k1200lt windshield retractor arms - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

k1200lt windshield retractor arms

Hello, just joined this community as I have recently purchased a 2002 K1200LT and have a question already. The windshield retractor arm pin and spring have popped out of the arm itself and I want to replace them. I have the windshield removed and am trying to remove the plastic panel directly behind the windshield which will provide access to the arm, but it appears to be stuck. I have removed all the screws that I can see and the panel is loose, but something is holding it in the centre section, very close to the dome light. Has anyone had experience with this item that could share some knowledge as to what to do next. It looks as if just some additional force may be the answer, but unsure at this point and don't want to break it and make this a worse situation
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: k1200lt windshield retractor arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45cycle
Hello, just joined this community as I have recently purchased a 2002 K1200LT and have a question already. The windshield retractor arm pin and spring have popped out of the arm itself and I want to replace them. I have the windshield removed and am trying to remove the plastic panel directly behind the windshield which will provide access to the arm, but it appears to be stuck. I have removed all the screws that I can see and the panel is loose, but something is holding it in the centre section, very close to the dome light. Has anyone had experience with this item that could share some knowledge as to what to do next. It looks as if just some additional force may be the answer, but unsure at this point and don't want to break it and make this a worse situation
Thanks in advance
There is a screw behind the "dome" light. You need to carefully insert a screwdriver in the notch at the left side of the light and pry it out. The screw is hard to see, a flashlight helps.

If you don't have the BMW service CD or a Clymer manual, I strongly suggest getting one or both.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:11 am

The screw behind the dash light should do it, If not, you missed the two screws in the slots that the arms come through. Once you get the cover off be prepared to repair it yourself. The arms are not a part you can order, You must buy the whole assy with the motor and all. And that is very expensive.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 8:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
The screw behind the dash light should do it, If not, you missed the two screws in the slots that the arms come through. Once you get the cover off be prepared to repair it yourself. The arms are not a part you can order, You must buy the whole assy with the motor and all. And that is very expensive.
Here's some repair info I received after I made what I thought was a fairly clean fix: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33784

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, job done! The pivot pin anchoring the spring and the retractor arms is now in proper place in the plastic housing working as intended.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 6:48 pm

I just broke the bracket behind the dome light getting to the windshield bracket. I can fix it but their needs to be more info on the best way to access the parts of the BMW LT. I want the simpliest and most direct route to service the bike. That windhshield assembly is way to fragile for my engineering taste.
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:12 am

While that windshield assembly seems might fragile, the breakaway capability of it will keep you from getting seriously hurt by a more rigid set up. But I have to agree that should be several replaceable pieces instead of one very expensive part.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 5:21 pm
CVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
There is a screw behind the "dome" light. You need to carefully insert a screwdriver in the notch at the left side of the light and pry it out. The screw is hard to see, a flashlight helps.

If you don't have the BMW service CD or a Clymer manual, I strongly suggest getting one or both.
Hi everyone,
I guess I'm not the only one that's having problems with my windshield. I was wondering if I could get some 'guiding light' (input) to the problem I'm having with mine. Here goes nothing:

I'm having problems in getting the windscreen to raise up all the way. There is no binding (as far as I can tell) and I've also lubed the pivot arms to give it some freedom to 'slide back and forth.' I've been told that it may be the motor that has a dead spot in it at that specific place. I'm just wondering if it may be something else that could be binding? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
CVV
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVV
Hi everyone,
I guess I'm not the only one that's having problems with my windshield. I was wondering if I could get some 'guiding light' (input) to the problem I'm having with mine. Here goes nothing:

I'm having problems in getting the windscreen to raise up all the way. There is no binding (as far as I can tell) and I've also lubed the pivot arms to give it some freedom to 'slide back and forth.' I've been told that it may be the motor that has a dead spot in it at that specific place. I'm just wondering if it may be something else that could be binding? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
CVV
Is it while riding on the freeway (I'm now a true Californian - I say freeway. It was expressway where I grew up, Massachussetts)? If so, it's normal. Some bikes have no trouble with freeway speeds (like mine) but some do.

If I remember correctly (from reading posts) there's nothing you can do about it short of replacing the motor. You may have to live with slowing down to the speed it goes all the way up and then speeding back up again. Or you can buy a newer one (2005 and up) on fleabay, they're now going for a reasonable amount.

My $0.02. YMMV.

Chime in hear if I'm wrong, peoples.

mike p
2005 BMW K1200LT (got it in July 2007)
2002 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R (parked next to the LT)
1982 Suzuki GS-750EZ (paid $500
for it in 1985, sold it for $450 in 2000)
1978 Honda CB-500F (sold in 1980)
1976 Honda CB-400F (drowned to
death in the blizzard of 1978 in Boston)
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 18th, 2009, 8:03 pm
CVV

Thanks for the quick reply. I was even testing it out with the machine standing still. Goes up most of the way and then just sits there. I know I was using it 2 weeks back on my vacation and it worked fine. I guess when she goes...she goes.
Yup...I suppose I'll check what Fleabay has to offer.
Thanks again for your help,
Cheers.
CVV
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:40 am

If you need a new motor, I have one . I already cannibalized the arms, but the motor is virtually new.
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Motors are very available, because they rarely fail
most of the problems with raising and lowering the windshields can be solved with just a little lubrication,
really it's just that simple!

so before you start replacing parts,
if your windshields moves a little,..... lube it (some more)
if it doesn't move one direction or another check both relays,
if it doesn't move at all, then check the motor.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:14 pm
CVV

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the input! Greatly appreciate it. Have lubed the pivot arms before but the only issue is that it goes up 3/4 of the way and stops. Tried to repeat this several times to see if I could 'jarr' it any further...but I believe there may be a dead spot in the motor. Yup, motors don't fail too often, but if anyone has more suggestions, it'll be great. If it is the motor, any great steps I need to know before I dig this thing out? Can it be done without removing all that tupperware? I can see a clear shot of it around the headlight, but if things will start falling out of it when I remove the motor, then I will have to take the plunge and of course do it the long way.
Once again, thanks for everyones help!

Cheers,
CVV
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVV
the only issue is that it goes up 3/4 of the way and stops
That tells me the problem is not the motor,
by the time the windshield gets 3/4 up the motor has made many revolutions,
I'm going to guess that one of the pivots is broken at the bracket,
you'll need to remove the windshield and the cover behind it,
six screws plus one behind the map light and you've got access.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:31 pm
CVV

Thanks for the guided support. I will check that out tomorrow.
Take care everyone!

Regards,
CVV
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:11 pm

Hi, Recently had to repair the windshield bracket for my 2000 LT, I downloaded a repair manual for free from http://pdftown.com/BMW-K1200LT-Service-Manual.html it told me about the screw that hides behind the light fixture. I cannot say that the manual is an "idiots guide" but it is a great resource, and I have been able to do a few other maintenance jobs on the bike easily because of it.
Enjoy your new bike

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in