Valve Tappets - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Valve Tappets

Ok, So a few of us took the day off from riding here in the Northeast so we could have some fun working on a couple of bikes. So we are doing the valve tappets(buckets) on my 05. Attached is a spreadsheet that we bummed off the site. I am a very visual person, so thanks for making it available.

Anyway. I know I need to measure each and every tappet to see if it is still in spec. Lets assume that they are for sake of discussion. I know I can swap buckets to save money. So if the Exhaust 2A bucket is a 2.75 and the intake 1A requires a 2.75 I can move the 2a bucket to intake 1A. I then may need to buy the replacement for Exhaust 2a.

My real question is this. How close is close enough? If the current tappet is 2.80 and the sheet calls for a 2.75. Do I need to replace it? It is still in spec right?
Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200LT_Tappets.xls (15.0 KB, 99 views)

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 1:37 pm

Re: Valve Tappets

Jim,

Here is an interesting statement from David Shealey… thanks Dave
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23308

<QUOTE>Having the valve clearance on the high end of the spec, or even 0.001" looser, will change the valve timing such a negligable amount no one will be able to tell the difference. Having them 0.001" tighter than spec. will cause the valve to start opening just slightly on the "clearance ramp", which is a much slower movement than the actual opening/closing ramps on the cams. That is BAD, as it starts the high pressure gas seeping through the exhaust valve at very high speed, which can start eroding small tracks in the valve face/seat. That progresses to burned tracks that mean a valve grinding, or valve replacement will be necessary.

I never hesitated to run the valve clearance between middle of spec to 0.001 looser. No "feelable" performance issue will result, but will help prevent valves from wearing to below spec before next check.

The valves wear tighter because of the valve face and seat wearing, letting the valve seat lower in the head. If you ever get one wearing looser, that is a sign of something bad happening, either lifter, cam or cam bearings wearing. Those are worse than the valve/seat wear, as it is much more expensive to repair later.<QUOTE>

The bold comments above tell me, AND with the way you ride Gretchen… you need to get some smaller tappets and go to the highest gap!

I don’t think you need to measure each and every tappet to see if it is still in spec… because the wear is on the valve face and seat which closes the gap between the tappet and the cam

Looking at the spreadsheet… it looks like you can only re-use a total of 7 tappets you already have.

The four 2.750’s. Those will be for intake 1A &B, 2A, and 4A… AND three of the 2.800’s. Those will be for intakes 2B, 3A & B

So IMHO… You need:

one - 2.750 (exhaust 2A)
four – 2.700 (intake 4B, exhaust 1B, 2B, and 3B)
four – 2.650 (exhaust 1A, 3A, and 4A & B)

NOTE: I also read somewhere that some dealers will exchange tappets (cause they don’t wear). You might want to take six of the 2.800’s and the three 2.850s to the dealer when you go

COMMENTS PLEASE
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Re: Valve Tappets

Doug,

Thanks. What you wrote is what I came up with all things being equal. So I feel better about what I was doing now. My paper diagram says I need to replace all exhaust tappets and one intake. The rest can be moved around to the appropriate location.

I will call Max tomorrow to see what he has in stock and order them.

Thanks again. Anybody have any more advice? This whole valve/tappet thing scares the hell out of me. I feel a lot better now that someone else has vetted my assumptions. Last Evening I could not get my mind around it all. I think I finally understand it. It is a lot of work though. And a lot of down time if you do not have the tappets. Maybe another reason to look seriously at an R Bike of some type.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in