Gasket / Rubber Seal on Oil Filter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 4:25 am Thread Starter

Gasket / Rubber Seal on Oil Filter

Hello all,

I have started the process of servicing my Dec 02 LT. When I dropped out the oil filter, I was very surprised when a second oil seal or rubber ring dropped from the chamber that the oil filter is housed in. I have only ever seen these type of metal case oil filters making a snug fit against steel with just the small o ring to from a seal.

This ring that dropped out is about 1/4 inch high sort of square in structure and wider on the bottom. Not tapered but stepped. Of course it is circular to mate with the oil filter.

My question: what way should it go back in? The way I have assumed is that I place the wider end on the filters rubber ring and screw the whole lot in together. To be more specific, this ensures that the narrow end of the rubber goes up into the bike first.

The other thing that I was really surprised to see was that inside this chamber, it is full of oil. I expected it to be dry. Is this the purpose of the thick rubber seal? It is supposed to be wet (with oil), isn't it?

Thanks a lot to all,

Mark Breen
Ireland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 5:32 am

Does it look like the rubber seal of the oil filter? If the oil filter you removed still has it's rubber seal on it then that "second" rubber seal must have come from the previous filter change. The oil filters have been known to leave their rubber seals behind when replacing.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 6:35 am Thread Starter

Hello,

thanks for your reply,

no, this rubber is a much bigger item, it is about 1/2 inch high by 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide, and it is square, it is not an o ring, more like a square ring,

Anybody else any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 7:17 am

Oil filter gasket

Mark,

The only seal that belongs in there is the the seal which comes with the oil filter. Typically this is a "square, round" ring which is fitted into a recess in the oil filter. When you removed the oil filter was there a seal still attached to the filter, and a second one which came out after?
It is possible that someone previously removed an oil filter but the gasket of that filter was left behind and didn't come out with the filter. Then when a new filter was placed the old one remained, resulting in you finding two. When you put in a new filter, wipe a thin layer of oil on the seal of the new filter before screwing it into place, this reduces the risk of it sticking when you change it out next time. When the new filter goes in, there should be only one gasket attached to the filter, and inside the sump there should be only the metal flange of the filter seat.

Yes, there is normally oil surrounding the oil filter. It is sort of an unusual design but that is the setup. This is a reason you don't want to put an aftermarket painted filter in there, there is concern the paint will flake off the filter housing and contaminate the oil and plug passageways.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 8:58 am

On top of what Charlie said, I'd prime the filter by filling close to the top with oil.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Hello Charlie and Griff,

Thanks for that, Charlie, you are on the money, the seal was from the filter that I took off. Thanks for that and thanks for suggesting that it was the previous person that made the silly mistake and not me.

Griff, I used to do that, and I had actually forgotton it completely. Thanks for reminding me,

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in