48k Maintenance 2000LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Cool 48k Maintenance 2000LT

Slowly doing a 48K on my 2000 LT. I have not had all the tupperware off yet, have changed trans and final drive fluids, front and rear brake fluids and pads. I do change the final drive fluids with every oil change 3-4 K miles. I am waiting until I know that I have more than ample time to complete the job with out being rushed. I have read,(heard) that there are no quick disconnects on the 99&00 Lt's for the fuel tank? Also, should the oxygen sensor be changed automatically at this time. I have acquired the tune up kit from beemer boneyard but did not purchase a sensor. Should I order a sensor and quick disconnects before I start. Thanks for any input. Steve Miller 2000 K1200Lt with 53000 fabulous miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Re: 48k Maintenance 2000LT

Hi Steve.

I've got a '99 LT and there were no quick disconnects on mine. I just waited until the fuel level was low before servicing and used a clamp on the hoses.

I do have metal quick connects installed now.

I've got 56,000 miles on my bike now and haven't replaced the O2 sensor. I did have to replace some valve "buckets" at 48,000 miles.

My gas mileage has stayed the same - about 42 mpg so I don't think I have a sensor problem.

I would also recommend changing your clutch fluid if it hasn't been done as well as the coolant if it's original. The coolant is the same as BMW automotive branded stuff.

Did your tune up kit include an air filter and fuel filter? That's recommended at 48k too. You may want to order a gasket for the fuel filter flange too - good insurance against leaks as long as you have the tank off.

Good luck with your maintenance.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Joe, Planning on changing clutch fluid and coolant also. My mileage is just around 50 mpg but 95% of my driving is on 4 lane highway at a constant speed. Is it recomended to use BMW coolant? Just asking, better to be safe than sorry, found that it is better to ask than to feel foolish after the fact. Is there anything that I should do with the chatcoal canister while I have the bike apart? Thanks, Steve

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Steve,

Others have used other coolants with good results too. I just didn't want to do a lot of research since it only takes 1 gallon of 50% diluted coolant so I used the BMW brand.

I removed my canister as many others have done soon after I got the bike and have had no problems. There are instructions on this site in the technical hall of wisdom section. You can get to the canister by removing the top case and rear cover so you don't have to have all the other tupperware off.

I do get better mileage when traveling but most of my miles are just back and forth to work.

When I went to Big Bend N.P. this spring I got more like 46 - 46 for the trip.

I need to get out more...

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 12:43 pm

My O2 sensor went about 57k, may have just been a coincidence but as long as you have the bike apart, might be a good idea to change it.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 2:01 pm

We have a 99. I debated for some time what to do at the 45k, and asked a LOT of questions from people that have been there.

I changed filters and fluids, new shocks, autoswitch for the Motolights, should have installed TWO 30" sections of HP BMW fuel hose and metal unions instead of the plastic (allows you to move the fuel tank around should you need to do other work without having to disconnect the lines, and HAVE the ends crimped by the dealer), fixed many poor wiring jobs done previously, found a number of bad parts in the process, and have run at least six tanks of high concentrations of Sea Foam fuel cleaner through.

The problems I was having with RMP fluctuations have stopped. The first of the day stalling has stopped, at least for now.......won't know for sure until daily temps get into the low 40's or below.

The bike runs much better. I get 43 two up, 48 when I follow my buddy on his Triumph. 41 if I am running above 6.5k rpm's for any period of time.

I did not do the valves, and have talked to more than a few that have not found a need to do so at that mileage. If I had the money, I would have, just so I would have known if it needed it.

Also disconnected the canister lines. No need to remove it.
Needed a new battery after just 18 months, which was a BMW battery.

Dealer stated clutch fluid was like new.

With no money to waste, did all that was necessary, and the bike is running really well.

I found all the foam type grease washers missing on the shift linkage, and the lock pins were badly bent out of shape. Only a matter of time till they would have let lose.

Added the HID low bean, THE best investment made on the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in