Flat battery - no lights - no starter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Flat battery - no lights - no starter

Well I am having a lovely week with batteries. Firstly I left the seat open slightly on 'er indoor's S-Wing leading to a flat battery.

Then, I went out in my little car to pick her up from work. Wouldn't restart, flat battery and had to bump start it.

Today, we went off for a little jolly on the K1200LT and stopped for an hour. I forgot to turn off my driving lamps which I haven't yet got round to wiring through the ignition relay. As a result I had weedy panel lights. I attempted to start it with the expected non result. Then I pushed the bike to the top of the hill and tried to bump start it, not noticing that I had no panel lights at all. That of course failed and we had to push it back up the 1 in 4 slope! Still no lights and no spark when disconnecting / flashing the battery.

The battery is a recent BMW gel battery and is now on charge. I remember something about a similar problem with a 2000 LT but haven't been able to locate the thread. I seem to remember that it is more than just putting a fresh battery on.

Any advice would be appreciated please. I have to drive back 10 miles to collect the bike and it HAS to start. :-)

P.S. Now found a few bits of info. Surprised no spark from flashing the contacts though.

Just pussin' through.

Last edited by Ajlelectronics; Aug 24th, 2008 at 1:22 pm. Reason: I'm in pillock mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 1:25 pm

Re: Flat battery - no lights - no starter

What year LT ?

The early 99/00 had starter relays that would weld themselfs closed if tried with a weak battery. If they do this they are in a constant state of battery drain.

Do a search on this and the cure is there as well.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 3:40 pm

A lot of times if you take those gel batteries all the way to flat, they won't come back...

Hopefully yours will.

We've all been there.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
A lot of times if you take those gel batteries all the way to flat, they won't come back...

Hopefully yours will.

We've all been there.

John
Thanks. Err, I think?

Will see in the morning if it has come up. It was disconnected fairly quickly and was only warn to the touch.

Just pussin' through.
post #5 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Well, I guess the story is the charger has to see some kind of voltage there before it will turn on or some crap like that.. Maybe you've just got a "charger"
without all the safety crap and it'll go ahead and charge it.

When you connect the battery if it starts to crank immediately, Turn on the key and hit the starter button a couple of times to free up the relay.. Sometimes that works. But the early model relays would weld shut if you tried to crank the motor on a weak battery... Sounds like yours was dead so hopefully this is not something you will have to deal with.

Good Luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Well, I guess the story is the charger has to see some kind of voltage there before it will turn on or some crap like that.. Maybe you've just got a "charger"
without all the safety crap and it'll go ahead and charge it.
Well it is like the Optimate. It is supposedly an intelligent charger. I saw it come on and start to charge but have not looked since. It folds back its charging current to trickle when done to maintain the battery indefinately.

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

By the way it is a 2000 LT

Just pussin' through.
post #7 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 4:16 pm

Speaking about batteries, does anyone know if the 06 LT comes standard with a gel battery?? I just purchased a new battery tender/charger and it has settings for standard battery or gel battery, so over the winter I can hook it up and I don't have to worry about the battery going flat. I just purchased my 06 LT about a few months ago and haven't looked at the battery yet. I believe it is a gel battery but I can't find anything that confirms this.
Thanks!
Jim
post #8 of 10 Old Aug 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator99
haven't looked at the battery yet. I believe it is a gel battery but I can't find anything that confirms this.
The battery I took out proclaimed on the side in big letters, that it was a BMW GEL battery.

Just pussin' through.
post #9 of 10 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:04 am Thread Starter

It worked! Put the freshly charged battery in and sure enough, the solenoid was stuck. Pulsing the starter button freed it off.

The only small niggle now is the idle speed is about 1400RPM although I expect that is down to the Motronic relearning.

Thanks for all the help! One happy bunny back on the big girl.

Just pussin' through.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
It worked! Put the freshly charged battery in and sure enough, the solenoid was stuck. Pulsing the starter button freed it off.

The only small niggle now is the idle speed is about 1400RPM although I expect that is down to the Motronic relearning.

Thanks for all the help! One happy bunny back on the big girl.
Very good .... On the early LT's, that the typical issue. Ride on !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in