What I learned riding an LT to Jasper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

What I learned riding an LT to Jasper

I just returned from my first long trip (3000 miles) on my 2003 LT and I think I learned a few things that I would like to share.

1. Don't worry about final drives, clutch slaves cylinders and shifter linkage breakage on a trip. If you take care of your LT, it will take care of you and chances are it will give you no problems.

2. You will have no problem keeping up with the Goldwings, either on the freeway or in the twisties.

3. By the time you return, you will have a new appreciation for the LT and will have bonded with her.

4. Despite your experiences on a Harley, you do not have to panic if you go into a turn a little hot, because all you have to do is stay with her and the LT will handle a curve like it is on rails.

5. You can love an LT just as much as a 86 Harley FXRD and you will feel a lot more relaxed at the end of a three hundred mile day.

6. There is a beautiful world out there and communing with nature salves the soul.

7. If you respect people they will usually, but not always, show respect for you.

8. Family and good friends are important in making life worthwhile.

9. There are a lot of interesting and friendly people out there, but there are also some jerks. The secret is to determine which is which and ignore the jerks.

10. Whatever power created this earth had a great sense of beauty and a delightful sense of humor.

11. When you return home from a great bike trip, you will have a sense of longing for some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Re: What I learned riding an LT to Jasper

I realize that, but you have to cut me some slack, this is my first Beemer and I rode Harleys for the last 30 years. My point in writing this blurb was to note the difference between the two marques. I do not want to offend Harley riders, but I was amazed at how comfortable and rideable the LT is.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 4:10 pm

I have been to Jasper and back from MN on both an '95 HD Ultra (3 times) and an '05 LT (twice in one year), I have also done 1,000 mile days on both. The LT wins in the twisties hands down but my Ultra was the more relaxed / enjoyable ride. I always found myself pushing the LT quite a bit harder which was great fun, but lost site of what was important - the view. The Ultra was/is alot more comfy.

JMHO

Dave

An '06 GS Adv. has replaced them both and been MUCH further North.

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Im glad you found some enjoyment on the LT

Just a curious question do you have a stock seat or a custom to help the ride better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #5 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Nice to see you enjoyed the ride.

"If you take care of your LT, it will take care of you..."

The big failures, FD, seals and slave cylinder taking out the clutch don't seem to be influenced by taking care of your LT.

Bob, 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Hope you enjoyed the beautiful scenery in the Jasper area. My first trip there was in 1973 on my first Beemer, a 750 fully dressed(in that time it was a full fairing, bags, and rear carrier). Quite a bike compared to my 80cc Suzzuki. I was living in Edmonton at the time, and Jasper was only a short trip away, nothing to do after work on a Friday in July, but I didn't allow for a downpour all the way there. Great to finally get to the mountains, hit the local pubs and finally pitch a tent in the dark at midnight. Woke up the next morning to 6 inches of snow on the ground and our tent surrounded by elk tracks. Had to wait until noon before the roads were good to go....I shouldn't say how we kept warm between Jasper and Banff...but those were the old days when a flask was as much a part of your bike trip as a bedroll....

You bring back great memories by mentioning your first trip to Jasper....I hope I can get my LT there sometime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in