Confused! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Confused!

I am new to the site and have been reading a lot about the problem with the rear seal and back bearing. A friend also has a BMW and his bike left him stranded in MN. I want a K1200LT but might settle with a Goldwing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Re: Confused!

I have never owned a Gold wing ...But i am sure if you go to the gold wing site you can find owners there mad and disappointed about there product...its human nature to complain when things go wrong....take everything you read with a grain of salt...

This is a great site to learn from and to share experiences with and for other BMW owners to gather information with....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BWMMOA #143899
Dennis Eckenrode
Menifee Ca.

post #3 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwanaride
I am new to the site and have been reading a lot about the problem with the rear seal and back bearing. A friend also has a BMW and his bike left him stranded in MN. I want a K1200LT but might settle with a Goldwing.
Jim,
Welcome to the site!
There have been many posts to this site regarding comparisons of GW vs LT's. GW's have mechanical issues as do all bikes.

Realize that not every LT owner is a member of this site and those that have reported rear drive issues have estimated that 4% of those have had issues at one tome or another.

I can't speak for the GW's, but I'll ride my LT till it won't ride any more. Great machine.

Check out these posts for GW final drive issues.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Don't be Confused!

Hi Jim.

I've got a first year ('99) LT which I bought used with 9,000 miles on the odometer. 56,000 mile now and it hasn't let me down in any way.

I did have the rear bearing changed to the new style just for peace of mind, but the original one may have been fine. I don't worry about it and change the fluid every 6,000 miles. It is always very clean.

I'll have mine paid off next year and was thinking about adding a smaller bike for some of the gravel roads around here. I went to one of the web sites about Suzuki v-strom 650 and read about lots of problems there too.

I think that's the nature of motorcycle model specific forums and they must be taken with a grain (or two) of salt.

Best wishes.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 12:23 pm

Smile Re: Confused!

Hi jim Bad news always gets a lot of press. like others have said take it with a grain of salt. If its mechanical and made by man it will break. Never owned a GW but understand they have there problems too. I bough a 03 LT new, it just turned 84,000 mi. on the clock. In that time I replaced one front fork seal ($128) parts and labor and did a preemptive change on clutch slave cyl. ($112) parts, labor at tech sesson. It is with out a dought the best and cheapest motorcycle I have ever owned.
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Hi Jim,

The debate between GL1800 and K1200LT has been going since the discovery of fire. Both bikes are great. Bottom line for myself and most people should be which one feels better to you when you ride.

I came off 120,000 mile with both 2001 and 2004 year GoldWings. No issues with either.

For me it was time for a change, and right now I am enjoying the suspension and feel of the LT.

Do I worry about a 4% chance or so of FD failure, no. I actually worry more about the higher service costs over the next few years if I do not have time to do them myself. But not worried very much.

Ride them both and decide.

Scott
Shingle Springs + Redwood City Ca

2008 K1200LT Black, (Big Black Whale)
2008 DRZ400SM white (Thumpers) wife's
1975 GL1000, Red #18406 (Lazarus)
1994 Quarter Horse, Brown, #3292487(Gaucho)

Last edited by mongo; Aug 25th, 2008 at 9:57 pm.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Love my LT and will stick with it but the reality is that when a big bike breaks down in the middle of nowhere, you are more likely to find a Honda shop. Maybe the biggest mistake BMW has made is forcing out their smaller dealers in more remote areas over the years.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:12 pm

Every machine will fail eventually. If you're looking for the perfect bike, buy a model and put it on the shelf--but make sure it's protected--because somebody will surely knock it over and break it.

Buy an LT because it is the best engineered 2-wheel conveyance and sure to satisfy nearly every urge to splurge: it's a sport bike on steroids, it's graceful, and the envy of just about any rider riding anything "less".

If you're looking for outs... the cup holder costs 150 bucks.. the 12K inspection will probably run you 1K.....

the satisfaction you get from twisties... or 2 up with your SO kicked back enjoying the ride...... PRICELESS.

A prejudice Beemer Rookie

Asleeplessknight
'03 LTE
'83 VF750F
'74 MT250
'72 SL125
'70 Sears.... nah
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:02 am
jsr

Been riding for over 300,000 miles and been left stranded by every bike. Always been able to find a work around. Plan your way out and be aware that you could have the same problem with a car, truck, rv, plane, bicycle, or any other means of transportation short of your feet (they can have there own problems). Life is short, ride what you love and live with what happens (my wifes cancer has helped me to get even better at this).

Happy to say the LT has left me only once on the roadside 7 miles from home in 166,000 miles.

A bit of history, I spent 19+ years as a traveling salesman averaging between 60,000 and 80,000 miles per year and the great north country of the dakota's and minnesota, and have my fair share of learning experiences regarding vehicle problems.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwanaride

Well, may I make the discreet observation that the Honda-Davidson shops seem to all have "service" departments? Yes, they sell more than Taiwan chromed bits, bawdles and clothing?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:29 am

My 01 wing was hot, uncomfortable, and the rear left bag lock broke. That was on brand new wing.

My 99 LT ,used, I bought in 04 with 15K now has 54K, replace the shaft, but otherwise problem free.

Took it to Alaska and back in 07, travelling trouble free 12060 miles. I love my LT and would not ride anything less.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in