi
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 3:18 pm

So far, no after market clutch parts.

Cyclecamper, Greg, tried moding the LT clutch. Some where after his third of fourth clutch install, he disappeared from this forum.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 7:14 am

I did my clutch replacement in my back yard on a sheet of plywood!!! A lift would have been nice so I could have gotten up off the ground some. My back was SORE after that job! I only misplaced two bolts that go to the pillion seat and I found them later under the seat. I wondered during the process if I'd bit off more than I could chew but when she cranked and ran like a top.......I was pleased. I made a set of line up pins like dshealey and I have a friend who owns a muffler shop and I used his cut off saw to saw the top off a 30mm socket and weld it on the side. Other than that, I used what was in my tool box and my God given mechanical abilities............and saved well over $1,000 bucks.................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

Yeah, well - you just wait 'til you're 66!!!!

Unlike you younger fellers, I don't get up and down off the floor too good anymore (read - overweight and outta shape), and I find I do a much better job at all the facets of wrenching when thangs are near my eye level and I'm comfortable in posture and reach. YMMV, butt I'm a lift lover - expecially when there are more scoots than ole Toad, who use my lift several times a year.
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yeah, well - you just wait 'til you're 66!!!!

Unlike you younger fellers, I don't get up and down off the floor too good anymore (read - overweight and outta shape), and I find I do a much better job at all the facets of wrenching when thangs are near my eye level and I'm comfortable in posture and reach. YMMV, butt I'm a lift lover - expecially when there are more scoots than ole Toad, who use my lift several times a year.
I agree with you Dick, that it is nice to have. But it is not must.

Regards
Leiboshi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in